Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another GO 720 fault.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another GO 720 fault.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Another GO 720 fault. Reply with quote

For the past week, in mid hands free phone call, my GO720 has every (working) day suddenly "broken" by beeping or barping. Frequency of about four a second and at the volume I set (maximum), pretty awful, quite apart from losing the phone call, of course. It won't switch off - when I press the power button, it closes down to the closing splash screen, but will go no further. And all the time, belting out the four a second loud barping. The only way to stop it is to poke the reset button. On a couple of days, it did it more than once.

As the phone is my only means of getting work and hands free is vital for driving, this is a disaster. I love the 720, but it looks like number three is going to have to go back to Halfords for exchange. What a pain, all the settings to clear, cameras to wipe and personalised splash screens to dump!! And all that hassle with B**** email addresses to register a new one. Groan!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not having a lot of luck Dennis, I too am having probs with the hands free, but as it's not so important, i will hang on for a bit TT may be able to fix it with a firm ware upgrade oneday. I see the problem with mapshare is still about, I noticed another post about it today.
Hope your next 720 is better than the one you have now
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikentl wrote:
Your not having a lot of luck Dennis

Yes Mike. And I have a dilemma, of course. This is my third 720, the first two were real duds, but this one is great except for this new problem. The dilemma is - will TT ever bring out a fix for MY problem (I have a suspicion it's hardware rather than firmware or software) and will the next one be problem free?
Damned if I do and damned if I don't!!

What I really need right now is for the present one to do the fault when I'm just arriving at Halfords one day, so that I can take it off the mount and walk in with it bringing down the rafters in order to demonstrate that it's faulty. Otherwise I can see myself struggling to persuade them.

steogede
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I really need right now is for the present one to do the fault when I'm just arriving at Halfords one day, so that I can take it off the mount and walk in with it bringing down the rafters in order to demonstrate that it's faulty. Otherwise I can see myself struggling to persuade them.

Do you have a video phone? It might help convince them.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steogede wrote:
Quote:

Do you have a video phone? It might help convince them.
Is that some sort of new technology? My (steam driven Nokia 6230i mobile) phone gets conked out when the GO does this to it. Mind you, you've given me an idea - I'll carry my video camera for a bit!

technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny noises are just the low battery warning, as I get the same.

Just never use it on battery and it's fine. Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use it on battery (wouldn't last me out driving all day) and "funny" isn't quite how I'd describe the four beats per second, hammering, remorselessly, nuclear attack warning, sub diving, racket.

And would it be useful to have a low battery warning that locks your device and won't let you use it or switch it off to conserve battery power?

Having this happen during a hands free call on the motorway makes using the reset button tool an invigorating experience!

shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive only had the problem you describe once on my 720 but I did notice during a hands free call it did bleep a lot but I just assumed this was giving me warning bleep to make a turn instead of a spoken instruction.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the bleep is sort of "Help, I can't talk to you and you're about to make a terrible mistake, so get off the phone and pay attention!" It's pretty weedy though, not at all Action Stations like I get. Took the video cam with me today, so naturally, it didn't do it!

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Having this happen during a hands free call on the motorway makes using the reset button tool an invigorating experience!

Seeing your camera installation, I'd have tought you would find it easy to rig up a small modification to one of your custom reset tools....Wink

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Seeing your camera installation, I'd have tought you would find it easy to rig up a small modification to one of your custom reset tools....Wink

Ah, you mean a sort of DennisN DIY extension to one of them? Come to think of it, I seem to recall joining a zillion of them together back in the days before they got to be custom reset tools.Cool

meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another GO 720 fault. Reply with quote

Is it a phone signal feedback type noise?

DennisN wrote:
For the past week, in mid hands free phone call, my GO720 has every (working) day suddenly "broken" by beeping or barping. Frequency of about four a second and at the volume I set (maximum), pretty awful, quite apart from losing the phone call, of course. It won't switch off - when I press the power button, it closes down to the closing splash screen, but will go no further. And all the time, belting out the four a second loud barping. The only way to stop it is to poke the reset button. On a couple of days, it did it more than once.

As the phone is my only means of getting work and hands free is vital for driving, this is a disaster. I love the 720, but it looks like number three is going to have to go back to Halfords for exchange. What a pain, all the settings to clear, cameras to wipe and personalised splash screens to dump!! And all that hassle with B**** email addresses to register a new one. Groan!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another GO 720 fault. Reply with quote

meestermartinho wrote:
Is it a phone signal feedback type noise?
I have no idea what a phone signal feedback noise is like. This is like a nuclear attack siren (I'm guessing - I've never actually been attacked by a nuclear), but medium pitched, very short and very loud and at intervals of (estimate) four per second AND never ending.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a reset to factory default, if that doesn't work send it back, if it does work take your customisation of the device one stage at a time to work out what is causing the noise issue during phone calls.

The device will beep during a call to let you know it would like to say some sort of instruction for navigation and you cannot turn this feature off, I am just wondering if the wrong sound file has become associated with the audio beep that should be played - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipping thing hasn't done it since I've started carrying the video camera! But neither have I been doing much hands free.
Unless there are different audio files associated with different (bleep attempts to issue) nav instructions during hands free, I can't see it being that - I still get the strangulated bleeps during hands free. On the other hand, perhaps you're right - there will be different audio files, for each different nav instruction, which become bleeps when the hands free throttles them and maybe one of them now won't bleep, instead it goes crazy? But would it also lock the device? And I'm pretty sure it has happened at times on clear straight motorway with no instructions or warnings.
I'm reluctant to go for factory reset - I bought it on 16th September which makes it 4 weeks this Sunday. I have a horrible feeling I might have difficulty if I go much longer before I take it back and factory reset then one change at a time looks a bit long term to me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: