Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No problems that we are aware of..."
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh,thats rather what I thought :-)

Is there anyone in here with one of these that doesnt do this..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out the One V3 is a totally different device to the One Third Edition, I doubt the response from customer support would have been any different though, but to them the One V3 is an established product the One Third Edition is the "new kid on the block"

The bizarre version numbers continue to baffle and confuse people (me included), I think they would have been far better either sticking with the established One Vx (where x could be any number they choose, incrementing for each new version), or giving the One Third Edition a new device name all together, for now we have to work out what people refer to as a TomTom One - anything goes by the looks of things with numbers/ versions etc on this range of products - Mike
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mike, I have obviously been confused by their version numbers. It crashed again o the way home tonight :-(
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on replacement yet. Been looking at the Garmin 660, but its more than I want to pay at moment. Also looking at Garmin 350 which has street name voice direction like the 660 but in the small screen and cheaper. Pixmania are doing 350 for £183. Old NT7 version of map Shocked , but I understand you can update to the latest when you register it?
Possibly TT 710 but I don't know if you can update map like with Garmin? Confused

What about you?
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What about you?

Gonna try another TT just in case I get a good one, then if that fails looking at Garmin Nuvi 250

Just off to fight with Comet....
Cabbie1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ Return your 3rd edition.

2/ Get a refund.

3/ Buy the TomTom One 2nd edition. (Regional or Europe)

Trust me on this

Regards

Ken
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My replacement hasnt hung up yet....

btw Ken have you been through all this?

Jon

here is the response from TomTom support....

If the Tom Tom is repeatedly freezing, in most likelihood this means that the memory is near to full. It is therefore best to reinstall the application update using Tom Tom HOME. Please follow the instructions below to resolve the matter.

Please connect your Tom Tom to your computer BEFORE switching the Tom Tom on. Go into My Computer (Start menu) where you will find a new drive appear referring to Tom Tom/Removable Disc. Open this drive. You will see a series of yellow folders and some files. Please copy the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland folder, Voices folder and Zip folder to your computer. When this is done, please go back to the main My Computer screen, right-click on the Tom Tom/Removable Disc drive and select Format. Format the hard drive/memory card of your Tom Tom ONE. When this has been completed, please copy the three folders back. Now use Tom Tom HOME to reinstall the application update. Your Tom Tom should work fine then.

www.tomtom.com/home

If after performing this procedure the system is still freezing, please take the full product back to the retailer to exchange it for a new box. Please note this can only be done within 28 days of purchase. If you are beyond 28 days, please reply to this e-mail with the link provided and supply us with the partnumber of your device (in brackets on its label starting with 4N00..., or 4S00...), and its serialnumber (on its barcode). We will then be able to help you further.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
thestarsshine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Unit's freezinf/Re-booting Reply with quote

First troubleshooting step we use is deleting/re-installing the application. The reason for this is because there are only 3 "programs" on your SD card: application, map and voice(s). Therefore, if your unit is booting we recommend a soft reset and deleting/re-installing the application as it seems a corrupt application file.

A blinking red X also requires deleting/re-installing the app. However, a red circle and white X is normally a hardware issue - it would save you time to exchange it, honestly.
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info...

Ive exchanged a few more messages with TomTom support who have been _very_ helpful.

Last info I have is that within the next 2 weeks a new update will be released (version 7.135).

They may also come and post some info in the forum later......

Jon
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last info I have is that within the next 2 weeks a new update will be released (version 7.135).

I'd be interested to know if the update fixes the rebooting problem Smile .
I cant make up my mind on a replacement unit Rolling Eyes and I do prefer the way TomTom looks to Garmin.
TerryR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had the same problem as most of you on this forum.
Purchsed a 3rd Edition (or whatever it's called) from The Link, which arrived Saturday.
Played with it yesterday, and it was re-setting every 3 or 4 miles, usually on a junction or roundabout, the most awkward places!
Read all the posts (should have done this before buying, I guess) and rang up Customer Services ar The Link, expecting a difficult time, but was very pleasantly surprised. I told 'Lucy' the problem, and said I was prepared to keep the unit to see if the rumoured software update would cure the problem, and was told the manager would look into it and ring back.
About 5 minutes later, Lucy did ring back, and suggested that they give me a refund, and if I discovered from you guys that the new software cured the problem, I could get another, updated one.
It seems possible that The Link have spoken to TomTom, and are not very convinced that a) the software is imminent or b) it may not cure the problem!
Time will tell.
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also on my second ONE and so far all the resetting/deleting/backing up advice has done nothing.

The latest advice is involved to say the least

Download and install the latest version of TomTom HOME from the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/home

STEP 1. Creating a backup in TomTom HOME

If you have not made a backup yet you can do so by following the steps below:

• Click under 'Content' at the left [Create Backup] in TomTom HOME.
• Then you click in the right row [Create Backup]
IMPORTANT: if the software asks to delete parts of the backup, you choose [No].
• Next you can insert a name and click [Ok]

Now you have made a backup of your TomTom.

STEP 2. Install the latest application via TomTom HOME on your device:
° Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
° Perform a reset on your device (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 )
° Connect the device to the computer and switch it on as soon as it is connected.
° Install the latest software update via TomTom HOME (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6133)
° Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if the challenge mentioned hasn't been solved with the previous instructions.

STEP 3. Format the hard-disk via 'My Computer'

• Connect the TomTom to the computer
• Open 'My Computer'
• Right click on the TomTom icon (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.
• Select 'Quick Format' and 'Format' and the TomTom is now formatted.

STEP 4. Restore the backup in TomTom HOME

• After the unit is formatted, close 'My Computer' and start TomTom HOME
• Select 'Restore Backup' in the left row
• Click on 'Restore Backup' in the right row, select the name you gave to the backup and start restoring the backup.

They also state 'No we have not received any other complaits about this problem you could try uninstalling and re-installing again'

I'm reluctant to do any more to try to sort this as I believe until the software is updated I'll be wasting my time. Unfortunately I only have a few days before my 28 days runs out so I don't know what to do but a Garmin product is looking good at the moment!

Any views? It's a shame as I think the unit is great when it works but I'd like to be able to rely on it rather than waiting for it to fail! Rolling Eyes
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KalamakiBob wrote:
I'm also on my second ONE and so far all the resetting/deleting/backing up advice has done nothing.

The latest advice is involved to say the least

Download and install the latest version of TomTom HOME from the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/home

STEP 1. Creating a backup in TomTom HOME

If you have not made a backup yet you can do so by following the steps below:

• Click under 'Content' at the left [Create Backup] in TomTom HOME.
• Then you click in the right row [Create Backup]
IMPORTANT: if the software asks to delete parts of the backup, you choose [No].
• Next you can insert a name and click [Ok]

Now you have made a backup of your TomTom.

STEP 2. Install the latest application via TomTom HOME on your device:
° Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
° Perform a reset on your device (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 )
° Connect the device to the computer and switch it on as soon as it is connected.
° Install the latest software update via TomTom HOME (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6133)
° Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if the challenge mentioned hasn't been solved with the previous instructions.

STEP 3. Format the hard-disk via 'My Computer'

• Connect the TomTom to the computer
• Open 'My Computer'
• Right click on the TomTom icon (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.
• Select 'Quick Format' and 'Format' and the TomTom is now formatted.

STEP 4. Restore the backup in TomTom HOME

• After the unit is formatted, close 'My Computer' and start TomTom HOME
• Select 'Restore Backup' in the left row
• Click on 'Restore Backup' in the right row, select the name you gave to the backup and start restoring the backup.

They also state 'No we have not received any other complaits about this problem you could try uninstalling and re-installing again'

I'm reluctant to do any more to try to sort this as I believe until the software is updated I'll be wasting my time. Unfortunately I only have a few days before my 28 days runs out so I don't know what to do but a Garmin product is looking good at the moment!

Any views? It's a shame as I think the unit is great when it works but I'd like to be able to rely on it rather than waiting for it to fail! Rolling Eyes

Its not true that there have been no complaints as I have complained too! You can ignore the 28 day thing that they mention, it's rubbish. You are covered by the sale Of goods act which stipulates 'reasonable time'. I think Tom Tom would have some difficulty in claiming that 28 days was reasonable for an electronic device costing close to £200. You have no contract with TomTom. The contract is with the retailer. It is the retailer that will refund and the retailer that you can take action against. Mention of local trading standards usually guarantees a favourable outcome.

Alan
Scirocco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took mine back to Currys today and got a full refund but it is well within the 28 day thing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: