Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin Support and Feedback
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin Support and Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to treat any directions to POIs with a degree of caution whether they be car parks or something else.

Last year we visited West Wales for a few days, an area with which we were previously unfamiliar so we relied heavily both on the satnav (an X 970T) and also the included Michelin Guides, one of the reasons we went for a VM device.

Result:
Visiting St Davids Cathedral - the VM took us into the middle of a housing estate about 3/4 mile from the cathedral (and yes, there is a proper car park at the site)

A Bronze Age village near Cardigan - VM tried taking us past the front entrance (on a main A road) and up a very narrow lane from which there was apparently no entrance (we didn't go up the lane)

Devils' Bridge - we could see the main car park 200 yds ahead of us on a main road but the VM wanted to take us 1/2 mile up a lane AWAY from the bridge

Going by the age of these sites I don't think they had moved since the maps were last released Laughing so I guess you just have to accept that these will take you to the AREA where the POI is located.....
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that the cameras on VM website had been updated.

Connected unit, opened CM, updated and added all the way down the page only to find once I went back up the page all the adds had come back again. They must have refreshed on each update. Had to click all adds again but synchronised OK.

Was it only me?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Just noticed that the cameras on VM website had been updated.

Connected unit, opened CM, updated and added all the way down the page only to find once I went back up the page all the adds had come back again. They must have refreshed on each update. Had to click all adds again but synchronised OK.

Was it only me?

Saw your post about ten minutes ago. Immediately connected to CM and updated the Speed Cams...no problem as far as I could see. Disconnected unit then reconnected and re-opened CM and when I went back all the Cams were marked 'Add' ...did this all again and then checked again and all was OK. Interesting Rolling Eyes Thanks for the Info. It wasn't you Wink
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question.

Been using the X 980 for a week now. I boot into XP directly, on my Mac, to use the Content Manager. I connect the GPS and work away with it. How am I supposed to disconnect the device from XP/PC(Mac) after I close Content Manager. It seems to be connected to something called Active Sync but there seems to be no option to disconnect it from this.

The X 980T shows the do not remove SD Card screen. Turning on and off the GPS does not restart into the GPS as normal. I find that I have to do a reset and I am not entirely convinced that this is the right thing to do.

Help much appreciated.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts ...

On my PC, on connection ActiveSynch initiatialises and asks if you want to set up a partnership with the unit - the correct answer is 'no' - CM then fires up. On closing CM, ActiveSynch switches automatically to 'disconnected' and the 980 switches to normal satnav mode - there is no need to specifically disconnect from AS itself. The satnav can then be physically disconnected from the computer.

If yours is acting differently, then it may be some quirk of the Mac implementation (check for any other Mac users comments on the forum) - or did you select 'yes' to partnership option in AS on connection. And if you did any updating, did you press the 'Synchronise' button in CM before closing?

Oh, and have you downloaded the detailed User Guide from the VM website?
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded the user guide and I always say no to Active Sync partnership. On the Mac booting into PC is in effect a full blown PC. I think the problem lies with the Active Sync program not operating properly. I may have to reinstall and reconfigure it if that is possible.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this thread irishetcher, as a possible cause of the problem suggested by Darren?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=61965&highlight=mac+activesynch

I think it's what I had at the back of my mind - also maybe a search on 'mac' and/or 'activesynch' may throw up other possibilities (there seem to be plenty of references in Tomtom etc forums which MAY help you)
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that and I understand the problems that chap was having.

I have none of those problems. Everything works: registration, GPRS activation, syncing updates....etc.

The only issue I have is disconnecting the ViaMichelin correctly. I have to do a reset to take it out of the Don't remove SD card screen. Perhaps this is the way things are meant to be.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishetcher wrote:
Just read that and I understand the problems that chap was having.

I have none of those problems. Everything works: registration, GPRS activation, syncing updates....etc.

The only issue I have is disconnecting the ViaMichelin correctly. I have to do a reset to take it out of the Don't remove SD card screen. Perhaps this is the way things are meant to be.

I have a similar problem. I cannot 'Stop' the device before disconnecting and when I do disconnect (after switching it off first) then it acts as if I have done a reset. Things like the clock etc. have to be reset. Once re-started, however all the updates appear OK.
(that is apart from the option to have day/night mode change automitically - that disappeared some time ago and has not since re-appeared) :-(
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, that's not the way mine works. But if you are getting that problem does the device show up under 'Remove Hardware Safely' in the task bar?
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing. I looked for remove hardware safely and I could not find it?
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me the Remove Item Safely item should appear automatically in the right side of the task bar near the clock? or do I need to access it elsewhere?

I did a work around tonight. I just shut down Windows and the attached ViaMichelin returned to the normal status asking me to accept terms and conditions.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
As I said, that's not the way mine works. But if you are getting that problem does the device show up under 'Remove Hardware Safely' in the task bar?

No. it does not. That's where I would have expected to see it!

Graham
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishetcher wrote:
Remind me the Remove Item Safely item should appear automatically in the right side of the task bar near the clock? or do I need to access it elsewhere?

Yes, that's right. Bottom right near clock

I did a work around tonight. I just shut down Windows and the attached ViaMichelin returned to the normal status asking me to accept terms and conditions.

That's what you get after a soft reset....terms and conditions.
vizzair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say but I don't have these problems on my machine Smile :- XP pro SP1

When I connect the Sync activates and syncs to the device ( 750T NE )

After I close Content manager, I simply pull the USB lead and the unit goes into "term & conditions" and I "poke" the agree button and everything is ok. The sync app goes away ( actually goes into background mode and hides )

With XP, USB devices don't "cache" data but write through straight to the device, so anything writing to the device will only terminate when it has finished writing, so you (usually) can pull the device straight away without having to "safely remove" device ( unlike NT4, W2k or lower op systems )

If you are having problems with the time changing when you sync, there is a thread in the forum showing how to fix this
updateing PGPSW camera database
On the last page towards the end, it shows how the time by default is set to Pacific Standard time , so will be 8 hours out. There is also a fix for the brave to reset the time to GMT or any other timezone you want.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: