Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A bit of speed camera humour
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit of speed camera humour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite aside from the ability of the speed gun to register the aircraft speed, the aircraft is capable of detecting a radar lock on, even from a speed gun, the weapons and defence systems are designed detect even a very small radar and are very sensitive
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
the weapons and defence systems are designed detect even a very small radar and are very sensitive

Just had a vision of a fighter jet zooming over the UK and taking out all the Gatsos with missiles. Nice. Laughing
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Those other popular uniformed people (traffic wardens) seem to work on a commission basis these days but I see a few potential problems. For example, if a traffic officer is attending a serious accident, he/she will be unable to earn any commission for the duration of that incident

Yes, but think of all the defects there must be on all those crashed cars.......ticket heaven. Wink

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Quite aside from this, the RADAR units will only record up to a particular maximum speed. I would presume that the aircraft would have been travelling at well over 200 MPH so they gun would have probably discounted the speed as out of range and not displayed anything.

Remember the "test" they did on Top Gear? The Gatso refused to flash anything over about 160 MPH. That said, there was a biker done for 176 or thereabouts by a laser so maybe the max speed varies depending on the device type?

All this is presuming that the original Tornado vs Police story is anything but an urban legend...

I think you are right. There certainly will be a maximum speed with Gatsos and any fixed radar, as they rely on the Doppler effect. If the subject is travelling so fast that the electronics can't compute, then there will be no reading. A hand held device can pan round in the hand of the operator, but to record a Tornado going past, it would need to be close and the operator would need to be quick on the trigger. Personally I think it is a load of rubbish, but I'm open to persuasion.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Yes, but think of all the defects there must be on all those crashed cars.......ticket heaven. Wink

very true - so you would concentrate on car defects instead of trying to get traffic moving again or an injured motorist so that you could top up your salary

...and there was me thinking you were a good guy, now you're showing your true colours Wink (fluorescent green Laughing)

I think you're in a no-win situation
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
999tommo wrote:

very true - so you would concentrate on car defects instead of trying to get traffic moving again or an injured motorist so that you could top up your salary

...and there was me thinking you were a good guy, now you're showing your true colours Wink (fluorescent green Laughing)

I think you're in a no-win situation

Corrupt officers don't make for good P.R.

Just a small comparison between us and foreign Police, to let you know how lucky you are with us..........

We have a scheme in relation to antisocial behaviour by drivers, really designed to combat the street racer type. If a car is seen being driven in a socially unacceptable manner, the driver is stopped and given an ASBO warning. This means that if he/she is stopped again in similar circumstances within 12 months, either in that car or any other, their car is taken from them and they have to pay the recovery and storage fees to get it back. Even if the car they were driving on the first occasion is stopped being driven by somebody else in similar circumstances, it can be seized.

Yesterday I stopped a Polish man, driving like a loon and checks revealed this was the second time since April, so I seized his car. He was frantically trying to take his stereo, speakers, sub-woofer and various parts of trim from the car before it was towed. I asked him why and he said, in Poland if your car is taken by Police, it is completely stripped when you get it back !!

Presumably the Polish Police make up the shortfall in their wages by selling confiscated gear on Ebay Laughing

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is that even if police aren't corrupt, all the while there is a bonus scheme rather than flat salary they are likely to be suspected of it and be even more unpopular than they are already
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Quote:
Just a small comparison between us and foreign Police, to let you know how lucky you are with us..........

We have a scheme in relation to antisocial behaviour by drivers, really designed to combat the street racer type. If a car is seen being driven in a socially unacceptable manner, the driver is stopped and given an ASBO warning. This means that if he/she is stopped again in similar circumstances within 12 months, either in that car or any other, their car is taken from them and they have to pay the recovery and storage fees to get it back.

Haven't heard of this one! Shocked
Is this a Scottish law, or something i missed? Embarassed

Quote:
Even if the car they were driving on the first occasion is stopped being driven by somebody else in similar circumstances, it can be seized.

I presume that refers to the same owner but different driver, not a car sold on! Confused
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Haven't heard of this one! Shocked
Is this a Scottish law, or something i missed? Embarassed

It is a national scheme, with an entry being marked on the PNC (Police National Computer) so anyone who checks out the person or the car, will be aware of the marker, no matter what part of the country they are in.

GJF wrote:
I presume that refers to the same owner but different driver, not a car sold on! Confused

Yes, if the Police can be satisfied that the current driver was not the owner or driver at the time of thie previous incident, then instead of getting the car seized, they will just be given their first ASBO warning.

It is possible to get it wrong, so there is an appeal process to get the charges reimbursed, similar to the system operated under Section 165a of the Road Traffic Act, in respect of seizing vehicles driven without insurance or valid licence.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
under Section 165a of the Road Traffic Act

Do police officers really remember Section 123xyz of ABC Act?

If you stop somebody, do you have a 'phone a friend' or 'ask the audience' option to know exactly what to quote for a particular offence?

In a different thread you wrote:
999tommo wrote:
This scientific mumbo-jumbo from GPS_fan

and here you are impressing us all with your police mumbo-jumbo Wink

You're never too old to learn and you're never too young to teach Idea
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Do police officers really remember Section 123xyz of ABC Act?

They don't remember everything, obviously. But as a Traffic Officer, I have to remember my 'bread and butter' acts and sections. I deal with it every day after all.

I'm sure you would remember procedure names or whatever you have in your own job.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
I'm sure you would remember procedure names or whatever you have in your own job.

Yep - I write most of the procedures, so I'm rather more intimate than I'd like to be with most.

...but my memory isn't what it used to be because I don't exercise my brain as much as I once did
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
...but my memory isn't what it used to be because I don't exercise my brain as much as I once did

You don't need to exercise your brain here. Just read the forums and it's amazing what you learn..

As I keep saying......."every day is a school day" Wink

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I write most of the procedures
Aaah - Happy days!! Reminds me of why I accepted Voluntary redundancy and early retirement - all those Mission Statements and Stakeholders and Acronyms hidden under the reception desk - SAMBA = Smile And Make'em Be Appy. After I became a happy self employed whitevanman, I had a job for a while delivering computers to branches of a certain big bank. Behind the counter to help set them up, I saw the walls inside, at the cashiers desks, absolutely plastered with this sort of junk that the customers couldn't see.

I suppose Tommo has them etched on the inside of his hat brim and under his sunshade. And secret messages like calling for a PNC check on DennisN means "Give us an impressive Act, Section and Paragraph to clobber the beggar with, please." Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I suppose Tommo has them etched on the inside of his hat brim and under his sunshade. And secret messages like calling for a PNC check on DennisN means "Give us an impressive Act, Section and Paragraph to clobber the beggar with, please."

Not etched, just written in that security pen that only shows up under ultra-violet light, then the riff-raff in the back can't see my secret phrase book.. Wink

Ever been in the back seat Dennis ?

Edited for typos.... Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: