Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - request for help from a total newbie ....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

request for help from a total newbie ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: request for help from a total newbie .... Reply with quote

Hello Folks ....

I just purchased a TomTom One [the one in the green box] and am totally clueless about a few things:
The version I have has the USA and Canada maps on the SD card which I have inserted into the device.

#1. How do you determine what version you have ?

#2. I can download all the USA POI's i want / need into a Zip Genius .zip file, but I'm then lost. What do you have to do to unzip the file and instal them onto the device.

#3. Is there a way that you can create your own POI's ?? For example, say I have a favorite Italian restaurant ... wnat do I need to do to add that to my POI's list ?? Or is there a "favorites" section on the TomTom itself ??

I realize these qustions are probably reduntant .. thanks very much in advance.

Phil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: request for help from a total newbie .... Reply with quote

PurpleDog wrote:
Hello Folks ....

I just purchased a TomTom One [the one in the green box] and am totally clueless about a few things:
The version I have has the USA and Canada maps on the SD card which I have inserted into the device.

#1. How do you determine what version you have ?

The ONE had quite a few versions but yours sounds like the New edition.
Quote:
#2. I can download all the USA POI's i want / need into a Zip Genius .zip file, but I'm then lost. What do you have to do to unzip the file and instal them onto the device.

You need to unzip them and copy the resulting files into the map folder (USA or whatever your map folder is called).
Quote:
#3. Is there a way that you can create your own POI's ?? For example, say I have a favorite Italian restaurant ... wnat do I need to do to add that to my POI's list ?? Or is there a "favorites" section on the TomTom itself ??l

Yes you can create a new POI category such as 'My Fave Restaurants' or 'Family' etc and then save favourite locations into there.
thestarsshine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Edition-wise Reply with quote

The GO ONE Europe is, obviously, the "first" unit.

Therefore, if you're an American with a GO ONE you have the 2nd Edition. Your serial number, since you have an SD card, will start -C_NO: E'. Without the SD card it would be 'C_NO: Z'. The ONE 3rd Edition have 'C_NO: Y' serial numbers.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also be able to add the restaurant as a favourite, without the need to create a specific POI category if you so wish.

On the main menu (probably not on the first screen) there should be an option to "Add Favourite". Any favourites added can then be updated by going to "Change Preferences" then "Manage Favourites".

I'm not sure what the limit is on the number of favourites you can have, but at some stage you may find that you have too many of them - that is the time to consider converting them to POI categories.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: