Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 6XX
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 6XX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: nuvi 6XX Reply with quote

I am new to sat nav, but am currently researching the market for a suitable model. So far I am interested in the Garmin nuvi 610 / 660 but have not found a comprehensive review similar to the one on this site for the nuvi 350. does anyone know of such a review and is one forthcomiong on this site?
Chris.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: No eyed deer. Reply with quote

You could check the Garmin website as they have a good compare utility:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?compare=compare&compareProduct=6290&compareProduct=6292&compareProduct=400

I'm pretty sure that the 610/660 would use the same maps/navigation algorithms as the 350, as well as the same basic functions. The extras you get are: Wide screen and Bluetooth. The 610 will have just UK and Ireland Maps, the 660/350 have full western europe maps.

If you not that keen on the bigger screen, but want the bluetooth hands free calling go with a 360.

Also I'm sure that the fm transmitter mentioned on the Garmin web page is disabled/removed from the UK versions, but I don;t knpow for certain:

---------------------------------------------
Nuvi 350 (4.60 GTM4.40 v9 NT Maps)
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No eyed deer. Reply with quote

adrian_anastas wrote:
Also I'm sure that the fm transmitter mentioned on the Garmin web page is disabled/removed from the UK versions, but I don;t knpow for certain:

It was disabled/removed from the original 660 but it is present in the 660FM which is, as far as I know, what Garmin UK is selling now. You may find some dealers still selling older 660's though.

I bought a 660FM when I gave my daughter my 660 when she moved to London. The FM transmitter works OK but I find, in order to clearly hear the voices, I have to turn the radio volume up to high - music becomes far too loud. Could just be a problem with my unit though.
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: No eyed deer. Reply with quote

redsquirrel wrote:

I bought a 660FM when I gave my daughter my 660 when she moved to London. The FM transmitter works OK but I find, in order to clearly hear the voices, I have to turn the radio volume up to high - music becomes far too loud. Could just be a problem with my unit though.

Probably not a fault - 660s with TTS directions are particularly quiet. I have a direct line connection from my 660 into my car radio. The direction voices are quiet enough to have the volume several notches up beyond my 'normal' Radio/CD listening.

There is a thread in this forum somewhere about changing the volume levels for TTS voices on the 660 - it sort of works but I found that even small level changes caused annoying distortion - I guess the s/w that does the TTS is working the best it can.
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. The Garmin UK site does state in the "660 mini site" that the 660 UK version does not have the FM transmitter. I searched on "660FM" on the UK Garmin site, but nothing found. Is the 660 audio output volume adequate?
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only 660 available in the UK at the moment is the 660FM ( which has the in-built FM transmitter).

I recently took my 660 (non FM) back to Halfords for a replacement under warranty and the only units they had were 660FM.

If some one tries to sell you a 660 (non FM) then walk away, they are trying to offload old stock.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradders2 wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. The Garmin UK site does state in the "660 mini site" that the 660 UK version does not have the FM transmitter. I searched on "660FM" on the UK Garmin site, but nothing found. Is the 660 audio output volume adequate?

That's odd - the main UK site only has the 660FM see this

The volume output is more than adequate for most car situations. The internal speaker can't really handle the full power without a bit of distortion. As said above - only 660FM is now available - so you can get the level of sound you require. As I said I have my 660 wired into my radio (via the stereo socket) and the sound quality (and volume Wink ) is very good.
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil pugh wrote
Quote:
[That's odd - the main UK site only has the 660FM see this link]

Thanks Phil, I see what you mean. But if you link to

http://www8.garmin.com/uk/automotive/nuvi660.htm - that site is obviously behind the times!

I had a demo in Halfords today (660FM) and the unit's audio volume seemed fine. Very Happy

I was also told that if any camera database software other tha Garmin was installed, the guarantee would be invalidated. Confused
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradders2 wrote:
I was also told that if any camera database software other tha Garmin was installed, the guarantee would be invalidated. Confused

That has to be absolute garbage. Garmin supply the POILoader program and you then use that program to load some POI's. How on earth can that invalidate the warranty?

Sounds like a bit of Halford's rubbish to me, assuming it was Halfords who told it to you whilst you were having your demo.
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
camera database software

As redsquirrel says this is rubbish. The camera database is a collection of POIs and not software. Garmin give you POILoader so you can load POIs onto their units.
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. point noted. Yes, that came from the Halfords resident expert. I just wanted it confirmed or demolished. Very Happy
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captureboy wrote:
I think the only 660 available in the UK at the moment is the 660FM ( which has the in-built FM transmitter).

I recently took my 660 (non FM) back to Halfords for a replacement under warranty and the only units they had were 660FM.

If some one tries to sell you a 660 (non FM) then walk away, they are trying to offload old stock.

Hi,

I noticed that you said you took your 660 back under Warranty and got it exchanged for a 660FM, I was just wondering how long you'd had your 660, because I've had mine since New Years Day, & when I rang Halfords explaining the problem I sometimes have with mine they said they'd have to send it away for repair to Garmin because it's after the 28 day period, but there's no way I can live without my Garmin for a day.

I've still got my receipt, so presumed they'd swap it straight away tbh.

Cheers

MarkT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ought my 660 in January 07, I got the till receipt and an A4 printed sheet which was my warranty, it was on the warranty that it said if I had any problems within 12 months of purchase to return it to the nearest Halfords.

I, like you, cannot live without my 660 for a day so the thought of sending it back to Garmin brought me out in a cold sweat.

I went into my nearest Halfords branch, not the one where I bought it, and spoke to the deputy manager, who happened to be the guy who sold it the 660 to me in the first place, and after a quick check and a short phonecall exchanged it for a 660fm.

It all took about 15 mins, couldn't be happier.
GPS SW Version 3.00
GTM SW Version 4.80
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captureboy wrote:
I ought my 660 in January 07, I got the till receipt and an A4 printed sheet which was my warranty, it was on the warranty that it said if I had any problems within 12 months of purchase to return it to the nearest Halfords.

I, like you, cannot live without my 660 for a day so the thought of sending it back to Garmin brought me out in a cold sweat.

I went into my nearest Halfords branch, not the one where I bought it, and spoke to the deputy manager, who happened to be the guy who sold it the 660 to me in the first place, and after a quick check and a short phonecall exchanged it for a 660fm.

It all took about 15 mins, couldn't be happier.

Do you mind me asking what the problem was with yours please??

Cheers

MarkT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 660 failed to pickup any GPS satelite signals. The unit would recognise when the ariel was raised or lowered but the GPS status screen would show that the unit was not looking for GPS signals, there were no bars on the right hand side against the satelite numbers.

I left the unit outside with a clear view of the sky on a sunny day for 10 hours and it still failed to lock on to a GPS signal.
GPS SW Version 3.00
GTM SW Version 4.80

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: