Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCorry wrote:

Quote:
no diversions were offered in this traffic.

Sorry to be a numpty but could you clarify:

a) Are you saying you were already stuck in it and no way out was given?

OR

b) Did it calculate the original journey including the holdup, and still thought the route given was the fastest, therefore your ETA wouldn't have changed?

OR

c) Have I totally misunderstood Embarassed
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Arrival Time Reply with quote

RCorry wrote:
Just to change the subject a little!

Now that half term is over and traffic is heavier I am seeing the benefits of the TMC on my new X-980T. I am quite pleased with the accuracy of the data, however, I have noticed a shortcoming. This morning I had a Congestion warning of traffic at 25 mph over an 8 mile stretch of the M27. But the Arrival Time was not changed to allow for the slower traffic, it still assumed normal Motorway speeds. Thus, I'm not convinced that the system is really capable of offering me the best alternative route - no diversions were offered in this traffic.

Will V7 have improvements in this area?

The arrival time updates based on your speed so if you suddenly slow down the arrival time will alter , it wont update based on a trafic message as that may clear before you arrive. If it sees that the traffic is below 10mph on the TMC message it will re-route based on your preferences in the TMC messaging ( Automaitic, manual or off). You can of course choose to re-route at anytime using the options when travelling and ask to avoid anything from 1 -10 miles ahead.

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thehorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I received my X970T V7 today , but I can't register it on the VM site.

It is asking me for the product identification on the VM website, which is supposed to be displayed when I connect to active sync, but nothing is shown?

Cheers
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikey Mikey,

Traffic Message was before joining the Motorway but the reported average speed was 25 mph.

Deepfour (Stu) said in his message that the TMC message must have the speed below 10 mph before it will re-route. This explains why I wasn't offered a diversion. Next time I will try the Manual method.

Also, since I hadn't joined the Motorway yet it must have assumed that I would be able to travel at normal Motorway speed. Thus, it calculated the route at normal Motorway speeds rather than the actual speed the traffic was travelling at. Once I was on the Motorway and going at slower speeds it kept increasing the estimated arrival time based on my actual speed. It's possible that this was still the quickest route but there is at least one alternative on an 'A' road that may have been quicker.
Cartography Edition 2007
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehorse wrote:
Hi,

I received my X970T V7 today , but I can't register it on the VM site.

It is asking me for the product identification on the VM website, which is supposed to be displayed when I connect to active sync, but nothing is shown?

Cheers

So unfair Crying or Very sad I want my upgrade DVD. I know I have to pay for it but surprised we are still waiting Crying or Very sad
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCorry

I was just trying to understand the circumstances better so that I would get the best from my X980T.

I knew Stu would come up with the answer Wink
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Arrival Time Reply with quote

Will this mean that it'll only recalculates the route when you're actually in the traffic jam, etc?
Or does it calculates the route at the beginning of the route keeping TMC msgs in mind when they happen on the normal route and also whilst driving?

Deepfour wrote:
it wont update based on a trafic message as that may clear before you arrive. If it sees that the traffic is below 10mph on the TMC message it will re-route based on your preferences in the TMC messaging ( Automaitic, manual or off). .
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddy...If a traffic mesage is on the route it will take that into account at the start of the route and route around it or take it into account for time calculations.
If the message appears during the driving of the route, it will obviously re-route if the speed is too low or if you are stuck in the jam update the time.

Hope this answers it

Cheers, at your service and always alert...

Stu

www.leyio.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit strange. It comes to he fact that the TMC becomes useless whilst driving since you end up in the traffic jam anyway, I always thought that the purpose of TMC enabled devices would be to prevent this (whilst driving).

Deepfour wrote:

If the message appears during the driving of the route, it will obviously re-route if the speed is too low or if you are stuck in the jam update the time.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddy

I think you are getting confused.

If you are on a motorway and there is an accident ahead of you with no junction to get off, yes you are going to be stuck- No exits.
If the accident happens and a road is blocked before you leave it will formulate a route which avoids the blocked road
If the traffice message comes in while you are driving and the traffic is moving but slow it will warn you and you can choose what to do - Re-route around or not
If the traffic is stopped dead or below 10MPH it will re-route based on the settings you have put into the TMC options, if you set to automatically re-route it will!!

cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I understood wrongly that it would only reroute at the start of your route and not whilst driving. Maybe because I'm not a native speaker.
Thanks for the clarification.

Deepfour wrote:
Eddy

I think you are getting confused.

If you are on a motorway and there is an accident ahead of you with no junction to get off, yes you are going to be stuck- No exits.
If the accident happens and a road is blocked before you leave it will formulate a route which avoids the blocked road
If the traffice message comes in while you are driving and the traffic is moving but slow it will warn you and you can choose what to do - Re-route around or not
If the traffic is stopped dead or below 10MPH it will re-route based on the settings you have put into the TMC options, if you set to automatically re-route it will!!

cheers

Stu
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting more interested now, having taken the plunge and bought an X980. So...

I guess it's asking a lot(!) but if does it remember the blockage once it's rereouted - and revert to the default (quickest, whatever) if it detects the blockage has cleared?

I'd really be impressed then!!!
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:

Stu, I'm sorry, I have to disagree with this statement. I'll give you an example that I had this morning.

Just before I joined the M27 at 08:00 I had a TMC message, congestion for 8 miles at 25mph (which is per your earlier statement, traffic was above 10mph) - no diversion offered and no re-calculation of the estimated arrival time of 08:10 - my destination was just off the motorway. By my calculation - 8 miles at 25 mph is 19 minutes.

I went ahead and joined the Motorway anyway, even though the traffic was practically stationary the estimated arrival time was not updated correctly either before or after joining the Motorway. All it did was continue to increase by the amount of time I was stuck in traffic, so after 5 minutes stuck in traffic the arrival time was 08:15 and so on. It always assumed that I was able to drive at normal Motorway speeds form my current position.

I think this is a serious shortfall in how TMC is managed and agree with Eddy that it's almost useless if this is how it works. Why should the user have to play around to find better alternatives with the Manual Bypass option when they are supposed to be paying attention to the road?

As I said before, I hope it will be better on Version 7.
Cartography Edition 2007
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCorry wrote
Quote:
I went ahead and joined the Motorway anyway, even though the traffic was practically stationary

You don't say if the TMC speed updated from the 25mph you quoted - if it didn't, I guess the sat nav wouldn't be any the wiser as to why you were going so slowly.
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
You don't say if the TMC speed updated from the 25mph you quoted - if it didn't, I guess the sat nav wouldn't be any the wiser as to why you were going so slowly.

During the whole journey my average speed was actually about 15 mph. after about 3 miles on the Motorway (out ot 8 total) the TMC did update, it reduced the average speed to 20 mph! This had no effect on the Estimated arrival time.
Cartography Edition 2007

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20

Jump to: