Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Well, Im happy to report that my Tom Tom has now worked without one re-boot for the last two days. I've done a fair amount of driving and plotted different routes and all seems solid. I suspect that it's either Tom Toms own speed camera files causing the issues or possibly the Enjoy England POI's (although not sure our Portugal friend would have these installed Wink). Also worth mentioning that I haven't enabled MapShare.

Tomorrow I'll go about my driving with the pocketgpsworld speed camera files installed and see how I go and if that seems solid install some other custom POI files (probably both the National Trust and English Heritage ones).

spcdust
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My letter of complaint has been acknowledged by TomTom in an e-mail. I had to wrie to them in Holland but they see fit to use e-mail - another rip-off! Nowhere near an answer.
Meanwhile my Nuvi 200 is continuing to do a good job with no fuss or failure. I agree the interface isn't as easy to use but is useable - not at all difficult. It doesn't turn itself off and it does beep as you move from user screen to user screen but not whilst you are driving. Just a voice telling you what direction you need. The Gadget Show rates it as it's mid range choice with the TT One XL the higher end choice.

I am tempted to go along with the current theory that traffic warnings may have some effect as I know mine (can't remember if it was 1, 2 or 3) failed at a traffic light that had a speed camera close by. The Nuvi only indicates when needed and doesn't indicate cameras on the opposite carriageway.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting it out - hope the patience and perseverance are worth it in the end.
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the Tomtom support pages they list 7.120 as latest for Tomtom one/rider etc... (3rd edition is listed).

http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=1953&Language=1&FID=6141

Yet 7.101 is the latest available according to Tomtom home.

Anyone got the 7.120 update?

I notice Tomtom are starting a new advert campaign, it beggars belief that they feel they need to advertise, if they have a good reputation then this is better than any advert. Sadly their testing and support is rubbish, I can't imagine a worse situation than relying on a navigation product only to have it failing leaving you in the lurch.

Last edited by gilesjuk on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems they have changed their information (or written it differently somewhere else!).
I have been trying to keep a list of all the released software versions HERE

Now, I'm fairly sure I got the info here direct from the TT website. See what you think....

Quote:
7.101 - Sept 1st 2007 - (build 8427) Version which ships with the ONE Third Edition, NavCore 7 'Light', which does not include all features of the GO x20 series. MapShare is included though. Standard TT features like Itinerary planning and POI management disabled!

7.120 - 4th Sept 2007 - (build 8459) - For ONE XL only. Major update to NavCore 7 'Light', which does not include all features of the GO x20 series. MapShare is included though.

7.120 - 6th Sept 2007 - (build 8459) -ONE Second Edition only. Major update to NavCore 7 'Light', which does not include all features of the GO x20 series. MapShare is included though. Update is meant only for ONE's with internal Flash-memory, recognisable by their serial number which begins with Z1, Z2 of Z3.

(Note they have given TWO different 7.120 versions/dates)

If you can confirm it, I'll add your report of v7.103 to the list...
neph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spcdust wrote:
Very Happy

Well, Im happy to report that my Tom Tom has now worked without one re-boot for the last two days. I've done a fair amount of driving and plotted different routes and all seems solid. I suspect that it's either Tom Toms own speed camera files causing the issues or possibly the Enjoy England POI's (although not sure our Portugal friend would have these installed Wink). Also worth mentioning that I haven't enabled MapShare.

Tomorrow I'll go about my driving with the pocketgpsworld speed camera files installed and see how I go and if that seems solid install some other custom POI files (probably both the National Trust and English Heritage ones).

spcdust

Nope, i dont have those installed Wink

Yesterday i drove with all "factory" POI's active, it was very slow updating the map, but it didnt reboot once. unclicked the POI's and left only 4 active and everything is fast and smooth again.

Later im going to try and drive with only one default POI active, like gas stations or something, to see if it doesnt reboot..

It would be nice to see some "official" info about this problem.. bue i guess the TOMTOM stocks will drop a bit Rolling Eyes

Hope hour Third Edition problem is over soon.

Cheers
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

If you can confirm it, I'll add your report of v7.103 to the list...

Sorry, I got mixed up, it is 7.101.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the clarification. So from that list, I think 7.12 is only for certain models/serial numbers.
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
OK, thanks for the clarification. So from that list, I think 7.12 is only for certain models/serial numbers.

Being as I'm desperate (I need to use my GPS tomorrow and feel hugely letdown by Tomtom), I've found a version of 7.12 and it runs on my One 3rd edition. No sound though, but I find I check the screen anyway since the mapping isn't always accurate when it comes to roundabout exit numbers.

I'll take it out for a spin later and see if it is stable.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7,101 is the current version for your third edition, if you are running software on the unit that is not designed for it, then I would expect problems - if the device you have is continually re-booting take it back and demand another one - Mike
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
7,101 is the current version for your third edition, if you are running software on the unit that is not designed for it, then I would expect problems - if the device you have is continually re-booting take it back and demand another one - Mike

I've a lot of expertise in the area of Linux and hardware so I'm not worried. The fact that it runs just shows there's very little difference between all the various models. Just extra hardware here, bigger screen there and additional features added or removed to suit pricing policy.

7.101 is the current version yes, but it's buggy and unfit for purpose. Changing it for another of the same model is pointless given the problem is in the software.

As soon as an official update exists I'll install it.
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a problem in as much as there is a 'perceived' 28 day return period. I exchanged my second unit a few days before the 28 days ran out but then hit the snag that 'Home' wouldn't let me register a third device without TomTom resetting the device code. To do this they said they needed a copy of the exchange note. When I told them I didn't have one then they asked for proof of purchase. Now I scanned the receipt into a .tif but I couldn't attach it via the website and they don't have an e-mail address. So basically I was stuffed and the clock was ticking on my return period.

So I couldn't get to really test the third unit before it was make or break and I swapped it for a Nuvi. It was a second choice and I have yet to find out what TomTom have to say about the whole episode. For such a reputable company they seem decidely amateurish.

Despite the obvious number of people reporting this problem they still seem reluctant to accept there is a problem and it is over 2 months since the product was released. I got my first one on that day. A day earlier and I would have got the older unit and probably have been very happy!

Last edited by KalamakiBob on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:

Being as I'm desperate (I need to use my GPS tomorrow and feel hugely letdown by Tomtom), I've found a version of 7.12 and it runs on my One 3rd edition. No sound though, but I find I check the screen anyway since the mapping isn't always accurate when it comes to roundabout exit numbers.

I'll take it out for a spin later and see if it is stable.

I went from a Tom Tom One (3rd Edition) that constantly froze/rebooted to one that has worked flawlessly for the last few days. All I did was a clean install from the back-up dic I had made and then deleted the Tom Tom speed camera files and disabled the MapShare feature (not sure which was causing the problems). Today I've been driving around with the PocketGPSworld speed camera files installed (speed zoned files) and the additional audio alert files and the unit has been absolutely fine.

I was always going to get rid of the Tom Tom speed camera files in favour of the pocketgpsworld ones and I'm not totally convinced that MapShare is such an innovation - when someone confirms they have enabled it on this model with no problems then I'll give it a go.

Over the next few days I'll try a few 3rd party POI's I'm interested in and see if that trips the unit up but at the moment it seems to be working as I would expect.

spcdust
holosys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spcdust"]If people are suffering the freeze and re-boot scenario could they confirm wether they have installed the Visit Britain/Enjoy England POI's? This perhaps would give us an indication wether this is a common factor (my suspicions is that it probably won't be).[/quote]

I bought a TomTom One 3rd Edition, UK and Ireland regional version, software 7.101/8427. I used it straight out of the box with no mods / addons to drive to Glasgow and back this Wednesday gone (to see Rush, awesome!). I used trusty old Jane. There were no problems, no locksups or anything, and the unit performed flawlessly over the 8 or so hours. The new GPS chipset is amazing.

I have now deleted the 'safety' cameras and put on the pgpsw speed cams, removed a ton of unwanted voices and set up a load more options. I'll post back if it starts playing up. I noticed that if I go into the voice selection menu and test the voice, there is a faint high-pitched background whistling noise which remains until the unit is power cycled. I don't need that menu now and so this isn't a problem for me.

One thing worth noting is that before I did anything else I made a full copy of the contents of the drive in case I need to get something back on there, so far it's been okay.

Chris
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My One 3rd works perfectly with the 7.120 version I mentioned, no lockups or reboots (did a 2hr trip this morning). Therefore it's a software problem.
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:
My One 3rd works perfectly with the 7.120 version I mentioned, no lockups or reboots (did a 2hr trip this morning). Therefore it's a software problem.

How did you update, TomTom Home says no updates and I'm at 7.101.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: