Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 2 maps of france
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 2 maps of france
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: TomTom 2 maps of france Reply with quote

hi folks,
has anyone had any good or bad experiences using ttnv2 with france maps installed whilst driving in france.?

Just wanted to ask how you found the maps in interms of use...

were they accurate.?

does anyone know whether they include small b roads for example roads leading to ski resorts etc in the french alps.

Cheers
Nick
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used TTNav2 in France last year visiting the Vendee and it was very good. Map detail can be poor in the smaller villages and towns with minor side streets missing and because France builds new A roads at a teriffic pace you will coccasionally find new stretches of road that are not on the map.

I have checked and the few ski resorts I looked up are there which is not surprising given the amount of visitors they attract.

As for using them, until then my wife thought GPS just another expensive toy, but having left all paper maps at home we were able to depart the ferry at Saint Malo and navigate to the door of our apartment without any arguments and knew how far we had to travel and estimated journey time throughout the trip.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
you read my mind.... Laughing

thats the exact reason i have bought the gps system Laughing Out Loud

dont suppose calais to lyon then lyon to les arcs will be much hassle, but hey, if it gives me 8 hours of argument free driving and results in the lack of "You just dont listen to me" phrase, then ill be a happy chappy.!

Cheers
Nick
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detail in some rural areas can be a bit thin, especially road names, but still far and away more detailed than any paper map I am likely to carry.

Following TomTom instructions rather than taking the obvious route from a paper map has taken me down some brilliant roads that I would not have otherwise seen and to places I would not have visited. Best of all is that I can travel without constantly stopping to look at a map.

I am a fan and do not carry paper maps in France anymore.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I noticed, exiting Saint Malo Ferry the signs point all vehicles onto the main bypass for all routes South. TomTom sent me in an alternative direction and being ever trusting I followed it.

We stopped 30mins or so later at a Rest Place and some 10mins after that a convoy of vehicles that had been ahead of us coming off the boat passed so whichever way we had come thanks to TomTom had been quicker then the signposted way Thumbs Up
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just ordered the Western Europe CDs for all of the reasons described in the above postings. Especially reducing arguments with the navigator sitting next to me.

I intend to travel from the UK through France and Spain. I hope to be able to set off on a route from ferry to border and during the journey at a whim, of the navigator, shoot off at a tangent "because it looks nice over there".

I wonder what the depth of the supplied POIs is like ? Is there a good spread of petrol stations, hotels etc. or are only the main brands covered ?
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lost one,

i have just loaded france (215mb) onto my pda, and from looking at the map view it looks as though there are quite a lot of useful POI`s included i.e petrol/hotel/parks/golf courses Laughing Out Loud

of course if you come across something you want included just add it as a poi Smile

Im travelling from calais to les arcs at the end of the week, so when i get back ill post my thoughts and how the software performed and include any spots it didnt see just for a reference.

also can i ask david or darren a quick question. Smile ...are the uk maps contained within western europe cd`s the same as the uk maps issued with ttnv2>? or is there a possibility that the uk set in w europe might be more updated.?

It would be good if tomtom included on the map loading screen when sending them to the storage card what date/year the maps have been taken from, this way users will know exactly how old/new the maps are.

i.e France (215mb) March 2002 etc

Cheers
Nick
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick.

Like you I feel that some sort of date info would be useful. Good luck for your journey. Hope you have nothing but praise for the TT2 when you return.

I would be interested to know if it gives you the option of routes avoiding Tolls, as you travel through France, in the same way as the GB routes can be set to avoid the London charge area?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick412 wrote:
also can i ask david or darren a quick question. Smile ...are the uk maps contained within western europe cd`s the same as the uk maps issued with ttnv2>? or is there a possibility that the uk set in w europe might be more updated.?

Yes they are identical, but you do need to purchase the single country set to give you the license and program files for TTN2.
lostnfound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for the widest coverage it would seem best to buy TT USA and the European maps. It would cost only slightly more.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, not too sure if you can do that as I haven't tried it. In theory you should be able to do it, but I'll leave it up to others on whether you still need to purchase a single European Country map.
tezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

On a related point, I've got tickets for Euro 2004 this summer and am going to drive down to Portugal via France and Spain.

One question I have - I have a 512mb CF card in my IPAQ, but I guess I'm going to need a second one to fit on France, Spain and Portugal.

How easy is it to "cross borders" with TT2 Europe? Do you have to point TT to the new country, or will it pick it up from the GPS?

Thanks
Terry
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tezzer,
currently ttnv2 doesnt support continuous cross border navigation, so you will have to pin point areas on each region to travel to, and then switch maps

i.e POI for beginning of france and exit point. (then switch maps)

then POI for beginning of spain and exit point (then switch maps)

then POI for beginning of portugal & destination

you will probably have to have a quick look on a paper map to see where the best exit points are for the trip.

hope above helps.

Cheers
Nick
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

###Question for Dave or Darren ###

This might sound a bit simple Smile

But is it posible to put more than one country into a folder.?

i.e a europe folder

or what would happen if i added another country to for example the france maps folder.?

wouldnt the software just think i was in the same country, but the gps would show the relevant co ordinated maps for the location i was at.?

so if spains maps were in the same folder as france, is there a software related reason why it wouldnt show the maps.? have each country got same file names etc, is this the reason.?

i can understand re current set up as each country has its own folder, and this is why we need to switch maps etc, but what if they were all in the same folder.? there shouldnt be any conflicts as it shows the maps relevant to the gps position info being received...

Cheers
Nick
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't work, the map data within the country folder uses a common name, i.e CNODE, CNAME, CLINE, you couldn't copy another countries data into the one folder as it would overwrite the existing map data Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: