Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New problem with TT Home 2.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New problem with TT Home 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Oh and I was minus firewall and anti-virus for less then three minutes. OK, so that's long enough for the hackers to kidnap my wife and children, steal all my Koi carp, pillage my fields and burn down my mansion (several times over), but (so far) they haven't.
I spoke too soon. This morning's full virus test has thrown up v1_3_030_win.exe (and it still has at least half an hour to run). Now, I have no idea what that is (AVG Pro says "Trojan horse Generic6.UMS), but when my virus checker pops something up in bold red, I look round for somewhere to hide!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one reference to that, in Google. Dated 2006, in French.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
eddieTM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I spoke too soon. This morning's full virus test has thrown up v1_3_030_win.exe (and it still has at least half an hour to run). Now, I have no idea what that is (AVG Pro says "Trojan horse Generic6.UMS), but when my virus checker pops something up in bold red, I look round for somewhere to hide!

Switch off System Restore as back up files may be hiding in there, and it will just restore itself. Go to Start - programs - accessories - system tools - system restore.

Goto http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm download, run full scan then delete anything it can't auto fix and restart PC. For good measure run you AVG again see if anything pops up.

After all that don't forget to switch System Restore back on.

HTH

Eddie
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you folks. I couldn't get anywhere with the French page! I don't ever fancy these sites which offer a free scan - why Question Anyway, I've left it in the capable hands of AVG Pro Vault and if it comes up again, I'll turn off restore and run it again. But I do like to have restore points all over the place!!

eddieTM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Thank you folks. I couldn't get anywhere with the French page! I don't ever fancy these sites which offer a free scan - why Question Anyway, I've left it in the capable hands of AVG Pro Vault and if it comes up again, I'll turn off restore and run it again. But I do like to have restore points all over the place!!

You are quite safe with OneCare, yes it IS a free scan and yes it IS Microsoft, however it does not ask for payment like most other sites do. I use it myself and on customers machines, (I also link directly to the same site from my company webpage) when their own anti-virus is in error or can't fix the problem. I do agree however, that there are too many sites claiming to fix all kinds of virus/system problems if you download "this small program" (pop-up are the biggest mode of propagation of this type of scam). I know it can also be a bit of a bind loosing restore points in Windows but they are not all they are cracked up to be - like TomTom updates they don't always work.

On Fire Keep the firewall burning!

Eddie
TTN5 at least it works Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back for another look - it says "Download a free trial version". Pardon me for inferring that means "Pay up at some time". There was another button, however, which indicated it would scan from there (web page), so I clicked it. It doesn't work with my system - Win XP Pro X64 (64-bit). I'm not surprised, most of my other stuff is running off generic drivers instead of their own!

eddieTM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Win XP Pro X64 (64-bit).

Sorry DennisN, if I had read a few more of your posts I would have noticed you have XP Pro X64 and as they have only two versions XP & Vista in Beta you aren't covered. My Mistake. But it does work in XP & Vista (Run from web FULL SYSTEM SCAN in the middle - NOT the paid for download on the right of the page).

Anyway the main thing is, you don't have the trojan anymore do you? However you arrived at the solution.

Eddie.

XP Pro x64 in the one of the few variants of the Windows O.S. I DON'T have courtesy of the Windows Action Pack - One day they will come up with a system that works Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieTM wrote:
One day they will come up with a system that works Laughing
ONLY after all us suckers out here have Beta tested it for 15 years! Have you noticed how wonderfully stable Win 3.11 is these days? Laughing

fmfm20j
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Backup Reply with quote

I've just bought a 720 and the Home software suggested that I update to the latest version. I now have 2.0.0.370.

I am finding that it is possible to download software to the 720 (through XP) but that the backup process seems like it isn't working. I've been through the home procedure and it all seems to start OK. It then claims that it is creating the backup and is processing it and then it just sits there. I've left it for a couple of hours and nothing seems to be happening. The abort button doesn't seem to do anything but I can stop the action by disconnecting the device through the 'device' entry at the top of the screen.

This this behaviour normal? If not, is there a fool proof way to backing up that you could show me? I did search but fear that I might pick up the wrong thread given that the 720 is a relatively new product.

Thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Reply with quote

fmfm20j wrote:
is there a fool proof way to backing up that you could show me? I did search but fear that I might pick up the wrong thread given that the 720 is a relatively new product.

Many of us seriously dislike Home. We backup using Windows Explorer - brief description =

Set Windows explorer to show all files and extensions.
Create a new directory on your PC (e.g. TT720Backup2007-09-23).
On the 720 drive, Edit, Select All, then Copy.
On the new directory - Edit, Paste.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS (sorry for not mentioning before) Remember always to disconnect from your computer properly, i.e. in Home select Device Disconnect, in Win Explorer, right click the drive and select Eject. Failure to do so can cause problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: