Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 168 UNIQUE Charging Problem help requested.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 168 UNIQUE Charging Problem help requested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Mio 168 UNIQUE Charging Problem help requested. Reply with quote

First off GREAT forum you people have!
I've spent several weeks now trying to diagnose a problem with my MIO 168 and need help.

- Everything was working fine.
- Battery went completely dead for a couple weeks as I wasn't using it.
- Went to charge but it would take. Plug it in, orange light comes on then turns green soon after but not enough juice to complete boot.
- Everything works fine until I unplug the juice via AC adapter or Car charger.
- So I may have fried the battery by leaving it deal too long, fair enough.
- However I needed the GPS as I was traveling to foreign lands.
- Worked great with the car charger, but seemed a little warm. Having to re-configure the MIO every time the car was turned off was a bit of a pain
- Ordered two new hi-capacity batteries while away.
- Two new batteries and neither would hold a charge. The new batteries each worked for a short period before dying. When being charged the battery would sometimes show charged (green light) after only a few minutes of charing. Yet it wasn't enough to boot the MIO 168.

For the life of me I can't figure this out definitively. OK so maybe I burned up the original battery from leaving it dead too long? But to have two new batteries not charge is hard to believe, but plausible!
What I need to know and can't find out is what the five leads on the battery represent?
I've found pin information for the cable, but I want to charge the battery directly from the wall charger to see if the battery can take a charge.

If anyone can help in this Quest I'd be grateful.

John
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still strongly suspect the charger connection - a well documented problem after a time with the 168. Are you in the UK??
johnmark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Canada.
If it where the connection then would the unit still function properly when plugged into the USB connector or Car charger? ie the unit functions perfectly but won't charge? The connector is tight on the MB, not loose at all.

If I could only find out with two leads on the battery to apply power too I could verify it is not the battery, by applying an external charge directly to the battery.

Thanks

John
arf501
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long you had the mio?
theres a 2 year warranty on it, but expect youve had it longer
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would doubt that it would be the charging socket, this would probably cause charge or no charge and not show the green charged light, some chargers use a irect sensing lead to the battery to give a true direct voltage at the battery, I personally would suspect a malfunction with the internal battery sensing circuit, unfortunately not having had a problem with mine since having it 2 and 1/2 yrs ago cannot help much but photos I have seen of the mio battery have only shown two leads from the battery or so i thought, maybe wrong
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be a faulty charging circuit on in sde the mio i dont think its a battery problem as you have had 2 replacement batteries. 2 choices here

1 get it repaired though this may cost more thanthe mio is worth

2 get new pda Wink Laughing

sorry if it looks a bit blunt Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help but agree with Alix, but have you tried doing a hard reset because if you have let the mio go dead it removes all the imstalled software and their is an autocontrol on the battery, it may be possible that this may need to be reinstalled by a hard reset, may work may not.
digi98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: High capacity batteries in MIO 168 Reply with quote

I have the same problem as johnmark I bought two same batteries from different internet sites these with higher capacity-1800 mA -HK made .Both of them I tested them in 3(three) different Mio 168`s .Same problem the lost of their capacity with a hard reset, instantly.After that I CAN`T charge them at all.Now the sellers are asking to replace them but I think I will loose my time and my posting money.The old 1300 LiOn batteries are still working as usual.I think that the problem is IN the battery`s new electronic charging controls
Digi98
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a similair vein, I bought two li-ion camera batteries a few weeks ago and i can take about 5 photos then battery shows flat on camera, if i switch off then on again i can take another 5 photos, this keeps repeating itself, the camera always shows full when reswitched on i am currently discharging them and recharge 2-3 times to see if it resolves anything, although li-ion are not supposed to have a memory effect.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say that I bought my batteries off Fleabay which automatically makes them suspect notwithstanding some internet suppliers may be be suspect aswell, anyway after first full discharge I find now that power is holding considerably longer and hopefully a few more discharge/Charge cycles may improve further, must stress that li-ion battery voltages are very critical and any deep discharge should not go below 3volts or slightly under, otherwise you may have a job picking up a recharge or take a long time to charge.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: