Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ audio through car stereo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ audio through car stereo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A1Dox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: iPAQ audio through car stereo Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between an iPOD connected using aux-inputs to the car stereo or the iPAQ (with jacket and PCCard HD) connected the same way, to fill with tunes. Confused

As a test, I've run TTN and WMP together, and the navigation instructions are just about the right level over the music (albeit a bit tinny through the iPAQ's speaker. Rolling Eyes

Does anybody know if I can simply use an appropriate adapter lead between the headphone socket on the iPAQ and the RCA line inputs on the car stereo or would I need something active to convert between the headphone level and the required aux input level?

The iPOD is much bigger storage-wise, but obviously needs another cradle/charger/mount, whereas the iPAQ exists, already has a mount and power, but currently maxes out at one or two 5GB HD's or a PCCard IDE adapter and an external HD (which is as awkward as the external iPOD solution). Using the iPAQ seems neat, but as a colleague pointed out, feeding it through the car stereo may cause the navigation instructions to be muted if the phone rings in the car-kit... 8O

What does the panel think?

Regards
Dox
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhh, you seem to have a whole media center setup in your car....

I would guess the iPAQ headset output might be a wee bit too strong for your RCA line inputs. Maybe you can at least include an optical decoupler or an attenuator of sorts to make sure the input doesn't blow away.. (you never know what volume level you have the headset output set at...)

Other than that the iPAQ setup should work, and you can buy lots of Micro-Drive hard disks (instead of the PC-Card IDE) to make sure you have enough storage ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a simple cassette that is wired with a headphone socket for £10 from maplin.

just insert the tape into your radio (if you have tape etc) Smile

and plug the jack into the headphone socket on your pda.

now all instructions get played through your stereo speakers.

the only downside is, depending on what your stereo is, you will have to have the tape playing to be able to hear navigation through your radio etc, this means you wont be able to play music and hear instructions at the same time.

Its ok for short journeys, but im sure i would need some music on for longer trips Smile

or you could simply buy a powered integrated speaker mount.

Cheers
Nick
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you added mp3`s to your pda storage, and played whilst driving.?

i tend to do this, as i can play all my favs using my pda, and also hear navigation when required, as its all going through the same system etc.

Cheers & hope you come to a solution.

Nick
A1Dox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply... I've seen the cassette adapters and the (illegal to operate in the UK) FM modulators but wanted to try and use the line-in on the head unit to make the solution more 'fitted' and of reasonable audio quality.

I haven't heard particularly positive feedback about the cassette or FM routes, but for a tenner might give the cassette route a go. I pass Maplins off Regent St on my way into work, so might pop in 8) My HD jukebox choice was settling towards the iRiver iHP series as they have line-out, a remote that means I could hide the unit from sight, but possibly not as neat as just adding a CF/SD/PCCard (with Jacket) to my iPAQ.

I'll have a ponder and post the result of my shopping ;)

Regards
Dox
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dox, I used to use FM Modulators and have about half a dozen here of various sorts, since moving house and finding my old cassette adaptor, I've started using this and I must say the quality is better. The FM Modulator although I used to like you had to keep tweaking it a little to retune it all the time and you would get bleedover from other stations depending on time of day and atmospheric conditions, so I can say that a DECENT cassette adaptor (mine's Goodmans) works better, just make sure you don't have a cheap and cheefull one.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not fault mine, superb sound quality, and a cheap solution at only £9.99

I asked at maplin for the FM Modulators, and they advised they are now illegal to use in the uk, as people were using them as pirate radio stations Smile (or so they told me).

I think if tomtom ever produce a mount that has ps2 awell as RJ-11 connection hole etc with integrated speaker, these would sell like hot cakes.

Cheers
Nick
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maplin also create custom cables/leads, so you could also ask about the possibility of them making a headphone jack to audio line in cable ?

Not sure if its possible, but worth asking the question Smile

Cheers
Nick
A1Dox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Nick,

Thanks for the replies... I'll track down a cassette adapter to try. I've got an album in .WMA format on my Map SD card which means I can play for the cost of an adapter, which, I guess I could still use if I switched to the iRiver for music.

If it works ( I was listening to the Darkness through the iPAQ speaker on my way home last night ;) ) and the nav level is okay over the music, I'll look at a jacket to add some decent storage to the iPAQ.

Regards
Dox

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: