Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"EddyDC"Since viaMichelin uses Tele Atlas as mapping source, I would suggest that you report this on their site: http://www.teleatlas.com/ForConsumers/MapFeedback/index.htm
There you can see the current state of their maps too.

I reported the problems some years ago - that is why I am interested to know if V7 updates the mapping data.
As far as I can see the site only refers to version V6.5
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Since viaMichelin uses Tele Atlas as mapping source, I would suggest that you report this on their site: http://www.teleatlas.com/ForConsumers/MapFeedback/index.htm
There you can see the current state of their maps too.

Well the maps on that link are at least 2 years out of date!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that counts also for online maps like mappy.com?
I found there info that isn't even on Navteq.

trevor.dowle wrote:

trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
And that counts also for online maps like mappy.com?
I found there info that isn't even on Navteq.

trevor.dowle wrote:

Mappy.com is at least 18 months out of date in the particular area that I searched. Thats one area, so don't know about the rest of the country.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Comments on my new X-980T Reply with quote

Based on the very informative information I found on this discussion I went out and bought (online) a X-980T - my first Sat-Nav! Good feedback from Stu at Michelin was a key decider in my purchase.

Experience to date is mixed, hope you can help with the following:

When I bought the unit and upgraded to V6.5.4 online the device couldn't find a GPS signal or TMC information. I tried your Call Centre but am still waiting a reply since last Thursday. I tried re-installing the software and fixed it myself! The download site doesn't mention that the unit needs to be switched off/on after loading the software to initialise correctly. The first time around, I had immediately updated the speed camera database after loading the software but not having switched on/off. Once I had the problem, even a hard reset wouldn't correct it.

The V6.5.4 menu system is cumbersome and I'm looking forward to V7, the advance information on the forum looks exciting. Most of the functionality is good on V6.5.4, however, I noticed that there is no option to input a diversion (e.g. - a situation where I know there is congestion that hasn't been notified by TMC). The current system only seems to allow a diversion if TMC makes the notification.

Both TMC and GPS signals are good here in the Southampton area, though I must admit that having to hide a stringy TMC antenna (for security) when not in the car is a tad tedious.

V6.5.4 map coverage is not great in Ireland (where I come from). I'm hoping that V7 will be better. The ViaMichelin website map shows a village I come form in Ireland but there is just open space on my V6.5.4 map.

Final question, will the free V7 update on DVD include the latest maps? It seems silly to have to apply for the version update and make a separate application for the map update.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Version 7 disks have the latest 2007.3 maps from tele-atlas. This is their third relase from this year (one per quarter).......

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ChopperHarris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have to say that I've found this forum and the direct involvement of Stu from Viamichelin incredibly useful. The viamichelin devices have gone from being rank outsiders in my quest to replace my ageing (and now unsupported) AA Navigator to being one of the two leading candidates.

One of the best things about the AA Navigator is that when I'm driving and encounter traffic, I can elect to detour from the current route for 2, 5 or 10 miles and will be (for example) taken off the motorway for a few junctions and then brought back on, hopefully after the congestion has subsided. Alternatively, I could elect to avoid named roads along the route, so if I knew that the M1 was full of delays (as it always is), I can select it from the list of roads to be used and the journey would be recalculated to avoid it.

Could you confirm if this type of functionality is possible in the software on the X-970T?

Also, I have been looking at the TomTom devices and see that they give you the option to review your journey before departure and make changes to it if you aren't happy. Is this possible in ViaMichelin?

Thanks in advance.
A different Stu
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in the topics here, and as a frequent traveller to France am finding it difficult to keep my credit card in my pocket!

My question has been asked, with a reply by Deepfour that he would enquire, but I can't find the reference to it now. On my Garmin, the Text-To-Speech voice I have, giving road names etc., is very good and clear. Comments have been made here about the quality of the VM version (one questionner used the word 'garbled') - has any info come up on this yet, please?
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to some questions from ChopperHarris:

The X-980T (I believe the software is almost identical to the X-970T) can do diversions (called Bypass route by ViaMichelin) - I just worked out how to do it. It takes 4 menu selections plus an entry for the length of the traffic jam - quite alot if you're trying to do it while paying attention to the road - hopefully it will ber better on Version 7.

You can't specify a road to avoid, as far as I can see, though there are options to plan a route for a bike or walking (which would avoid motorways). Also, intermediate stages can be added wich could be used to force the route off the motorway.

Trips can be planned and reviewed before setting off.

BigPerk asked about the Text to Speech. I find it works very well on the X-980T and it's clear.
Cartography Edition 2007
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I'm very interested in the topics here, and as a frequent traveller to France am finding it difficult to keep my credit card in my pocket!

My question has been asked, with a reply by Deepfour that he would enquire, but I can't find the reference to it now. On my Garmin, the Text-To-Speech voice I have, giving road names etc., is very good and clear. Comments have been made here about the quality of the VM version (one questionner used the word 'garbled') - has any info come up on this yet, please?

I only noticed issues with the TTS when I first brought the x980t and believe it was down to either a software bug which has since been fixed or the fact the street names were missing as it only had problems with reading some street names. However as I say with 6.5.4 I haven't noticed an issue and the TTS is really clear In fact it's surprising when it's able to pronounce even odd street names
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that information on the GPRS compatible phones is now on the website but I noticed that my Motorola SLVR L7 isn't on the list even though it works fine and is listed as Bluetooth compatible.

Is this just an oversight or is the SLVR not compatible with the new services, also can you clarify what is meant by GPRS subscription?
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopperHarris wrote:
Hi, I have to say that I've found this forum and the direct involvement of Stu from Viamichelin incredibly useful. The viamichelin devices have gone from being rank outsiders in my quest to replace my ageing (and now unsupported) AA Navigator to being one of the two leading candidates.
Hear hear! This is the best thing to happen to ViaMichelin. Lets hope tha Stu's directors are taking note and will give him a big bonus for this great intiative. However, I think I mentioned a VM user forum to him a while back - hm.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu did set up a thread on Oct 12:

"ViaMichelin Support and Feedback"

on which there have been some posts. As they are mainly about the new series which has been covered much more here, I have suggested the two be merged.
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu seems to have gone walkabout!
Perhaps in Spain?
Lots of questions to catch-up on!
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening All....Not on Walkabout just on Half Term break with the Rug Rats....wife said something about giving the family my full attention for a week....Not sure what thats all about.... Wink

I will be on the case on Monday and check throught the questions.

One bit of bad news was that my X-970T was stolen from my car, on my drive...at 4 in the Afternoon while I unloaded kids/ Shopping!!

So I had to resort to using the X-980T and yes with V7....The good news is that the TTS is much much better in V7.
For example - Where it used to tell you to get off the M4 at Jct 11 heading for Reading (as in Reading a book)....it now says it as Reading (as in the town!!)

OH heck the Mrs is coming.......catch you all on Monday!!

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20

Jump to: