Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mapshare problems friday
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mapshare problems friday
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, in a fit of madness, I thought I would telephone Tom Tom support and see they would be able to enlighten me on the 'xulrunner.exe' problem when trying to download the Map Share Updates.

I spoke to a chap whom, to be fair, seemed to be reeling from the umpteenth person giving his earhole GBH when he picked up my call.

I explained my problem, no less than 6 times, with no advance on his understanding each time, until I suggested we took it at one step at a time and so spoon fed him easy diigestable chunks, before the penny dropped, he was not that familiar with TOM TOM HOME 2.

Well to cut a very long and challenging conversation short, I confirmed I had already undertaken the steps suggested to gain a succesful download - disable bluetooth etc, but jumped through the hoops like a good obedient customer as he wanted to make sure I had tried everything, and as I pointed out- his options too all failed to establish a succesful mapshare download.

Finally the chap went off to speak with a colleague, and when he came back on the phone he was obviously confused, but sheepily asked if I could I provide him with screen prints proving it was only happening during Mapshare - map updates.

And so to end this part of the tale, I have e-mailed a sequentilal set of screenshots, and await the results of the Tom Tom jury.

I will keep you informed if I ever receive a reply.

You cannot help but wonder, what is the level of competance in Tom Tom support, and what training they receive!
GO 920 Dead
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a reply I got toda from support (North America) concerning the xulrunner crash for Operate my Go on the desktop (also get the error dl mapshares. Note the reference to that in his reply

-------------------------------------------

First completely exit out of HOME by closing the window then right-clicking the icon in the system tray and selecting Exit. Then go to C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul\plugins\emulator\navcore and delete all the files there. If you have Vista, also go to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\RANDOMSTRING\emulator and delete the navcore directory if there is any there. Then open HOME again and click Operate My GO. A emulator DLL will be downloaded that will prevent this feature from crashing.

This fix is for the crash when using the Operate My GO feature, and may not help for the crash when downloading Map Share. That should be fixed when HOME 2.1 is released October 25.

--------------------------------------------------
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Support kindly e-mailed me today their response to the 'xulrunner.exe' problem I raised with them.

Here is the answer received.

"Dear Mr nnnn,

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department.

Please be patient and thank you for your query.

With Best Regards

TomTom Customer Support Team"

I have the feeling I will be put in the dark room with all the other mushrooms, until they can come up with a solution.
GO 920 Dead
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was online Googling, when I did a search for 'xulrunner +TomTom' just to see if it was a minor problem, when I found the following posted by TomTom in a Google group:

Subject: TomTom HOME application with more than 1M users being built on xulrunner - Looking for developers

"We are urgently looking for experienced Mozilla developers who can jump in on our project here tomorrow (so to say).

The project is about the new TomTom HOME application, with an expected
number of users of more than a million. The application is completely built
up on xulrunner and uses a custom dll to talk to devices connected over USB.

Could you let me know if you are available to jump in on the very short
term?

Contact us at xul-jobs [at] tomtom.com "

link for this is: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.jobs/browse_thread/thread/538e5fa6d8bf4ceb

Although posted in April 2007, it makes interesting reading on Tom Tom recruitment of software developers in a hurry.
GO 920 Dead
empty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: A solution suggested by TomTom Support Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure if this helps but I only joined the forum as I was experiencing the same problem.

Specifically I have a TomTom 520, everything else worked, updated and downloaded bar the “MapShare” offering.

I disabled Bluetooth, un-paired the phones etc all to no avail.

This error only happened with the latest version of the TomTom core software and TomTom Home and started around a week ago.

This morning a new version of the TomTom core software was released, I duly downloaded it…….and the same error…….Home quit at around 80%.

I called the support desk and the fix took 15 seconds. I was told by a very helpful lady (after she spoke to Tech support) that a recent release of the MapShare updates was corrupt and thus was preventing further updates.

The remedy (with the TomTom unit in the cradle and powered on) was to go to TomTom Home/Preferences/TomTom MapShare/Remove Corrections.

From there, select both boxes (to remove the previous corrections), apply, restart the unit.

For me the updates have now worked 5 times without fail throughout the day.

Hope this helps (and sorry if I’m teaching any of you to suck eggs).

Cheers,

Neil

Last edited by empty on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Neil

Welcome, I am still a new boy too, but I tried the fix you mentioned.

I followed your instructions and yes, it works, it downloaded the updates without a problem.

Many thanks for your input no doubt many more will be thanking you

Not Worthy
GO 920 Dead
THXTEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius!

Thanks for posting this fix!

THXTEX
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something. I have Home 2.0 installed. When I go to Change Preferences, there is **no** option for TomTom Mapshare, either on my desktop software or on the TomTom itself (software version 7.020).

I do have successful mapshare downloads as well as suffering the crash of the desktop software with the xulrunner.exe error.

Can someone advise where (or how) I might find the TomTom Mapshare option or, perhaps, if I can perform the task directly on the TomTom unit.

(maybe the problem is that in North America we get 1 year free for mapshare downloads without subscribing to TomTom plus service. Is that it?)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under my user name is the label 'Beginner'. Maybe it should say 'Idiot' :-)
Was looking in the wrong place for Preferences/TomTom Mapshare. Found it and checked both boxes.

Solution worked for me, too!

Thanks to the poster(s) providing the solution. Too bad TomTom support in North America -- at least those I've spoken to -- don't know about it.
bcme136
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: TomTom Home Reply with quote

There is an update for Home. MapShare is back with a few other additions. Check out all the tabs.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Home Reply with quote

bcme136 wrote:
There is an update for Home. MapShare is back with a few other additions. Check out all the tabs.

Can you elucidate??

Is this today or just since october?
What additions to MapShare?
What tabs?
So many questions! Laughing
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just updated to 2.2.0.33 so I guess it's today (this afternoon, even). Will report more when I know more.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw this post just after I asked:
Quote:
ust opened up Home 2.1 and have got the latest version 2.2.0.33 download offered and installed.. Its got some new items but haven't checked them yet.

I did look at Home but I'd forgotten how it downloads the new version quietly FIRST, and only when it's finished does it ask you if you want it! Smile
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we now keep 2.2.0.33 discussions here please?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: