Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One slow to locate signal after software upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One slow to locate signal after software upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: TT One slow to locate signal after software upgrade Reply with quote

Maybe it's me, but my One New Edition seems to take much longer to find the satellites after upgrading to v7.120 than it did before.

Usually, I switch it on when I'm in the car, and by the time I've started the car, got seat belt on etc, its located my position. Now, after upgrading, I've done all that, reversed off the drive, driven off and am half way down the road before it gets a location. Last time, it took nearly a minute to get a fix.

Could there be any reason? Is it the season - are satellites in a different position now and the signal is weaker?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My One New Edition seems to take about the same time as it did before I installed 7.120
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's available for you TT1NE, but last time I connected my system to Home it also downloaded & installed a thing called "QuickGPSFix", my 720 seems to pick things up more quickly even indoors. Shocked

See if it downloads & offers to install it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilrhode - the unit stores the likely positions for the satellites for the next few days. If the software has been updated, it's likely it will lose that.
You will get a much quicker fix if you are stationary, rather than driving along.
"QPSQuickfix" is, as Wazza says, a downloadable set od "ephemera" data that gives the unit a head start by telling it where to look for the next 7 days or so.
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys

i know about quickfix, and up dated it just the other day. Its faster than it was, but still takes what seems longer than before the upgrade
rbecking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same, have a One XL Europe and have noticed it takes longer to pickup a signal after the update even with gpsquickfix. But does seem quicker to calculate a route.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be down to the amount of free memory that your devices have available, that's slowing them down.

If you're device is low on free memory it can cause a problem as it does with your home PC, you may need to clear some stuff out or install a bigger memory card to improve your devices performance.

Try clearing stuff out first, before buying a new card and see if you get an improvement.
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a memory card, its all in the built in memory.

There's about 5M of memory free and apart from adding POI of heritage sites and one extra voice it's all standard.

I haven't noticed it being quicker to calculate routes, but glad someone agrees with me.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an experiment, can either of you go back to the original software (by re-loading a backup), and see if it all speeds up again?

Would be useful to let TT know...
H2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any issues with your TT One rebooting whilst in use?

If so, did the upgrade fix it at all?
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of reloading the back up just to check - you never know it might be my memory, or something other than the TT, its just a bother as it takes about 20 minutes to copy the backup.

H2007. never had any rebooting issues so can't comment.
Windy_clc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: TomTom One Slow to pick up signal Reply with quote

Hi
Since updating my software, my TomTom One is the same and takes about a minute to pick up a signal.
I do download and install the gps quick fix every week and this has made no difference.

Cheers Windy
Windy_clc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Slow signal pick up Reply with quote

Hi
I forgot to add that I have a 2Gb card with plenty of free about 1.5Gb of free space on it and it is 150x speed.

Cheers Windy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this might be down to your TT settings and your driving practices.

First, my startup preferences on both GO 710 and 720 are for the GO to start up where it left off - in other words, when switched on, they remember that they are still where they were when I switched them off, e.g. in my driveway, facing west.

Second, I always use them both, no matter how short the journey, or how familiar I am with the route.

If I ever forget to re-mount and switch them on, when I subsequently remember, at some point not where they think they are, they take much longer to acquire a satellite fix. And if I don't stop to let them find themselves, it can take ages whilst I'm moving.

Bit like my head really. If I went to bed one night in Keynsham and woke up next morning in Glasgow, I'd be pretty confused too. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with cecilrhode on this one .I have a One XL and after upgrading to V7 it takes anything up to 3 minutes to get a signal,even with the latest GPSquickfix.Restoring V6 software it only takes about 15 seconds.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: