Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 300 Europe map upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 300 Europe map upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidspringall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 300 Europe map upgrade Reply with quote

First post and looking for some advice, can anyone help with the following?

I have a Nuvi 300 with V8 UK and Ireland maps which I want to upgrade to V9 UK & Europe.

A Garmin dealer has advised that I update with Garmin for approx £40 and the upgrade will include full European maps.

Garmin themselves advise that I don't upgrade with them but instead buy a V9 update DVD from a dealer together with a 2Gig SD card. Garmin tell me that the upgrade DVD they supply does contain European maps but the unlock code they issue will only unlock UK and Ireland, and that they cannot supply the full European maps direct.

So, does anyone know the best way to upgrade a Nuvi 300 to V9 UK and European maps?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Enough Space? Reply with quote

Hi David,

I'm pretty sure the issue you'll face with just a DVD is that the 300 won't have the space to hold full europe maps. The V9 maps I have for my 350 take up almost 1.4 GB of the 2 Gb Storage. Even if you did have the space Garmin is correct, you'll need an unlock code to use the full europe maps.

Can you let us know how much storage space is on the 300? I checked by connecting to my PC and checking the properties of the NUVI drive.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be best to put Europe onto a separate SD card - I don't think there will be enough memory on the base unit.

Also - we (that's us European nuvi users) are "eagerly" awaiting the next release of the mapping- could be anytime up to the end of the year. I believe it's going to be version 2008 (as apposed to V10) - so you may just want to hang fire for a while.
Davidspringall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Space? Reply with quote

adrian_anastas wrote:
Hi David,

I'm pretty sure the issue you'll face with just a DVD is that the 300 won't have the space to hold full europe maps. The V9 maps I have for my 350 take up almost 1.4 GB of the 2 Gb Storage. Even if you did have the space Garmin is correct, you'll need an unlock code to use the full europe maps.

Can you let us know how much storage space is on the 300? I checked by connecting to my PC and checking the properties of the NUVI drive.

I am pretty sure that I won't be able to fit the full European mapping into the base unit, but buying an SD card as extra storage isn't a problem (or buying Europe maps on an SD card?).

My computer shows the internal drive capacity as 415 MB of which 261 MB have been used by (presumably) UK maps and speed camera info.

So it sounds like buy V9 European maps from a dealer and that should update the internal V8 UK maps as well? I can't be arsed waiting for V10 to appear.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Space? Reply with quote

Davidspringall wrote:
So it sounds like buy V9 European maps from a dealer and that should update the internal V8 UK maps as well? I can't be arsed waiting for V10 to appear.
Possibly not - you need the upgrade DVD, not just the v9 DVD. The easiest way of getting this is, having registered your unit on MyGarmin, select the v9 upgrade DVD and Garmin will send you the DVD free of charge (there will still be a charge to unlock the maps though). This will upgrade your built in maps, and should also unlock Europe for you.

With a standard v9 DVD you will have no way of upgrading the built in maps, and will then suffer postcode and TMC (if used) problems due to the mismatch of the v8 built in / v9 addon maps.
Davidspringall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

Every bit of advice I get seems to conflict with the previous! The safest way to get the full updates I want would be to purchase the update dvd from Garmin to update the internal maps, then European maps on a seperate SD card (or DVD plus SD card). If I do that it will cost nearly as much as buying a new unit with European maps pre-loaded, I might as well buy new and have an out of date backup.

If I could be sure that the Garmin unlock code would unlock the European maps as well as UK I would do that instantly, but if I do that and European maps don't unlock I am pretty much committed. Does anyone have any recent experience of whether the European maps will unlock with a Nuvi 300 unlock code? Garmin say no (but they would say that...), and I believe there were some recent changes to the unlock procedure (maps only unlock onto one unit) that may support the theory that Europe no longer unlocks?

Thanks again.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidspringall wrote:
Does anyone have any recent experience of whether the European maps will unlock with a Nuvi 300 unlock code? Garmin say no (but they would say that...)
Hang on, the unlock code already in the box will not unlock European maps, and Garmin are quite correct on that point. I think you have v8 maps right now - if you order the v9 upgrade DVD then for the £40-odd quid charge you will pay Garmin it should include unlocking the whole of Europe (if you search back through v9 upgrade messages from around Nov 06 - Mar 07 you should find comments about people getting the whole of Europe, some even on free map upgrades).

If you order the upgrade DVD, and it doesn't provide full European coverage, then spend more on additional DVDs, but I suspect you will find, as others have, that the upgrade price includes the whole of Europe...

I should also point out that the unlock code in the box will be for the version of maps already supplied with your unit, ie v8 - this code will not unlock a v9 map disk for any region.
mikeecix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps but I have just upgraded from a UK/Eire StreetPilot i3 to Nuvi 310. I ordered my free V9 UK/Europe update DVD from Garmin earlier this year to update the i3 maps from V8 to V9 by using the registration code I received with my i3. This unlocked all of Europe, not just V9 of UK/Eire.

My new Nuvi 310 had V8 maps installed so used the same i3 registration code to unlock V9 maps for use on my Nuvi 310 via the Garmin website. This has again unlocked all of Europe for use on my Nuvi. I believe I was able to do this because Garmin allows you to unlock a maximum of 2 GPS units per code (correct me if I'm wrong!).

Not sure what this proves but I didn't need to pay any extra to get all of Europe unlocked on both my i3 and Nuvi. I still have an unused registration code in the Nuvi box which I'm hoping to use on the V10 update DVD whenever it's released.

Hope this hasn't confused matters further!

-Mikee-
Davidspringall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the current unlock codes only unlock one unit not two? A dealer I spoke to suggested that the ability to unlock full european maps on the Garmin update disc may have changed at the same time as the reduction on number of units unlocked?

Thanks all.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeecix - the unlock code in the Nuvi box would only unlock MapSource for v8 maps for UK/Ireland only, so you are much better off with your 2 unit v9 unlock code Smile

As for the two unit / one unit situation, I believe the next update, ie City Navigator 2008 (or v10) will only allow one device to be unlocked, so in Mike's case, to upgrade both units to v10 he will now need to purchase two unlock codes...

David - Mike's recent update has also confirmed the situation of last year - the v9 upgrade DVD when unlocked will move you from UK/Ireland only to full European coverage.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: