Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 map problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 map problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puremale2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 map problem Reply with quote

I have recently brought from ebay a garmin i3 with no memory card or maps and to top it off it appears the usb port is broken !!!

I want to put maps on by transferring them from my pc to micr SD and then being able to use them on my i3 but cannot work it out ?

Please can somebody help with this ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Where did you get the maps from and do you have the unlock code for them? You can use a map disk from Garmin to load maps to a new card in a card reader on your PC but you must have the right maps, the unlock codes for those maps for that unit.

Personally i'd get your money back.
puremale2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing i do not have any maps at the moment and was wondering where i can get them from ?

The unit was not supplied with an unlock code or software disc and so from what i have been reading this means it is useless am i right ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps were pre-installed either internally on later units or on a transflash card on earlier units.

If you have no maps you need to get a disk from Garmin. Although the disk is free the unlock code itself isn't. The latest maps are v9 and cost ~£45 for the unlock, however v10 are out in the next month or two (or three)

It is possible to add maps using a card in a PC Card Reader and also to add any POIs (inc Safety Camera Alerts) you wish, however to upgrade the Firmware or backup your favourites without a working USB ports i can't see how you'll do it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the USB connector damaged? - if so a read of This might give you a few ideas, but you will need a very fine tipped soldering iron and steady hand.
If the Connector on the device looks OK but the PC isn't seeing the device make sure its plugged into a USB port on the PC and not a hub derived port as they often give problems. You will also need software on the PC to communicate with the unit, see This Page for some options - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: