Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poiedit cant update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poiedit cant update?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Quote:
have you been using the speed cam files from poi edit since the charge came in?

Yes, and now i realise my error.

MaFt wrote:
Quote:
regarding updating - how frequently do you actually update them?
Well, with POI Edit it was every time I thought about it while my PDA is in its desk charger/ synchroniser. Each time it went through the list, and confirmed that it had updated files. WHen i looked a file dates, many had changed.

Bearing in mind that i have submitted 9 updates / additions to POIs, and if some others are doing so at a similar rate, the POIs should be updating far quicker.

In reality, I probably only need to update prior to any non-local trip, so perhaps 3 or 4 times a year.

However, my experience of hte accuracy of some of the original POIs leads me to believe that any time i am going to somewhere and going to rely on the POI, i need to check it first!

(I have been several miles out for National Trust and Golf Courses. The first upset SWMBO and the second nearly made me late for a tee off)
Quote:
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
You are correct fellwalker, in my case I find the optimum number is 22 in combined, you then repeat for another 22, and so on until all downloaded, then run poiedit and then append(combine) all these downloads to one file suitably renamed of course, easy isnt it, but of course a pain in the butt. If you search the forum you will find it a much discussed subject and we still have to suffer it.

As you say, this takes a long time. Last night, it took me getting on for 45 minutes to select, download, copy across. And in part that was becasue clicking hte message to "Make new selection" often froze IE7 for long enough that i wondered if it had crashed.
In Opera, it worked more quickly, so I moved to that to complete teh task.
My measure of 31 was hte max in both IE7 and Opera, so it is probably an MS Windows "feature". Computers are mostly 32-bit machines, so its one byte, whereas 32 would be two.

I didn't search the forum for problems downloading, but i did for POI Edit and found remarkably little.
Wow, Append is even more cumbersome! (I just looked it up in POIEdit)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

However, my experience of hte accuracy of some of the original POIs leads me to believe that any time i am going to somewhere and going to rely on the POI, i need to check it first!

the main advantage of the 'new' poi system is the ease that people can update the poi's using the google map. previously this was not done at all as they were 'other peoples files' that we were hosting. you'll probably find they are a lot more accurate now

MaFt
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re charging for poi's :-

I found this leaving me with a bad taste, as those poi's are mostly (i think im right in believing) put together by users and i dont just mean speed cam ones but all types. They should be freely available to all (regardless of type) - what is this world coming to when people can see a fast buck to be made from everything. Surely just having people coming to your excellent site and seeing all the vast info on gps etc and the forum should be enough. You have plenty of ad's dotted around the site which im sure bring in revenue! Charging for the poi's i feel is been greedy.javascript:emoticon('Sad')

Re updating pois :-

I update py poi's weekly and never new that things had altered or where out of date! I didnt see the message to be honest otherwise i would have said something there and then!
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
As oldboy was saying, this no longer works because we now generate the POI lists dynamically. We haven't got hold of the POIedit developer - not sure if he/she still exists.

Just saw this link http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55686 on the forum that seems to conflict with the above quote?

I emailed poiedit via the "contact" link on their site about this forum link so as they can respond to pocketgps, seeing as they "cant get hold of him"javascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')
Rolling Eyes
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefenderBLACK wrote:
re charging for poi's :- ......... Charging for the poi's i feel is been greedy.javascript:emoticon('Sad')
The POIs are freely available to both Subscribers and registered users. Rolling Eyes

DefenderBLACK wrote:
Just saw this link http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55686 on the forum that seems to conflict with the above quote?
This has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed here. Confused

That Topic is showing one method of how to convert the format of a POI File.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

the main advantage of the 'new' poi system is the ease that people can update the poi's using the google map. previously this was not done at all as they were 'other peoples files' that we were hosting. you'll probably find they are a lot more accurate now

MaFt

I'm looking forward to seeing how well tehy have been updated. So far this week i have sent two amendments - items well in the wrong place, and one deletion - of a petrol station that closed getting on for a year ago.
And to benefit from them as they are updated, we need to regularly download them.
Jim
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oldboy"]
DefenderBLACK wrote:
re charging for poi's :- ......... Charging for the poi's i feel is been greedy.javascript:emoticon('Sad')
The POIs are freely available to both Subscribers and registered users. Rolling Eyes

HANG ON - further up the thread and on your site you STATE " CAMERA POI'S ARE AVAIBLE BY PAID SUBSCRIPTION"!!
The actual wording on the site :- "Downloading the Database

To download the latest version of the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database you need to be a subcribed user. Click here to see the benefits of subscribing to our site and to complete your subscription.

If you have already paid a subscription and you still see this message then please note that some PayPal payments are classed as eCheques which, like paper cheques, can take up to 8 days to clear. To check this you can log in to your PayPal account and view the details of the payment - the chances are it's status will be 'uncleared'"

Im confused! are the camera pois FREE or do you have to PAY to get them!
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDBOY QUOTE :-
DefenderBLACK wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed here. Confused

That Topic is showing one method of how to convert the format of a POI File.[/quote]

Agree but you are also saying that poiedit is a program to use yet you ibendlin say similair :- As oldboy was saying, this no longer works because we now generate the POI lists dynamically. We haven't got hold of the POIedit developer - not sure if he/she still exists.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefenderBLACK wrote:
You didn't specify which you where talking about.

There are general POIs, which this Topic was originally discussing, and there Safety Camera POIs.

You said:
DefenderBLACK wrote:
...... and i dont just mean speed cam ones but all types.

DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
DefenderBLACK wrote:
You didn't specify which you where talking about.

There are general POIs, which this Topic was originally discussing, and there Safety Camera POIs.

You said:
DefenderBLACK wrote:
...... and i dont just mean speed cam ones but all types.

Now who been "general" !!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to Oldboy but it's late, I'm trying to follow the problems & issues discussed here and DefenderBLACK is confusing me somewhat.....

DefenderBLACK - Not sure how or where you are getting confused but here goes....

The POIs for shops, petrol stations, hospitals etc are free for anyone to use with or without subscription.

The Speed Cameras POIs can only be downloaded with a valid subscription.

As for the whole POIEdit situation, it's simple. POIEdit can no longer download the PGPSW POIs because the system has changed and POIEdit can't interface with the new PGPSW POI system.

Your comment of

Quote:

has nothing to do with what was being discussed. Oldboy mentioned in a separate thread that POIEdit can be used to convert a files format. However this had nothing to do with the downloading problems being discussed here.

I hope i have that right.

edit: for smelling and missing worms.(c) Mr R Barker
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul.

Firstly the qutoe re oldboy then im going to let that drop as its not my issue. You are still both stating that you use poiedit to get the pois from the website! DOH you have both CLEARLY stated that poiedit CAN NO LONGER BE USED to download pois from pocketgos! my argument rests on that minor point and misunderstanding!!

Getting back to the main question was why cant i download with poi edit and then subsequently from responses of pocket gps which either i missread/understood/ or missled where why charge for cam poi's when they are reported the same as any other poi. All i am saying which seems to be getting played down is the fact that it really is wrong to charge for pois - and i know some other site r following your way of charging - prices range from 10 euro to to 19 pounds for a year! End of rant.

Now in a further question re pois and im taking cover in readiness, and this is not attacking anyone but a simple question awaiting a simple answer. When i reported a cam poi in leeds on the m621 t@ jct 3 heading into leeds some 3 yrs back, it never was put on the list, I never received a "life sub". Also the updates to 2 poi's - one for land rover at ripon ( original pois was 2 miles out!) the other i cant remember now. I even submitted some 1 year back a mobile cam in my area too which has been in the same location for the last 1yr on and off. none of these have also been added / updated.
What i want to know is even though i have reported via the reporting form which is differnet i noticed now to the last time i used it ,has it not been entered?

Kind regards,

Paul
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefenderBLACK wrote:
You are still both stating that you use poiedit to get the pois from the website!
I am not saying that!

I have never used, or stated that I use, POIEdit to get POIs from anywhere. POIEdit is a standalone program that can also Modify/Convert/Edit various POI Formats, and it's what I use the program for.

As to any submissions that you may have made, I'm afraid that you would have to take that up with the Admin Team, as Moderators don't have access to those goings on.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefenderBLACK wrote:

Getting back to the main question was why cant i download with poi edit

because our download system has changed and is not compatible with poi edit.

DefenderBLACK wrote:
why charge for cam poi's when they are reported the same as any other poi.

the reporting has nothing to do with it. we are a business and we need to make money for wages, hosting, bandwidth charges etc etc.

DefenderBLACK wrote:

All i am saying which seems to be getting played down is the fact that it really is wrong to charge for pois - and i know some other site r following your way of charging - prices range from 10 euro to to 19 pounds for a year! End of rant.

if you can find a company or individual who is willing to administer a database of over 38,100 'cameras' (exact number as of today), process the 126,876 camera submissions since january 2006, develop the user interface to process and administer this data, devlop the scripts and coding required to release the data in 286 unique download formats, who will do it free of charge then we will gladly drop the charge for the speed camera pois.

as stated pois are free, it is only the speed camera files we charge for. as an extra point of interest there are 148,143 pois spread out over 37 categories and 508 subcategories - again, this is a lot of work and i can see why companies charge for them.

DefenderBLACK wrote:

When i reported a cam poi in leeds on the m621 t@ jct 3 heading into leeds some 3 yrs back, it never was put on the list, I never received a "life sub".

this was before i was around so can't comment on this. however, if you send your email address to subscriptions AT pocketgpsworld.com then i can check it against the list of those offered lifetime subs for submissions before the charge. the offer will have been sent to the address used when sending the initial submission.

DefenderBLACK wrote:

Also the updates to 2 poi's - one for land rover at ripon ( original pois was 2 miles out!) the other i cant remember now.

what about them? pois do not give free life subs - just speed cameras.

DefenderBLACK wrote:

I even submitted some 1 year back a mobile cam in my area too which has been in the same location for the last 1yr on and off. none of these have also been added / updated.

mobile cameras did not qualify for free lifetime subs until recently (10th july) and so this would not have got you lifetime subs. as to why it was not used, there could be various reasons - poor coordinates (eg in a field), poor description, submitted as wrong camera type etc. did you get a confirmation email for the submission?

DefenderBLACK wrote:

What i want to know is even though i have reported via the reporting form which is differnet i noticed now to the last time i used it ,has it not been entered?

which one is different? we regularly review the submission procedure and have added a few helpers for the camera submission such as the heading help and addition of extra camera type categories, camera type guides etc. did you use the poi submission form for speed cameras? if so then please use the one on the camera download page.

hope that helps

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: