Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A bit of speed camera humour
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit of speed camera humour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that good old saying: "where's a policeman when you need one?"

We should be grateful that Tommo999 is brave enough to admit that he's "one of them" and continue to make informative contributions in the forum.

Unfortunately, the police are their own worst enemies because they have been reducing their profile on the beat and increasingly hiding behind speed cameras.

Tommo999 has, himself, said in posts that a greater number of police on the ground would be great.

According to Government spin, there are now more police officers than ever before...but where are they all because you never see them?!

I've just travelled from the south coast to the Lake District and back and only saw THREE police cars patrolling the motorway the whole time - and one of those was with a car on its side....in the good old days, there were police cars at regular intervals down the M6 etc.

The only other police were trying desperately to cause as much traffic chaos as possible at an event in the Lake District and one plod even had a camera in his hand taking photos of the Red Arrows whilst on duty.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
According to Government spin, there are now more police officers than ever before...but where are they all because you never see them?!
Behind desks Question Exclamation

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Oh dear GJF, we have had a bad day.

Just to explain my comments...... my wink was because I was making a comment which I didn't really believe. I know the 'POLICE' do not have a sense of humour. Police Officers on the other hand, have a terrific sense of humour, as it is the only way to get through a day sometimes. If we didn't laugh and make jokes, we would become mental hospital inmates.

When I said our profession was the one that everyone loves to hate, I accept that 'HATE' may be a bit strong and 'EVERYONE' was too inclusive. I too was brought up to respect authority, but it seems that this trait is becoming less and less common. Police officers do what they have to do, because it is their job to do it. Police officers get assaulted, sworn at .....etc etc, when they are trying to do their job. Traffic officers (of which I am one) get a hard time from supposed law abiding motorists, when the motorist should be angry at themselves.

Police

i just want to say that i admire your openness and honesty and go onto say i have read a lot of your comments on this site and found them to be on the whole fair and impartial, and before anyone gets at me, no i am not a copper and i have very little to do with them, but there are good ones as well as bad, but before you start to criticise the amount of police on the streets or the duties they perform question your reaction when your boss tells you to do something, which may not be in everyones best interest or the most popular thing to do, do you refuse to do it because it will make you unpopular or do you do your job and work towards improving your lot and hopefully your company by being pro-active. The trouble is we have slept walked into a dictatorship under Blair and now the unelected one, and they have excelled in blame relocation, its not the police's fault there arent enough of them on the beat but rather the politicians, and ultimatly us all for not properly taking a serious interest in local and national politics, by the way if you see a silver estate sailing past, a 'little' over the limit give me a wave Wink
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

Spin is what it must be, as even we the Police don't know where they are.

GPS_fan wrote:
I've just travelled from the south coast to the Lake District and back and only saw THREE police cars patrolling the motorway the whole time - and one of those was with a car on its side....in the good old days, there were police cars at regular intervals down the M6 etc.

Traffic officers (or Road Policing officers as we are all branded these days) have definately thinned out over the years. In my force, in the past 10 years, our Traffic Branch has almost halved. I am sure the public at large would prefer to see more Traffic police than more cameras. We need to concentrate on poor driving, the lack of valid documents and getting travelling criminals off the roads, rather than just speed.

GPS_fan wrote:
The only other police were trying desperately to cause as much traffic chaos as possible at an event in the Lake District and one plod even had a camera in his hand taking photos of the Red Arrows whilst on duty.

I hardly think the Police were 'trying' to cause chaos. We get used for all sorts of events and are usually short staffed when we do, so we have to make the best of a bad lot, but our hands are regularly tied. If we didn't try to help the public when an event was on, then the resulting chaos would be our fault too.

As for taking a photo of the Red Arrows whilst on duty. That's hardly a crime. I'm sure the traffic didn't suffer for the two seconds that took. You are a self confessed 'Eddie' spotter, have you never done that in work time ?

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
even we the Police don't know where they are.

if the police don't know where their officers are, no wonder the crooks keep getting away Wink

999tommo wrote:
As for taking a photo of the Red Arrows whilst on duty. That's hardly a crime. I'm sure the traffic didn't suffer for the two seconds that took.

I agree that taking a photo of the Red Arrows is harmless in itself - but when that officer is in the road neglecting his duties directing traffic, then the " two seconds that took" could possibly lead to an accident...so in this instance the officer should have had his mind (and eyes) on the job.

With drivers possibly being distracted and more pedestrians in the road than on the pavement it was just an accident waiting to happen and on this occasion that officer should have been concentrating on the job....in my opinion anyway

If that same officer had been on royal protection duty, would it have been OK for him to takes his eyes off the job and get his camera out? I very much doubt it.

999tommo wrote:
You are a self confessed 'Eddie' spotter, have you never done that in work time ?

...hardly, I'm stuck to a desk on a 'no through road' so we don't have too many 'Eddies' passing by Laughing ...but I know exactly what you're getting at because in a previous thread when people were slating police for using blue lights when they shouldn't I brought up the paperclip and office stationery scenario and supported the police in that instance

...and at the end of the day we both agree that there really aren't as many police officers either as there probably should be or as there used to be
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking photos of aircraft is fine IF the circumstances dictate so. The silly incident a couple of years ago was a Police officer who took a picture of a Tornado aircraft with a speed gun - the Radar was detected by the plane alerting the pilot - sheer stupidity it could have caused the loss of aircrew and an aircraft due to distraction - I guess there are idiots in all professions though - Mike
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Taking photos of aircraft is fine IF the circumstances dictate so. The silly incident a couple of years ago was a Police officer who took a picture of a Tornado aircraft with a speed gun - the Radar was detected by the plane alerting the pilot - sheer stupidity it could have caused the loss of aircrew and an aircraft due to distraction - I guess there are idiots in all professions though - Mike

In these circumstances, the cop WAS stupid. Not because the radar signal would affect the aircraft, it definately wouldn't. But because if the aircraft had primed missiles and was leaving our airspace for Iraq or wherever, it's missiles would automatically locate radar sources as targets. Result - one dead copper. Stupid Boy Pike.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that had been an American pilot, he would have probably been hit by "friendly fire"

I wouldn't have thought that a hand held radar unit would give readings high enough for a fighter, so this policeman would have been wasting his time, but somebody may correct me on that.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
...and at the end of the day we both agree that there really aren't as many police officers either as there probably should be or as there used to be

Agreed...and saddened by the fact... Crying or Very sad

999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
If that had been an American pilot, he would have probably been hit by "friendly fire"

I wouldn't have thought that a hand held radar unit would give readings high enough for a fighter, so this policeman would have been wasting his time, but somebody may correct me on that.

I would have thought not, but there again, the radar device (as it was when this incident allegedly occurred) wouldn't have picked up the speed of the plane anyway unless it was at the end of the runway as the plane took off. These old devices only had a few hundred yards of range. Hand held lasers on the other hand, have far better ranging.

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
i just want to say that i admire your openness and honesty and go onto say i have read a lot of your comments on this site and found them to be on the whole fair and impartial, and before anyone gets at me, no i am not a copper and i have very little to do with them, but there are good ones as well as bad, ....................................................................... The trouble is we have slept walked into a dictatorship under Blair and now the unelected one, and they have excelled in blame relocation, its not the police's fault there arent enough of them on the beat but rather the politicians, and ultimatly us all for not properly taking a serious interest in local and national politics........

Sorry 999tommo i haven't much time to reply due to work, but i agree with the above view, i understand that policies are laid out by others, rather than the PC on the beat.

The Government (includes others in power over the past twenty years) have fouled up big time by changing the work load to office rather than "on the street".

Quote:
......................but before you start to criticise the amount of police on the streets or the duties they perform question your reaction when your boss tells you to do something, which may not be in everyones best interest or the most popular thing to do, do you refuse to do it because it will make you unpopular or do you do your job and work towards improving your lot and hopefully your company by being pro-active................

Although this is true and the reason is understood, this is where respect has been lost, the police on the beat are becoming "robots", with often little flexibility, although this again isn't the fault of "plod" but their bosses, it is where the division between human contact and "robot" is becoming greater and where mechanical gadgets such as cameras are relied upon more and more.

Unless the police return to more human contact the situation and attitudes to the police can only get worse.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLF wrote:
Although this is true and the reason is understood, this is where respect has been lost, the police on the beat are becoming "robots", with often little flexibility, although this again isn't the fault of "plod" but their bosses, it is where the division between human contact and "robot" is becoming greater and where mechanical gadgets such as cameras are relied upon more and more.

I don't agree that we are becoming robots, but there is far more emphasis these days on budgets, best use of money and resources and other matters best kept for running a business. The Police should not be considered a business. If it has to be, then perhaps I should be considered a 'shareholder' and collect some of the cash from fixed penalty fines. You can bet your bottom dollar that officers would work their butts off then, much to the annoyance of the public at large.

As it stands, we feel as hard-done-by as the public. Trying to do all that is expected of us in a day with the limited time and resources is futile and sooner or later, something's gonna break.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
You can bet your bottom dollar that officers would work their butts off then, much to the annoyance of the public at large.

As it stands, we feel as hard-done-by as the public. Trying to do all that is expected of us in a day with the limited time and resources is futile and sooner or later, something's gonna break.

Those other popular uniformed people (traffic wardens) seem to work on a commission basis these days but I see a few potential problems. For example, if a traffic officer is attending a serious accident, he/she will be unable to earn any commission for the duration of that incident
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to post a joke, but i daren't after the last one in this thread Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
I would have thought not, but there again, the radar device (as it was when this incident allegedly occurred) wouldn't have picked up the speed of the plane anyway unless it was at the end of the runway as the plane took off. These old devices only had a few hundred yards of range. Hand held lasers on the other hand, have far better ranging.

Quite aside from this, the RADAR units will only record up to a particular maximum speed. I would presume that the aircraft would have been travelling at well over 200 MPH so they gun would have probably discounted the speed as out of range and not displayed anything.

Remember the "test" they did on Top Gear? The Gatso refused to flash anything over about 160 MPH. That said, there was a biker done for 176 or thereabouts by a laser so maybe the max speed varies depending on the device type?

All this is presuming that the original Tornado vs Police story is anything but an urban legend...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: