Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some help please on Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx (EU basemap)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some help please on Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx (EU basemap)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Some help please on Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx (EU basemap) Reply with quote

Hi my dad does a lot of walking in the wild, you know these walkers you see in the field well thats him. I thought for Christmas the

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx (EU basemap)

would be a great present for him. I'm not sure if I need to purchase any maps with if for walking in the UK. Does anyone know if I need to get more maps with it, is is the one that comes with it ok.

Thanks
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following info assumes your father walks in UK!

The basemap is very basic ( Laughing ) and not a lot of use if you want maps displayed for walking.

Conventionally; he would need something like GARMIN TOPO Uk - which gives details of contours etc for display on the GPS.

BUT....

Have a look at the GARMIN website for screen display of this product. Whilst it is accurate in what it displays it is nowhere near as complete as OSGB mapping (even at 1:50k) as tracks etc are often missing / incomplete.

If he is a keen walker he will be used to 1:50k or (more likely) 1:25K OSGB mapping.

You may want to look at buying him a simple (non-mapping) GPS and something like ANQUET or MEMORY-MAP with full UK at 1:50k - or selected regions at 1:25K and are the same as the OSGB maps.

The first option (1:50k) with a 'basic' GPS would come in about the same sort of price as the top-of-range mapping GPS. The 1:25K are more expensive - but are much more detailed.

With either product he can plan his walking route and waypoints, download to GPS, print of colour OSGB map of the walk with route and waypoins overlayed. After the walk he could upload his actual track(s) from the GPS and overlay on the map and investigate his walk.

Personally I find the 1:50k more than adequate for planning route and i only possess a few areas at 1:25k - buying more as I need them/can afford them.

With either product you can save walks, tracks, routes etc on the PC for use klater on.

Finally both apps have a component that runs on certain PDAs - allowing OSGB maps to be displaed together with GPS position (requires PDA with GPS or PDA and GPS - usually bluetooth).

I have reservations about using such a device in the 'wild' - they aren't really designed for that environment and the battery lfe is usually too little for 'real walks'. However there are solutions to both these drawbacks.

Just a thought.

Wish my kids were as considerate! (They are pretty good actually - but my daughter is after a sat-nav for her car this year!)
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Very Happy My Dad is a very keen walker but has never owned any type of GPS they cost money he does not have what with bills and everythink. So I though it would be great to get him one for christmas. I'm 100% lost now whith what I should get. I don't want to waste my money on somthink thats not going to fit the bill. I don't really understand all this OSBG mapping, sorry I'm a little thick Embarassed Could you point me to a GPS I should get and mapping source for it. Thanks so much. it doesn't matter how much it cost because I want the best for him Very Happy I don't want to be saying down the road, I wish i got that one instead you know how it is.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: