Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 Faulty Speaker
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 Faulty Speaker
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrospek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: TomTom 720 Faulty Speaker Reply with quote

Hi all,

I bought a TomTom 720 today.. However, I'm having a problem which makes me think it may have to be returned...

When I put the volume up to 100% I get a really bad crackle from the speaker and the screen gets a bit distorted - almost as if I have an electrical fault.

Also, I fully charged the battery earlier today but the unit only lasted 40 minutes before it switched off because of low battery (I did have Bluetooth on and connected to my phone but would this reduce the battery so much ?)

I assume these faults I'm experiencing are not 'normal' ?

Thanks,
Mark
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it replaced. There seem to many reports of faults in this new model.
DylanG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine makes the horrible noise at 100% volume also. It's the amp clipping.

Does anyone have a 720 that sounds clear at 100% volume? (You'll need to turn off that dynamic volume option to be sure you're at the maximum.)
stedes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Retrospek,

I'm getting the noise from the speaker at high volumes. It doesn't sound like amp clipping to me but actually the speaker looks like it's too small to cope with that volume. I've come from a go 300 and the speaker in that one seemed twice the size. Re: battery life, I got 5 hours before the low battery sign without bluetooth on.
Not sure if i'm taking mine back...although currys would replace after having it just 2 days no questions asked i would think.
stedes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up to post above...
Been to Currys...explained problem and the guy tried the "it's the design...." excuse...didn't seem really surprised.
They didn't have anymore in stock so they rang a nearby pcworld and got me a replacement. This one's fine...full volume, no distortion at all...
retrospek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stedes wrote:
Follow up to post above...
Been to Currys...explained problem and the guy tried the "it's the design...." excuse...didn't seem really surprised.
They didn't have anymore in stock so they rang a nearby pcworld and got me a replacement. This one's fine...full volume, no distortion at all...

Which Curry's did you buy the original unit from ? I got mine from the one at Cribbs Causeway in Bristol - maybe they had a dodgy batch !
murts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got mine delivered for PCWB today, I've already filled in the online returns form.

Using hands free at max volume the speaker vibrates horendously.
On directions it only vibrates intermittently on max volume.

Not happy.
murts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on a previous post I've found it is very easily repeated.

Go into volume preferences.
Set volume to 100%
untick 'link volume to noise level'
Select 'Test'

Speaker vibrates like mad, starts vibrating at 90% upwards.

If a couple of other people would be kind enough to try this and let me know the results I'd be grateful.
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murts wrote:
based on a previous post I've found it is very easily repeated.

Go into volume preferences.
Set volume to 100%
untick 'link volume to noise level'
Select 'Test'

Speaker vibrates like mad, starts vibrating at 90% upwards.

If a couple of other people would be kind enough to try this and let me know the results I'd be grateful.

Just tried mine and no problem at all

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
hoseman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: 720 volume & voice reconition Reply with quote

Tried mine my volume & speaker are ok.
Anyone tried choosing an address by voice recognition I tried mine out. Voice recognition accepts city and street but when it comes to house number like 171 it reads it back as 171 but then says 171 and with a slight pause it adds anothoer number on the end and says 1716 and then adds another number on the end. Called TT help and played it to them while on the phone, he said that shouldn't happen took my email address and said he would get back to me. Even though I have disabled tips, a tip comes up in voice recognition and locks my 720 have to turn it off to get out of it.
Has anyone else had the same

hoseman
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has this distortion fault as well.

In fact mine had so many different faults I have sent it back for a refund.

If I get another one, then I will buy it locally, as I can see these having lots of problems.

Taking it back to a shop is less trouble then posting back to a mail order company several times and waiting for refunds or exchanges.
gunmetalgrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, when I was in Seattle, I did notice my speaker distorting as many have mentioned. I also noticed that the screen flickered as it distorted. Then I realised that the battery appeared to be low, even though my car charger was plugged into the lighter. Turned out the connection was a bit faulty and I had jiggle the plug abit until the green light indicated charging on the unit. Once the unit was receiving power, my speaker at 100% was fine and the screen no longer flickered. I'm assuming the speaker problem was due to being underpowered? Now my unit is fine at 100% volume. I too was very worried as I had only picked up the unit a few hours before hand. Are you guys having the speaker problem with a fully charged/powered unit?
murts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with technik on this one, there are currently too many faults with the unit to bother with mail order, I've got my returns number and I'm popping the unt back into PCWB this lunchtime for a refund.

Once these initial problems have been solved I'll have another look.
retrospek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my 720 all this week as I've been having to travel.. Unfortunately, things didn't get any better..

The 720 has hung on me twice during the week. The 720 has switched off when on battery low - however, it didn't warn the battery was low ! also I've still got the speaker problem but it seems to only show itself when on battery power and the power is getting low.

So anyway, I've just taken the 720 back to Curry's and got another one.. Hopefully this one will be better Confused
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now on my 3rd unit, the first one kept locking up, the second one had a problem with the speech recognition, it would struggle hearing what was being said,if you said Stroud it would list lots of cities beginning with 'L'. I think the MIC was faulty. The 3rd unit seems OK, it was useful having seen the Speech Recognition working correctly. I've now purchased my unit from Argos just incase this unit develops a faulty.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: