Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M3 surprises for Garmin owners.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 surprises for Garmin owners.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: M3 surprises for Garmin owners. Reply with quote

We just came home from Farnborough and crossed over the M3 at Latitude 51.33500231917201 Longtituded -0.7206666469573975
On the Camberley roundabout over the M3 with no exit or entrance to the M3 there were three small cameras facing the rear of cars below on th M3 heading for london.
The cable from the cameras trailed around the corner to a Police Speed camera van that was well hidden from the traffic passing under the cameras.
I've reported the sighting to the speed cam data base here, but be warned this mobile unit will be moving around. I've never seen this type of set-up before, but all three lanes were covered!
So other Garmin owners like me could be in for a nasty surprise. Crying or Very sad
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be Number plate recognition unit . If you was crossing the motorway you wouldnt see all the police motorbikes queued up to chase the ones spotted because they would be on the motorway.

What did the cameras look like ?

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: M3 surprises for Garmin owners. Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
On the Camberley roundabout over the M3 with no exit or entrance to the M3 there were three small cameras facing the rear of cars below on th M3 heading for london.
The cable from the cameras trailed around the corner to a Police Speed camera van that was well hidden from the traffic passing under the cameras.
Are you 100% it was a speed camera van (was it actually marked up as such)? I've seen similar setups on the M1 many years ago, but it was simply recording the traffic flow for traffic information (and to be fair, the van was marked up as "Traffic Survey", which was alongside video cameras that had been setup up over every lane)

A single video camera at one location cannot provide enough information for a speed conviction, it would need to have some form of radar / sensors recording the speed at that point, plus the camera to capture the car's number plate. I don't believe a video camera, even with white lines on the road, is sufficient evidence for a conviction.

Having said all that, there will always be new types of cameras coming out, so I'm intrigued to see what happens. Any chance you managed to get some pictures...?
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is not really the place to bring this up, but as a Garmin user I thought I would share details here.
I do pretty high mileage and I've spoken to a few of my friends and no one else has seen this sort of set up.,
If you look at the junction on google earth it is the old london road that crosses over the M3 between junctions 3 and 4 . above the London bound lane to the left is a lot of undergrowth and the van was well hidden with rear doors open and an operative inside who appeared to be veiwing screen/screens from what I saw in a fleeting glance as even rounding the roundabout the van was well hidden.
Large type white van, may be a Transit or Movano with large speed camera logo's and what I beleive to be the Surrey police/safety camera dept marking as I see around the Surrey area on their money boxes.
I drove past Jnc 3 and could see no police activity there and as the next junction is the M25 I doubt that they would be pulling people on the motorway.
Three black cameras on Black tripods placed over each lane with cables traing around to the back of the van, I guess the cameras we about ten inches high by 7 inches wide and 4 - 5 inches thick with the lens near to top of the front 10 x 4 edge.
Sadly I had left my N73 at home so no pic's. Crying or Very sad
philRS3100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like a DVLA/ANPR set-up to detect untaxed or SORNed vehicles from your description of the cameras.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philRS3100 wrote:
Sounds more like a DVLA/ANPR set-up to detect untaxed or SORNed vehicles from your description of the cameras.

Yep. They normally have a road block or pursuit units just up the road to stop the cars they have spotted.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Yep. They normally have a road block or pursuit units just up the road to stop the cars they have spotted.
Although the Police do, there are now DVLA camera van, which definitely use little cameras mounted on tripods (I had no camera the day I saw one) which are only looking for untaxed / vehicles which should not be on the road. However, in the case I saw, the van was clearly labelled as a DVLA van, with no speed camera markings at all.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:

Large type white van, may be a Transit or Movano with large speed camera logo's and what I beleive to be the Surrey police/safety camera dept marking as I see around the Surrey area on their money boxes.
I drove past Jnc 3 and could see no police activity there and as the next junction is the M25 I doubt that they would be pulling people on the motorway.
Three black cameras on Black tripods placed over each lane with cables traing around to the back of the van, I guess the cameras we about ten inches high by 7 inches wide and 4 - 5 inches thick with the lens near to top of the front 10 x 4 edge.

I've seen a similar set-up over Junction 22 of the M25 Clockwise within the last fortnight. The camera's were not black, they were white, or on tripods, they were on the ground, so would have been almost impossible for a motorist on the M25 to see them.

I'd just assumed it was catching people speeding so didn't pay the van marking much attention, but I will in future.
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staffs Police have these on the M6 they can record your speed and numberplate and print the ticket out for you. Nice.
stevei
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
philRS3100 wrote:

If this was on the M3 during the day, I doubt if they would have enough persuit vehicles to cover all the speeders. If i go down there at 70, i am overtaken by 90% of the traffic Rolling Eyes
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inside info friend of a friend tells that this is a new speed cam opperation and to look out for the nasty letter arriving from Surrey Crying or Very sad
Definately safety cam partnership we're told.
stevei
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that there was a fairly new regulation that "Saftey Cameras" where not allowed to be hidden.
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah true, but they probably banged a sign out on the motorway before, unless there are any permanent ones. They good news is that those ones are normally set quite high.

Saying that that stretch of M3 is normally moving quickly

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: