Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarek12000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: TomTom One 520 Reply with quote

I am thinking of buying a 520 and have read all the negative things with the 720, particularly the issues with handsfree and speaker.

Are these problems unique to the 720 or do they affect the 520 as well?
Is there anyone out there with a 520 that can provide some help?

Thanks,
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik the only difference between the two is the mapping, they share the same body, screen & hardware, there maybe some small technical differences but nothing much.

The only reason I went for a 720 was down to the fact that about 6 times a year we go over to France & Belgium for shopping trips, so the Euro maps are needed and it was only around £20 more than the 520, so made sense, rather than buy & install the maps separately.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the 720 has 2Gb of internal memory, the 520 has 512Mb.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Handsfree problem (buzzing at the "other end") affected quite a few (early?) examples. Check it when you buy and exchange the unit for a new one straight away if it happens.
I think the speaker problem is partially a red herring. Firstly the speaker is tiny in order to make the unit flatter. If (like me) you were used to the huge speaker on the x00 models, it will never be as good.
If the battery is low, the volume/quality will suffer, but that's the same with any portable equipment, even a transistor radio. I always have mine powered by the cigarette lighter adapter and it seems OK.
The text to speech voices have been squashed to fit them into the smaller storage space and apparently sound worse than they did on the 910. To me they are definitely distorted, but if I switch back to a "real" voice all is fine.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set my speaker preferences to put navigation instructions through my FM radio and the sound quality is virtually as good as the recorded voices (even though the nice lady does have some problems with some words). I have a Renault with a steering wheel extension stalk for radio, so I can mess with the volume and even mute it whenever I like. The only problem is I can't use the radio for anything else, like listening out for traffic news. I did buy a battery powered, free standing speaker set (iPod/radio etc) last Saturday to try - it works, but not well enough so it's going back.

This is my third GO720 - the first two went back with the buzzing and other problems.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: