Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tracklog Gone Berserk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tracklog Gone Berserk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Tracklog Gone Berserk Reply with quote

Can anyone help with this.

Was out on a fell race at the weekend using my wrist mounted Garmin Foretrex 201, which I have used many times before.

However, when I got home and uploaded the tracklog to my PC, I discovered the the tracklog was all over the place.

You can see from the extract below. My route (give or take a few yards) is the purple line, whereas the tracklog just literally goes berserk.

Does anyone have an explanation for this.

Cheers

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Baz,

If the gps has worked correctly before, in similar (mountainous) conditions, then I can only suggest that there may have been poor (or unfortunate) gps satellite geometry (positions) on that occasion. Here is part of an answer I posted on the gpspassion site in answer to a similar question from "pwel" (near the end of the page).

The GPS system calculates distances (from known reference points) by the "time of flight" of radio signals. It is possible for a mountain to act as a "mirror" to the radio signal, so the time of flight indicates a larger distance to the satellite. Normally, there are more satellites "visible" than the minimum required for a fix (3 for lat/long only, 4 for altitude as well) and the GPS engine can eliminate any "bad" signals. But many of the 9-12 satellites typically above the (sea) horizon may be hidden behind mountains. If there is only a minimum configuration, and the direct signal from a "reflected" satellite is hidden, then the GPS cannot know of the error.

Also, the basic "reference" data (e.g. for calculating the satellite positions) is transmitted relatively infrequently, and in difficult reception conditions it might become slightly corrupted. In this case, there may be some delay before it is corrected (which may explain the period when your track appears to have been "offset" by a relatively constant distance).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - did you have any other electronic equipment nearby? I have had similar sort of results when running 2 GPS units side-by-side.

The sorts of positional errors you are seeing (around 1-1.5 Km) would imply very poor sat geometery / poor reception conditions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: