Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM 10 subscription problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM 10 subscription problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: GTM 10 subscription problem Reply with quote

I purchased a GTM10 from an Amazon seller about 6 months ago. When it arrived it was in Kenwood packaging. It worked very well for the first 3 months (within the limitations of the traffic data) but then announced that the traffic subscription had expired. I then realised that the Kenwood badged units only came with a 3 month trial subscription. I went to the Garmin web site and purchased a life time subscription and the code was accepted by the unit but traffic still does not work. If I go to the subscription page I can see the expired original subscription and the new subscription. Checking the status I get a message saying that the new subscription will be activated when the unit receives both a GPS lock and traffic data. However I have driven several thousand miles in areas where I previously got traffic data and still the new subscription has not activated. I contacted Garmin who suggested updating the GTM firmware which I have done (twice to 4.1 and then 4.5). I would prefer not to have to return the unit to Garmin because there is a significant amount of work involved in taking the dash assembly apart. Any suggestions?
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email Address Removed at Garmin's Request

Sorry but you will almost certainly have to send it back to get the licence sorted. Been there done that!!!!!!!!

See here
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Email Address Removed at Garmin's Request

Sorry but you will almost certainly have to send it back to get the licence sorted. Been there done that!!!!!!!!

Thanks but it may be a different problem as it was present before I installed 4.1. But if no one has a better idea I will contact him.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly sounds like the subscription problem, and the Garmin support expert on the subject of GTMs is the best person to deal with it. Whether or not the Kenwood unit should or should not have shipped with 3 months / a lifetime sub, the lack of accepting the lifetime subscription code can only be fixed by Garmin, and involves the unit going back to Garmin.

Last edited by swing on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
StuBFrost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name and email address of the Garmin contact has been removed in the posted link.

Anybody know who I need to contact instead about the subscription problem ?

Stu
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin Support. Garmin have requested that individual contacts and email addresses be removed so please don't post them here, PM if you must but any posted publicly will be removed.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I did contact the previously named indidual but didn't receive any reply. Will chase it up over the phone when I get a chance.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ressurect this thread from the dead. I have been chasing Garmin about this for the last 3 months. They have had the unit back and returned it suggesting that the subscription would activate in due course. Today I pushed them much harder and got to speak to a supervisor. They finally agreed that much of what I had been told was nonsense and that their service department hadn't the correct knowledge to understand the problem. Sigh. Anyway they have given me a new subscription code and agreed to refund the original subscription charge to compensate for the inconvenience they have caused me. Time will tell if the new subscription code works.

Moral of the story; you have to push hard for them to listen rather than fob you off with duff advice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: