Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - StreetPilot C510 won't boot up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

StreetPilot C510 won't boot up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That solution seems fairly specific to a range of GPSMAP units, not Streetpilots or Nuvis.
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks,

Firstly thanks to Phil, Paul, Big Perk & Swing for trying to help here. I realise that's what forums are for but it's still helpful when other posters try to offer assistance.

As you may have gathered I have decided to give up with my C510. I tried all subsequent suggestions without success and found that I can't cope with a voiceless Satnav. Another irritation I found with my last attempt is that it would only show Garmin POIs Sad

Despite all my earlier rants about Garmin reliability I tried friends' other machines at the weekend and found that I much preferred the Garmin mapping; ease of use and screen clarity. So, perhaps foolishly, I decided that my C510 was probably a rogue unit which didn't have the good grace to fail during the 12 month warranty period and have ordered a new Garmin.

All I need now is to find a suitable funeral for the 510. Tying it to a rocket on 5 November? Wiring it direct to 240v? Just taking it all to bits and selling each item on e-bay (it works for cars Very Happy ).

I am now awaiting the arrival of a Nuvi 660 (with 2 years warranty!)

Tazz
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see P.M.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a seemingly unrecoverable crash on my 660 first day of my 5 week holiday driving to Spain. The unit booted to the point of loading maps and then shut down. I tried the reset button and also the hard reset (switching on with finger in bottom right of screen, if I remember correctly). Neither helped. Then I remembered seeing something about Maintenance Mode on these forums. I found this as switch on while holding top left corner of screen. Do you really want to start in Maintenace Mode? YES! A menu screen appears and it was not until I cleared waypoints that I was able to boot again. Naturally, I lost all my favourites, but I had taken the precaution of removing my 2Gb SD card before experimenting. When I restarted the unit behaved quite differently, I think that it told me it was reloading software. I was so relieved to see something happening that I did not note it down carefully!

After that the unit has performed quite normally. HOWEVER - when bought it had the difficult touch screen syndrome which was cured by the update to 3.8 atthe expense of needing very firm pressure on the screen. After the recovery the screen is accurate and the pressure needed is normal.

I don't know if the C510 has Maintenance Mode but you could try switching on with various corners pressed to see what happens.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: