Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - rider vs zumo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

rider vs zumo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polkay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have been using the Zumo 550 for a month now and find just as good as the original Sat Nav I had StreetPilot III... I find the daylight setting is the best to use day or night.With regards to map updating I found it was out when using 3 d...but change to 2 d and its virtually spot on...plus you see more of the map detail. I was going to wire bike mount to the bike...but changed my mind, I have wired to a ciggy plug and use the socket which I already had fitted to bike...I have used with ordinary ear plug from mp3 with now problems with voice at 70mph...I have now got a Autocom system and have no problem with hearing instructions even though I have mp3 playing as well.

Danny
PanFlyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Zumo 550 before going on the Pan Austria tour this summer - overall it's a great bit of kit BUT could be better.
The main problem it suffers from is a failure to start up on occasions - usually you remove & reseat the battery and all is well. But my first unit just died completely and got replaced (thank you Blokestuff). New one has been working fine with just the occasional lock up requireing the battery trick.
If you look on http://www.zumoforums.com you'll find an entire site just dedicated to the Zumo so you can get the whole story warts & all.
Is it good? Yes
Is it reliable? not 100%
Is it expensive? Yes (but the kit does come with the mount and all necessary wiring)
Would I buy another? Probably
I use it with the Scala Rider unit & that is fine.
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......and please remember, Garmin customer service is second to none!
Oscar_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Bought a Tomtom rider about 18 months ago from Halfords. I had various problems from the outset the first being the bluetooth adaptor not working, Sad the mount didn't fit my bike so I had to buy a Ram mount. Rolling Eyes After a while the cradle stopped charging the unit, which was a pain as there is only 1 charger for both the Rider and the bluetooth adaptor. Mad (The new rider comes with a Ram mount and I believe the cradle is designed better but I haven't seen them yet.)

This happend 4 times over a period of about 6 months, each time the cradle was replaced by Halfords who I must say were fantastic, Smile they were very appologetic and replaced it immidiatly every time without question. Once when I was on a trip directed me to the nearest shop to exchange the cradle with one off the shelf. Eventualy I was given the option of a free upgrade to a Zumo 500 Very Happy (I paid the extra and got a 550). I think this was because they had stopped selling the rider and were running out of cradles.

I've been using the Zumo for the last year and have found that it is much more solid than the Rider especially the mount, I have'nt seen any signs of wear at the contacts I got with the rider. I can listen to MP3's on the move. Speaking of on the move you can make calls while travelling with the Zumo, you have to pull over with the Rider. The dashboard is a nice touch with the tank range it tells you when you should be looking for a petrol station, it will even direct you to the nearest one. other nice touches are things like hotels in the area with phone numbers and being able to phone them directly.

However there are some downsides, If you want traffic updates you have to buy a traffic antenna, £80 on ebay Shocked (with the Rider they are free through your mobile if you have a data package with your supplier) you will have to buy a bluetooth adaptor or earphones. If you want to connect to an Autcom you'll need a lead from autocom. If you want to listen to music in stereo and have telephone connected (due to the constraints of the Autocom) you'll need a bluetooth adaptor and a lead from Autocom.

My personal opinion is that the Tomtom's software is much easier to use I liked the direction Giff and the ETA in + or - minutes but on the whole the Zumo is a much better machine and this is reflected in the price.

Hope this helps anyone

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: