Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT720 - Overestimation on travel time, response from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT720 - Overestimation on travel time, response from TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: TT720 - Overestimation on travel time, response from TomTom Reply with quote

Thought you may like this response from TomTom... Submitted a Q on why the calculated times are regularly 25-40% over actual time. (1:15 est, 0:45 actual.... 5:15 est, 3:30 actual, ect)

Quote:

Dear Scott,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. We would be happy to answer your questions on estimated arrival time.

The arrival times on the TomTom range of products use a complex and conservate calculation to determine arrival time. In an attempt to provide accurate and realistic arrival times the unit adds stops for gas, food, and just rest periods for longer trips. While some drivers prefer to drive a long trip straight through from point A to point B, which means they arrive sooner than the unit predicted this arrival time method has proven to be accurate for the majority of our customers. We hope that this answers your questions.
a4000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that tt support never gives an honest answer...
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That answer does look like BS to me. And if it was true, it would be a real poor design decision. Far better to estimate only driving time and let the user allow for planned stops. The only exception, and it isn't really an exception, would be to allow for wait times at known traffic lights (if the map even knows where the traffic lights are) assuming an average wait of about half of a light cycle.

For the software to estimate how often I have to go pee on a long trip would be just plain stupid.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found their trip estimates quite accurate personally?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: TT720 - Overestimation on travel time, response from Tom Reply with quote

MrBeetle wrote:
Thought you may like this response from TomTom... Submitted a Q on why the calculated times are regularly 25-40% over actual time. (1:15 est, 0:45 actual.... 5:15 est, 3:30 actual, ect)
Is this a general question about TomTom or are you suggesting that the n20 models, or at least the new (v7?) software, estimations are different to previous versions?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've found their trip estimates quite accurate personally?

Same here, normally to within 5/10 minutes, which is good enough for me.

To old to die young.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call them accurate if you drive a black VW Golf. In a white Renault Kangoo van, it takes longer. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrBeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the main difference is between the UK and US?

As for which version, I only have experience with the 720.
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

Quote:
Dennis - Soon to be getting the bears in, in Corfu (2 hours ahead).

Do you mean the bears, as in Black or Grizzly, or do you mean the beers as in Hofmeister beer ... Wink Cheers!

Cheers
Paul
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hofmeister bears, only in my case they'll be Amstel bears. Guinness

wjharing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the highway, the time is accurate to the minute (assuming you drive the 70mph limit all the time.

On the small roads, the difference between actual/estimated is the biggest as TT is using an average speed, lower than the ones we can drive typically on those small roads (i.e. not racing or being unsafe or so).

If TT software would alllow us to change the average speed per road type, the data would easily be tweakable and estimated time would be a lot more accurate. It's as simple as that (I think)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjharing wrote:
On the highway, the time is accurate to the minute (assuming you drive the 70mph limit all the time.

If TT software would allow us to change the average speed per road type, the data would easily be tweakable and estimated time would be a lot more accurate. It's as simple as that (I think)
When did you last drive 70 miles at 70mph? You'd be hard pressed to find a single stretch of motorway that long without something getting in your way - roadworks, accidents, idiots. I'm thinking Bristol to Heathrow (took me 2 hours today), Bristol to Birmingham, Bristol to Exeter and Bristol to Swansea.

The configurable speed is a great idea and I think I saw somewhere that it used to be available on TTs. Why they did away with it I'll never know, it's so sensible. Having said which, you've lost some of that facility with Autoroute now - with that, you can configure to drive at "slower", "average" or "faster". But it's still better than TT.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
When did you last drive 70 miles at 70mph?

250miles in france in about 3 hours. Apart from the odd toll stop the speedo generally stayed about 90mph. Couldn't get it to stay at the recomended 130. Wink

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
wjharing wrote:

If TT software would allow us to change the average speed per road type, the data would easily be tweakable and estimated time would be a lot more accurate. It's as simple as that (I think)
When did you last drive 70 miles at 70mph? You'd be hard pressed to find a single stretch of motorway that long without something getting in your way - roadworks, accidents, idiots. I'm thinking Bristol to Heathrow (took me 2 hours today), Bristol to Birmingham, Bristol to Exeter and Bristol to Swansea.

Over here it's easy to find such a stretch. I can easily do it driving north to Maine. That would be a good 3 hours at 70-75. And that 6 hour drive from Rochester, NY to Boston, MA could easily see 75mph almost the entire way.

Quote:

The configurable speed is a great idea and I think I saw somewhere that it used to be available on TTs. Why they did away with it I'll never know, it's so sensible. Having said which, you've lost some of that facility with Autoroute now - with that, you can configure to drive at "slower", "average" or "faster". But it's still better than TT.

I've found that Garmin's way on the iQue 3600 works well. They have settings for "Truck", "motorcycle", "Automobile", "Emergency". I find that "Automobile" works well for me if there will be significant non-highway, down-town driving. "Emergency" works well when I don't expect many street lights or traffic.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyfingers wrote:
Over here it's easy to find such a stretch. I can easily do it driving north to Maine. That would be a good 3 hours at 70-75. And that 6 hour drive from Rochester, NY to Boston, MA could easily see 75mph almost the entire way.
Outright apologies - I tend to forget there is land outside these small islands - there was even a time when we didn't sail very far for fear of falling off the edge!!

Please educate a simple old man - I have been under the impression for years that USA has a national speed limit of 50mph, which was why Smokey got chased?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: