Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poiedit cant update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poiedit cant update?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are still both stating that you use poiedit to get the pois from the website!

Neither am i!! Not sure why you think that and what part of what's been posted you think says that.

Oldboy and i have both said said you can download POIs but we've never said it can be done with POIEdit. We've both stated that POIs can be converted using POIEdit but this has is not Downloading them with POIIEdit.

I really don't understand why you persist with this unless you can show me explicitly where i said you use POIEdit to get the POIs from the website!

Quote:
All i am saying which seems to be getting played down is the fact that it really is wrong to charge for pois

I don't see why not, as a lot of work goes into the database. As has been pointed out before Garmin and TomTom charge much more for a less accurate database. Neither offer Free Lifetime Membership to their database either.

Quote:
When i reported a cam poi in leeds on the m621 t@ jct 3 heading into leeds some 3 yrs back, it never was put on the list, I never received a "life sub".

Not every camera gets in. All have to be verified. One if the Team will hopefully read this and answer your question.

Quote:
Also the updates to 2 poi's - one for land rover at ripon ( original pois was 2 miles out!)

Most POIs lists start as an automatically generated list made from the Post Codes of there locations. Hence the inaccuracy. Once people who are "out there" submit the changes it becomes more accurate.

Quote:
I even submitted some 1 year back a mobile cam in my area too which has been in the same location for the last 1yr on and off. none of these have also been added / updated.

How do you know?

Quote:
What i want to know is even though i have reported via the reporting form which is differnet i noticed now to the last time i used it ,has it not been entered?

Because all cameras are verified. Mobile cameras take longer to verify because as you know they are not always there.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt Wrote
Quote:
the reporting has nothing to do with it. we are a business and we need to make money for wages, hosting, bandwidth charges etc etc

Not to forget to cost of the jaunts to the various Expos etc wordwide.

But aside thats a worrying statement, Lets not forget that this site was built up upon a excellent forum and it was originally stated that subscription was introduced to employ a person to manage the increasing sized database which again is excellent, but is this a warning that the forum is second to the site is firstly a business and a charge is now looming for the POIs Database, I hope not, also the reporting by members has a lot to do with and I hope that nothing makes then detracts them from this.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
also the reporting by members has a lot to do with

True and the reward of a free lifetime membership is available.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
a charge is now looming for the POIs Database

if anything i've said has led you to this conclusion then it has been wrongly understood - there is no charge for the poi database, just the members area and therefore speed cams database

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a misunderstanding and not a statement, just a question but the whole quote read
Quote:
but is this a warning that the forum is second to the site is firstly a business and a charge is now looming for the POIs Database

but of course it should have read
Quote:
but is this a warning that the forum is secondary to the site and is firstly a business and a charge is now looming for the POIs Database
most people read the whole posting in its correct context.
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying things. and apologise for not coming over clearer.

It hasnt put me off using or recommending the forum and the site - as both give 110% valuable and excellent info.

In hindsight the charge you levy on poi cams is fair and i suppose better than 3 points and £60!

Regards,

Paul
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:

Not to forget to cost of the jaunts to the various Expos etc wordwide.

you mean the first-hand news reporting? the exclusive meetings with manufacturers?

or would you rather we just copied and pasted from other sites? this is far too risky as seen in last months competition - how many sites had the wrong information from the government report on galileo? go direct to the source, it's much better for correct information!

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant argue with That, It just begs the question How many Pocket GPS Team does it take to to change a light bulb?
Quote:
The PocketGPSWorld.com team will be out in Germany with Darren, Lutz, MaFt and myself.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Cant argue with That, It just begs the question How many Pocket GPS Team does it take to to change a light bulb?
Quote:
The PocketGPSWorld.com team will be out in Germany with Darren, Lutz, MaFt and myself.

i guess you've never been to cebit? there are over 30 halls about the size of manchester evening news arena! and a lot of stands to get round, a lot of meetings to get to (often at conflicting times), a lot of reporting to do, a lot of reviews to write up, photos to take and edit almost straight away - and it's a long walk to the press center which is the only place you get internet access for uploading all this stuff as it happens. this year in the 3 full days we were there we still struggled to get around just the gps stuff.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: