Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a One Third Edition today (UK Only version) it was switched on this morning at 04:45HR and used until 07:30HR with no problems at all, I left the device powered in the car (as the charger socket has power all the time). It was then used on the return trip of some 4.5 Hours with no problems, other than a slight RDS-TMC issue - no crashes or hang-ups at all. I appreciate this doesn't help identify a specific problem but I have to say the device worked very well.

With the devices that have been sent back or are crashing, are these UK only or full Europe per chance? - Mike
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have used a One Third Edition today (UK Only version) it was switched on this morning at 04:45HR and used until 07:30HR with no problems at all, I left the device powered in the car (as the charger socket has power all the time). It was then used on the return trip of some 4.5 Hours with no problems, other than a slight RDS-TMC issue - no crashes or hang-ups at all. I appreciate this doesn't help identify a specific problem but I have to say the device worked very well.

With the devices that have been sent back or are crashing, are these UK only or full Europe per chance? - Mike

Mine is a europe model and it crashed 6 times on a run from east london to Chippenham, which is roughly once every 20 miles. On the way back I reset it to factory defaults as suggested by TomTom, and it did not crash once.
So not sure wether to take it back or give it another chance. I'm certainly keeping the receipt safe!.

Alan
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Both units were UK regional that I returned. They initially started to reboot after the first 50miles or so and then at random, no matter if it was a short or long trip.

Quote:
I have used a One Third Edition today (UK Only version)

Quote:
- no crashes or hang-ups at all

Mike, with the unit you tested, did you have the speed camera data base from this site loaded Question Both of mine had it loaded as per instructions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, speed cameras installed with ogg spoken alerts, I had removed the TomTom warnings and installed a custom menu but otherwise the device was stock. I only left it running all day to see if I could make it fall over, as I said the Traffic info played up on the way home, but I suspect that was a diferent issue no related to the hardware - Mike
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the uncertainty is part of the problem. Acceptance of the problem by TomTom would help and if I knew that a resolution was on its way then I'd be quite happy to hang on.

In my last submission to TomTom support I've included a link to this thread and said that I am reluctant to do all the resetting/deleting stuff unless I know it will address the problem rather than just a 'try it and see' exercise.

I'm hoping for a response this morning and I'll see what they say but I've got everything with me for a call into Halfords on the way home. Replacement/Refund Question
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from TomTom

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

If you are unhappy with the tomtom I would exchange it within the 28 days after that it is not possible to exchange and it will have to come in for repair I can only suggest trying using it without the vist britain POI'S to see if it works well without that.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 20/09/2007 10.36 AM
Apologies if I am being stupid but isn't that the question I originally asked 08/09/07 7.21 pm.

As I am now near to the expiry of the 28 day period what happens if the unit remains faulty with the same fault after the 28 day period?

It appears that you are unaware of this problem and any possible solution despite it being reported by others. I really don't know what to do for the best. The forum I linked to suggests that a TomTom support user has mentioned a new update v7.135. Is it worth waiting for this.

Can anyone recommend a replacement?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still within the 28 days replacement period get it swapped for another one, if that does the same behaviour either swap it or demand a full refund - Mike
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you are still within the 28 days replacement period get it swapped for another one, if that does the same behaviour either swap it or demand a full refund - Mike

There is no such thing as a 28 day replacement period. if something fails within a 'reasonable period' you are entitled to a full refund. TomTom has no say in this matter, you have no contract with TomTom.

ALan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanchown wrote:

There is no such thing as a 28 day replacement period. if something fails within a 'reasonable period' you are entitled to a full refund. TomTom has no say in this matter, you have no contract with TomTom.

ALan

But expect one hell of a fight from the likes of Currys, PC World, Comet etc. to get them to accept your rights. Evil or Very Mad
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
alanchown wrote:

ALan

But expect one hell of a fight from the likes of Currys, PC World, Comet etc. to get them to accept your rights. Evil or Very Mad

I did indeed have one hell of a fight once with PC World. they refused to replace a printer that was 29 days old. I stood there for an hour (must not have had much on that day) and just refused to accept a repair. The store manager was eventually called and gave me a replacement. I complained to head office and also to trading standards, who confirmed that I was well within my rights to refuse a repair. My local trading standards were of the view that something costing a couple of hundred pounds should be replaced within 12 months.
I think that if you accept a repair you may cause yourself problems-say they keep it for 2 months whilst repairing it, say it comes back the same. NEVER accept a repair.

Alan
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had so much hassle and running around to do I swapped to a Garmin Nuvi 200 yesterday. Not had a chance to really try it out yet but it hasn't switched itself off yet! Smile

I found TomTom support quite unhelpful and not fully aware of the products they have. It was all a bit like the 'try a reboot' 'leave it overnight' sort of advice we are used to getting from all types of tech support. Mad

I think they have hurried this product out without making sure it was fully supported. Even the download manual is littered with errors. Confused

Shame though - I quite liked the unit.

But it's bye bye TomTom for me. (3 Ones in 27 days - anyone had more?)
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info my replacement has now lasted 10 days without reboots.

and if anyones interested the PC desktop App Version 2 can be downloaded from
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_0_0_370_win.exe

As they managed to not have the link correct on their own site :-)

Jon
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KalamakiBob wrote:
I had so much hassle and running around to do I swapped to a Garmin Nuvi 200 yesterday. Not had a chance to really try it out yet but it hasn't switched itself off yet! Smile

I found TomTom support quite unhelpful and not fully aware of the products they have. It was all a bit like the 'try a reboot' 'leave it overnight' sort of advice we are used to getting from all types of tech support. Mad

I think they have hurried this product out without making sure it was fully supported. Even the download manual is littered with errors. Confused

Shame though - I quite liked the unit.

But it's bye bye TomTom for me. (3 Ones in 27 days - anyone had more?)

I took my TomTom back to Tescos today and swapped it for another one. Lets see how this one goes.

TomTom must have had a few back by now.

Alan
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Garmin Nuvi 200 is working fine. Slower to aquire sats but quicker on recalculating routes and possible a little more accurate. Speed camera audio alerts only when you are exceeding the limits add to a better experience. Its a very good match for the TomTom and I'm getting to prefer it day by day. My wife would like a male voice (she liked Ken on the TomTom) but I'm ok with the single female one available on the standard setting. Dissapointing that the Nuvi doesn't come with a USB cable but needs one. Confused

I'm writing a letter of 'observations' to TomTom but even that has to be by post to the Netherlands. They don't make life easy! I shall persist.
Mad
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KalamakiBob wrote:
My new Garmin Nuvi 200 is working fine. Slower to aquire sats but quicker on recalculating routes and possible a little more accurate.

Bob, I was interested in the 200 myself but after reading a lot of reports that it suffered from 'lag', so that you had passed the junction but the device showed you hadn't reached it, I decided against it.
Appreciate your opinion please.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: