Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 720 v7.020 Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 720 v7.020 Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsainsbury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that when connected to a PC the firmware application is reported as 7.010 and when the GO is removed it's reported as 7.020....

Perhaps thats the issue with the boot problem...
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops, I meant to put 7.010 Embarassed Embarassed
GO 920 Dead
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
yep done all that still shows 7.010 ..i have noticed 1 new police station now 37 miles away .but have also now noticed it is crashing again with xlrunner when updating map corrections Sad

When i updated last night and reconnected to Home 2 it downloaded 38 POI updates and 6 map updates then a further 12 POI updates this morning.
No xlrunner problems.

The one new police station would that be Gosport South Street as I added that one last night?
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did the update, no problems but although it now reads ver 7020 can't see any differences
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duffer wrote:
When you look at the link

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6141&Lid=1

scroll down the page and you see

Version 7.010
(TomTom GO 720/520 only)

Support for RDS-TMCpro in Germany (requires a TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic receiver)

This is the latest update

The latest is 7.020 as of last night but no mention of it.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these map updates to do with the map sharing side of things? Not an actual map update?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 MP3 player via FM is not working properly since the update. Evil or Very Mad

The FM transmits but I get no sound unless I stop the FM and restart it.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsainsbury wrote:
Funny that when connected to a PC the firmware application is reported as 7.010 and when the GO is removed it's reported as 7.020....

Perhaps thats the issue with the boot problem...

yep you right i checked my version on home last night .i have just checked on the unit and it now does say 7.020 very weird
lostinkent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: GO 720 v7.020 Update Reply with quote

720 stopped working after 7.02 update.
Just got a 720 (was ver 7.01) this week in preparation for trip to Spain at half term (this weekend) When logged onto Home tonight was told to ugrade to ver 7.02. Cannot get 720 to work now. Just get flashing red & whte x on screen. Tried reset and download agin several times but no good. When examine 720 via Home software it says Application Version 0 , size 10.5 Mb.
Any suggestins please I really need it for this weekend. Can i find a download for ver 7.01 anywhere??

Could anyone please help as I really need it this weekend.

Thanks.
kinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate people putting the newest firmware on their TomTom's and posting results. But it does beg the question ... Why dont you wait until you know exactly what it does ??

From reading this, im not going to get anythign more from the new update so why update ??

I would only update if i was given a list of decent upgrades or fixes for the unit.
lostinkent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: GO 720 v7.020 Update Reply with quote

Quote:
But it does beg the question ... Why dont you wait until you know exactly what it does ??

Unfortunately, the tomtom appears to be a consumer device which the average consumer (ie idiots like me) presume will just work; so when tomtom Home advised me (a newbie) to download the latest update I just did it. I then discovered that tomtom does not offer a link to any previous versions of the firmware. It was only following the unexpected catastrophic failure that I had to start trawling the forums for help. Obviously, once bitten....

The good news is that I got my 720 working again this morning. I used Home to delete recently added voices and all speed cameras as well as the NL postcode and the offending Application. I suspected that the problem was caused either by something I had loaded recently from the tomtom site or else my 720 was low on memory (I think it only had 183Mb out of 2Gb left).

After doing the deletions i re-installed the 7.02 Application again (about the 10th effort) and found that my device re-booted and seems to be working again. Hurrah! Very Happy

Now to try adding back in the other deleted files one by one, and see if there is an obvious culprit. If I do find one I will post it here, but it will probably be 'just one of those things'.

Having read this forum and also the one at yourNav ( [url]http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10683 [/url]) I am not very impressed by tomtom's attention to reliability. For a consumer device, used like a car radio or iPod etc, this is really not good enough.

I will be very reluctant to update again for fear of 'bricking' my tomtom 720.

Thanks to all contributors in the forum for general advice and info; it really helps to be able to research a problem and get advice. Thumbs Up
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinch wrote:
I really appreciate people putting the newest firmware on their TomTom's and posting results. But it does beg the question ... Why dont you wait until you know exactly what it does ??

From reading this, im not going to get anythign more from the new update so why update ??

I would only update if i was given a list of decent upgrades or fixes for the unit.

TomTom very rarely if at all announce what changes have been made in their updates.
If it doesn't work and you follow the advice regarding backups you can always revert back to the previous working version. I run an incremental backup every night to a 500GB external hot swappable drive using commercial backup/restore software. Genie Backup Manager Pro V8.0

It also helps to highlight problems for those that have updated without problems and those that are now having problems after updating.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to 7.020 without problem this afternoon. I see from your nav forum there is a suggestion that 7.030 will be released Friday.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MP3 via FM seems to be working alright now.

The volume seems louder than it was before the update.

Can't see anything else has changed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of back up cannot be stressed too highly, once you have your nav device running as you want following an update back it up to the PC using Windows Explorer (see FAQ #1 if you are un sure as to how this is done.

Keep each back up in a folder with the date as part of the folder name, it makes woking things out easier if / when you need the files within the folder.

If at some future point you update the device and find the new software simply isn't for you wipe the device and install the previous versions back up, at best this would be described as an inconvenience, not having a workable back up is an avoidable disaster - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: