Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does Navman work with MS Streets & Trips (S&T)?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Navman work with MS Streets & Trips (S&T)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Does Navman work with MS Streets & Trips (S&T)? Reply with quote

As a new user, I've searched this forum but have found nothing on this subject for my iCN 530...

I wrote Navman twice to purchase European software, but they never responded. Since I have left home and am now in NYC for 2 days prior to leaving for France for 6 weeks, I decided instead to use my MS S&T. When I try to configure my 530, MS says the Com Port (3) is active, but there is no device there.

Is it possible that S&T isn't capable of seeing the 530 on the USB cable? If so, should I buy a USB-to-serial adapter and hope the software will then recognize the 530? Or is there some other easy way to get S&T to recognize my 530? (The 530 is equally cryptic -- the screen merely shows a USB device in endless loop...)

Thank you!
JS
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Navman work with MS Streets & Trips (S&T)? Reply with quote

JLS wrote:
As a new user, I've searched this forum but have found nothing on this subject for my iCN 530...

Quote:
I wrote Navman twice to purchase European software, but they never responded. Since I have left home and am now in NYC for 2 days prior to leaving for France for 6 weeks, I decided instead to use my MS S&T. When I try to configure my 530, MS says the Com Port (3) is active, but there is no device there.

Do you mean European mapping? If so it is available on their Store website.
How do you want to "configure? If you merely want to access the 530 software and hack it yourself, you don't need S&T, just use the USB cable and you should be able to access it.

Quote:
Is it possible that S&T isn't capable of seeing the 530 on the USB cable? If so, should I buy a USB-to-serial adapter and hope the software will then recognize the 530? Or is there some other easy way to get S&T to recognize my 530? (The 530 is equally cryptic -- the screen merely shows a USB device in endless loop...)

Thank you!
JS

Give a few more details and someone will try and help Wink
GeePee
JLS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your timely reply, Gee-Pee. Yes, my initial plan was to purchase European software directly from Navman, but my travel schedule meant there was nowhere I'd alight long enough for them to mail it. I was hoping to pay the fee and download it via wireless. They never responded to my multiple requests so I decided to simply use the Euro software in Streets&Trips.

In so doing, the Navman-to-laptop USB is not recognized. I am therefore inquiring of those more knowledgeable than I on this forum if perhaps a USB-to-Serial connection is needed or if there is some other preferred method to get S&T to recognize that a functioning GPS receiver is attached and attempting to communicate coordinates.

"Plug-and-play" is not working! S&T doesn't recognize that there is a GPS attached and the Navman 530 simply displays a blue screen with the words (and icons) "USB". If you -- or anyone else -- has successfully used S&T with the 530, I'd value your input as to how I might use the 530 as the receiver and S&T for detailed mapping.

Thanks again for your response,
JLS
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to 'unlock' the Navman to expose the full WinCE OS, I think. People have done it with other Navmen in the 5xx range and put TomTom on it, so it can be done. Of course, you'd only get Pocket Streets onto it.

If you search for 'TomTom on Navman' or something like that, there should be enough information available here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly you are trying to use the iCN530 as an external GPS Receiver to drive the Streets & Trips application on your laptop?

This isn't going to work as the iCN530 cannot be used in this way. A USB GPS Receiver can be purchased cheaply and will do as you need or you could purchase European Navman maps or an alternative GPS Solution with European mapping when you reach Europe.
JLS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim -- I may be getting closer to a solution. But, in this case, I'll have the laptop in the passenger's lap for all road journeys. I wouldn't have to load anything on the 530 -- I truly want to use it solely as a premier receiver (a la the Pharos receiver that comes, for an extra $80 US, with some copies -- not mine -- of Streets&Trips.) Once the coordinates are recognized by S&T, their mapping software -- on the laptop -- will do quite nicely as an ersatz substitute for Navman's, or TomTom's, or any other mapping software in the receiving unit itself.

It's possible, given my newness to all this, that I'm oversimplifying -- but the simpler the better in such things, right?!!

regards,
JLS
JLS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to you all. With just five hours before my flight, it seems Darren has provided the definitive answer: I can't do what I had hoped to do: use the Navman I really like to receive and the software in S&T to map.

I'd have been happy to buy the Navman Euro software but my travel schedule prevented it. Perhaps I can purchase it at a retail outlet somewhere in Paris? Or, conversely, Darren said, "A USB GPS Receiver can be purchased cheaply and will do as you need...or an alternative GPS Solution with European mapping when you reach Europe."

Do any of you experts recommend a particular USB GPS receiver that won't be too dear? (Since I will use the Navman for my long-term solution and just need a receiver purchased on the cheap for these next six weeks? And is there a retail outlet you'd recommend in France or Italy over any other? Finally, when Darren says "an alternative GPS solution" I presume that means buying a whole new GPS receiver a la the 530 but with Euro maps already loaded. If such an alternative exists without being too dear, I'm all ears for any recommendations...

What a great forum!
JLS
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB receivers are much alike. So long as you choose one that has a SiRFStarIII Chipset (most current ones do) then you can't really go wrong and they can be purchased for $60 or less.

A GPS such as a Tomtom ONE with full European Street level mapping would run to about $280.00, I suspect the weak Dollar won't make this very attractive though.

According to Navman UK's on-line store, their Euro mapping is $200 and only comes supplied on CD so would need to be loaded onto a storage card which may be impractical.

N.B. I'm using a £1 = $2 rough conversion rate here!
JLS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Given that time is short and this is basically a one-time solution, I think the + - $60 SiRFStarIII Chipset USB GPS is the most intelligent, if not most elegant, solution. I can have the taxi stop at an electronics superstore on the way to JFK and get one before I depart, saving the ignominy of admitting in Paris that I use the currently-debased US $.

When I return home, I plan to visit this forum often to learn much more.
With best regards,
JLS
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help, be sure to report back on how you got on and have a great trip Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: