Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ONE XL or the new ONE V3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ONE XL or the new ONE V3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: ONE XL or the new ONE V3 Reply with quote

Hi,

I had a Tom tom one V1. Until someone smashed my car window and stole it!.
I am now one the lookout for a new unit. I liked the tom tom one and so I would like another.
My question is should I get a V3 or the XL?
I liked my original ONE but always felt that it would benifit from a clearer display by that I mean larger.
But since the XL is rather out of date now with the release of the new one V3 maybe I would be better off with this.

Any help much appreciated.
andyculpin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the XL and V3 are the same apart from the larger screen my dad got the XL as he is old and nearly blind and I have the V3 both work the same.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful... the "V3" is NOT the same as the "Third edition" which is what you are probably seeing in the shops at the moment.
Best not to refer to "v" numbers at all, but go by the NAME on the box.

The Third Edition and the XL are certainly NOT the same apart from the screen.

Suggest you opt for the XL if you can afford the extra, or look for a ONE "New Edition" with was v2 or v3 depending on who you talk to.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyculpin wrote:
the XL and V3 are the same apart from the larger screen my dad got the XL as he is old and nearly blind and I have the V3 both work the same.

Is the text larger on the XL as I thought it just had a wider screen?

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Suggest you opt for the XL if you can afford the extra.

I've decided to get a ONE but until the issues with the Third Edition were resolved I've not done so. From all the comments on other threads it looks like the problems are sorted so if the text is not larger what would be the advantages of having the XL please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please have a read through This for some thoughts on the Third Edition unit, near the end is a photograph that offers a size comparison between a number of TomTom devices.

As for text size, this appear the same between the One Third and the One XL, but with the XL you get to see more of the map due to the larger screen.

The main advantages of the XL over the Third Edition is the SD Card slot to add extra maps or even larger area maps. Bluetooth for GPRS based services such as Buddies, Weather and Traffic. Finally the One XL is supplied with a full menu structure that works, the menu on the One Third Edition is best described as crippled - Mike
Deadonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I went for the XL in the end.
I havnt tried it in the car yet but looking at it now I think the larger screen was worth the extra cash.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a wise choice with the problems people seem to have with the Third Edition and its limited functionality - the One XL is a nice unit and capable of running the Version 6 or 7 software - Mike
Deadonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently running version 7.120

I updated it using Home 2.0 a few things were added such as map share and the new help guides.

Some of the help guides seem to be missing however. If I select the first aid guide for example a message is displayed on the top left of the screen "No information available".

It seems that I have not actually got the guide just simply the button for it.

Map share didnt have any updates for me either despite selecting to have updates confirmed by tom tom and then connecting to the Home 2.0 software.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Please have a read through This for some thoughts on the Third Edition unit,

Thanks Mike, great review but I'd read it. Now I've not owned a sat nav and I may have missed the point but I don't see the benefit of seeing further than the road that you need to turn into which is what the XL is giving?
I understand that you recommend the XL instead of the 3rd edition ONE for reasons other than the display width but if I could still get the 2nd edition ONE old stock would you still recommend the XL instead? I'm now in a position to order one so advice appreciated.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the similar choice 2 weeks ago. In the end I bought the One 3rd Edition over the XL.
Reasons where Price, the fact that I don't need to get any maps apart from the UK (hence no need for a SD slot or bigger memory), I don't need the buddies/weather/etc. All depends on what you want.
In terms of screen size I actually think the smaller 3rd Edition is big enough. It shows plenty of the map (with the status bar across the bottom).
The only downside seems to be the lack of the Itinerary function in the menu but I can live with it as most of my journeys are simply start to end type of affairs.

Good luck.
percymon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contemplated the same for three weeks, reading every thread on this forum !

Went with the XL..

1. it was £159 delivered from the link, so only £22 more than the One Third Edtn from amazon
2. too many bugs in the one 3rd at the time - now apparently largely resolved
3. lack of SD slot on the One 3rd Ed an economy too far - much easier to run a duplicated and custom setup with a second SD card
4. Larger screen

I've not hooked up to tomtom website for upates yet, so still running 6.75 but with the pocketgs speed cam database plus ogg voice warning files (and the tomtom speed databases removed) i have no issues whatsoever - worked straight out of the box, and now better still with my custom set-up. Next step to update with tomtom website downloads Sad
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered the XL or the One Europe (3rd Edition ) and went with the One. It's ultimately down to what you require and the features you want but I actually liked the size of the One as it neatly fits into my jeans pocket. It's got the latest maps included and the lack of SD card didn't really bother me.

An argument for the SD card is, for example, if you go to the States you couldn't fit the US maps on the device where as you could if you had the option of an SD card but to be honest if I went to the US I would just hire a car with Sat Nav included.

So, after a few re-booting issues to begin with (now sorted) I'm more than happy with the One and it does what it says on the tin.

spcdust
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the last 3 replies - all useful comments but I'm still thinking about it. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: