Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poiedit cant update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poiedit cant update?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: poiedit cant update? Reply with quote

Tried to update my poi's on tomtom with poiedit since sunday but keep getting :-
Cannot download http://www,pocketgpsworld.com/poisync/pocketgps.xml because of following error :
unable to download http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/poisync/pocketgps.xml

Dnotes website for poiedit shows that its offline? is that so or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Paul
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIEdit doesn't work with the POIs from the Web Site, mainly because they are created on the fly.

You should be looking at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some confusion me thinks?

for the last few years always used poiedit with tt3 through tt6 with pocketgps poi's via the poiedit manager program @ www.poiedit.com. This would then update all my pois that i had on my list every time i connected the pda to the pc. Now i get the message as mentioned in my 1st post and if you go to their website @ http://www.poiedit.com/sites.htm it says that pocketgps site is offline?

So has something altered in the last couple of weeks from updating to change all this?

Hope you understand what im getting at?

Regards,

Paul
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As oldboy was saying, this no longer works because we now generate the POI lists dynamically. We haven't got hold of the POIedit developer - not sure if he/she still exists.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay got you.

seen the list but nothing on speed camera's? where are they in that list.

Sorry to appear not with it Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefenderBLACK wrote:
okay got you.

seen the list but nothing on speed camera's? where are they in that list.

Sorry to appear not with it Confused

speed cameras are from a different page - click on 'speed cameras' on the top of any page or the top left speed camera icon (the one with the globe behind it)

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We haven't got hold of the POIedit developer - not sure if he/she still exists.

A liitle bit unfair, that comment smacks of being anti poiedit, It doesnt take much effort to find the Dnote site and note that they have issued an update V5.1.0 2007 within the last few days. I also note that dnote is a contributor to this site and has stated his willingness to include PGPSW database has a lot of posters, I personally cannot see that the pois being a dynamic downoad is a bar to being included on poiedit, or is there another reason,
Incidently the database used to be downloadable via poiedit well after the introduction of the new database albeit out of date, nut recently removed.
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to PAY !!!!! to get the speed camera's now??

If so is that why its all changed!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefenderBLACK wrote:
Do you have to PAY !!!!! to get the speed camera's now??

If so is that why its all changed!

The charge came in from Feb 2006 and anyone who either submitted cameras before the charge or donated money was offered free lifetime membership. anyone who is the first to submit a new camera or is the first to inform us of a change to a static camera also gets free lifetime membership. this was covered at length in the months leading up to the charge being introduced.

aj2052 wrote:
I personally cannot see that the pois being a dynamic downoad is a bar to being included on poiedit, or is there another reason,
Incidently the database used to be downloadable via poiedit well after the introduction of the new database albeit out of date, nut recently removed.

since the new system, the only files available were those from the old set - i.e. plain csv or ov2 files that were rarely, if ever, updated. these were moved over to the new system and have since been updated by thousands of users.

as for the live download of the POI database, yes, this does affect the ability to distribute it via poi edit. how can we give a file to poi edit when no such file exists? each download is made on the fly so from one day to the next there may be 500 extra pois in the entire database - unless we created individual files two times every single day for each of the sub-categories then the files available via poi edit would be way out of date and people would complain. instead, when you download a file-set you are getting the most up to date available.

hope this helps

MaFt
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understand all you are saying about creating data on the fly.
But its taken me two days to find out why I can no longer use POI Edit.
My problems started last week, and I looked on the POI Edit site, and also on the PocketGPSWorld site.
Neither of them mention that POI Edit no longer works. That is the bit I find annoying.
Quoting from the PocketGPSWorld web site today
Quote:
Pocket GPS POI-Sync uses a desktop syncing program called POIEdit. This allows you to dock your PC, connect to the internet and sync to our site and download the latest versions of POI's or new POI's, easily and without fuss.

But, you also have to read this extract (the italics are mine - this is the ONLY mention of it stopping working):
Quote:
If you have TomTom Navigator, then why not get the best out of the POI's by subscribing to our FREE Pocket GPS POI-Sync Service. Please note that these datasets will no longer be updated. The latest POI data can be found in our Dynamic POI Database service.

That's not very nice, to hide it away. And it only says not updated, it does not say "POI-Edit will appear to show that PocketGPSWorld is offline and thus confuse you to bits"

I am a lifetime member, having reported several cameras, so i had read all the stuff around that time. It dod not from my recollection advise me I'd have to go back to manual downloading.

So what we are saying is that we must manually download ALL of the POIs that we need? That includes ordinary POIs and also Speed Cameras? What a pain, after I had spent so long setting up POI Edit (which i was originally led to by PocketGPSWorld).

It also means I have to delete all of the POIs that I have already got on my PDA.

Oh bother! Shocked
Jim
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote March 3 2006:
Quote:
POI-Edit will be supported in the subscription version but it is not currently.

Quote March 6 2006 Robrady Pocket Gps Team
Thank you for your good wishes.

Quote:
it's development apears to be fairly low on your priorities

I'm pleased to report that is not the case. The work to integrate PayPal has already started making POIEdit the next priority, i.e. it couldn't get any higher. It's just a shame it's clashed with the Cebit visit, which was arranged months ago after an invite from the Foreign Office - it was difficult to say no Smile

We were genuinely taken by surprise at how many people are using POIEdit.

I suppose, on reflection we shouldn't have been. If you think about it, 30,000 people visit the site a day and if only 0.01% used POIEdit, that would be 300. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! As non-users, Darren and MikeB, the main technical guys, have got to start the integration from a 'novices' point of view, so you may need to bear with them. I'm sure they'll be able to handle it though. You will, won't you guys

Not many services or products support ALL add-ons. This is usually for commercial reasons. However, it is certainly our intention to support as many as possible. We appreciate that it is recommended on this site, but 100s of other services are as well (not necessarily of the same type of course). It is only reasonable for us to support what there is a demand for, hence our serious prioritisation of POIEdit.

We have a huge list of to-dos which will probably take in the region of several months (and then we'll probably think of more :D ). This is the main reason we decided not to put the launch back. We were also very surprised - especially following some of the negative feedback after the initial membership announcement - at the amount of pressure put on us to get the Member area launched (yes really!). You can see evidence of this on the forums, but we were also inundated with PMs and emails pushing for the launch. It was incredible the amount of people who wanted to pay the subscription before the launch. We even have members now asking us how to pay more (again, yes really!).

We have been overwhelmed with the support we have received since launch and we can't thank the community enough.

The discussion about whether we would charge or not has been in progress for almost 3 years and we waited for over 2 months to launch after the initial announcement so I don't believe it was a rushed decision.

Overall, we are pleased we made the decision to launch when we did as 1000s now have membership and have downloaded the database. Hundreds have already entered the competition and dozens have registered for retailer discounts (therefore recouping their membership fees).

We want to make sure everyone is happy on the forums, so we genuinely welcome your feedback and suggestions.
Quote:

Although the above is specifically aimed at the speed camera database, I think it is equally apllicable to POIs, and I think the people that (did) use Poiedit is grossly underestimated and all effort should be made to bring it back into the fold.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sadly it does not look as if I am going to be able to download all of the POIs that I would like.
I can download them as individual files, but that gives me 673 objects, around half of them POI files.
TomTom cannot cope with that many.

Nothing I do will seem to let me download the bigger combined categories, whether or not i try just one category, or many, whether i tick the show link box or not. "Show link" does allow me to download sub categories and some combined categories in IE7 and Opera.
Trial and error shows i can download some of the categories. Initially i thought it was size related, but Accomodation does NOT work (2314) whereas Associations (3309) does. ATM does work (10691). Food & Drink does not work. Confused

I have tried IE7 for categories, and "sometimes" is actually "nearly always".
Quote:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

I have tried Opera, and it says
Quote:
Error! Connection closed by remote server

I have tried Firefox (on my PC, not a Mac) and it does not even get to show the categories..
Quote:
3. Select POIs (date of last update : number of POIs)
Loading POI categories...

Please can you explain how you deal with amendments?
Quote:
As non-users, Darren and MikeB, the main technical guys, have got to start the integration from a 'novices' point of view, so you may need to bear with them.

At the moment, all i can think is that I need to look at the database every so often, and manually look at the categories and sub categories that I want, to see the last date amended. I'll have to remember this list of categories from time to time, as I cannot find a way to save those choices. Then I will have to download tehm, unzip them into my PC directory, and copy them to my PDA.

Regrettably, to download few enough that i can actually use them in TomTom, I will have to expand each of the gategories, and be ruthless about which sub categories i do download. That rather destroys hte benefit of so many POIs.

Sounds like a paper and pencil job Wink
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is wierd.

As a follow up to my last post, Accomodation will download as a combined Category if it has only 31 sub categories selected. THat means unselecting 8 sub categories.

It does not matter which of htem - big or small numbers within the sub categories. I deselected all of hte 1s 2s, a 3 and a 5.

Is this the answer - no more than 31 sub categories?

This trick works in both IE7 and Opera. I cannot be bothered to check it in FIrefox.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct fellwalker, in my case I find the optimum number is 22 in combined, you then repeat for another 22, and so on until all downloaded, then run poiedit and then append(combine) all these downloads to one file suitably renamed of course, easy isnt it, but of course a pain in the butt. If you search the forum you will find it a much discussed subject and we still have to suffer it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

I am a lifetime member, having reported several cameras, so i had read all the stuff around that time. It dod not from my recollection advise me I'd have to go back to manual downloading.

So what we are saying is that we must manually download ALL of the POIs that we need? That includes ordinary POIs and also Speed Cameras? What a pain, after I had spent so long setting up POI Edit (which i was originally led to by PocketGPSWorld).

have you been using the speed cam files from poi edit since the charge came in? they have not been updated since the charge as we cannot control membership via poi edit so if you have then they will be way out of date.

regarding updating - how frequently do you actually update them? personally i update mine probably 2 maybe 3 times a year and the extra few minutes to choose and download is no problem.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: