Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V10 of maps due soon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V10 of maps due soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrensandford wrote:
I only bought my nuvi 610 four days ago. If I'd known that the new maps were imminent, I would've waited. Maybe.

Yeah, but in the mean time you'd be lost. Wink

If the new map product is going to be called "City Navigator 2008" as suggested here, then I would guess that it's not out until early next year.

Despite what they would have you belive, there isn't that much difference in the map upgrades. The main reason to buy them would be if you want better coverage of Eastern Europe which is currently being rolled out.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the new map product is going to be called "City Navigator 2008" as suggested here, then I would guess that it's not out until early next year.

Not necessarily true. Many manufacturers release models late in one year (say 2007) and label it the next years model (2008). Happens with cars sometimes but more often with software - Symantec have already released Norton Anti Virus 2008..... Otherwise next year they sound a year out of date already...
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

The North American City Navigator 2008 has been offically available for a couple of months so I don't think your theory is necessarily correct.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
The North American City Navigator 2008 has been offically available for a couple of months so I don't think your theory is necessarily correct.

Just looking at the Garmin website and you're exactly right! Laughing Looks like they have jumped the gun a bit with their naming!

The European mapping updates have historically been available on new units from about October time and on CD in the new year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin buck up their ideas and start releasing more frequent map updates though.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin buck up their ideas and start releasing more frequent map updates though.

Or come up with a MapShare type thing....
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not so sure, it takes them quite some while to process and test the new maps, plus they seem to occasionally need new software for every product to support the new maps if the new maps contain new features too...

Quote:
Or come up with a MapShare type thing....
I can see that taking some time to develop, agree with Navteq they can do it, test and release it. Plus, don't forget TomTom needed to release new map updates for it to work (as well as new software for the SatNav units), so I suspect TomTom will have the exclusive for many many months to come on this feature.

As others have said, I would expect the new maps to be announced sometime this month, be available on some new unit stock within the next month, the update DVD to be orderable in November / December, and for it to actually ship in January....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
it takes them quite some while to process and test the new maps

That argument held water when they were selling thousands of GPS units, but now they are selling millions.....

It's time they livened up their act, TomTom will get the jump on them with more accurate and reliable maps if they don't watch out.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
It's time they livened up their act, TomTom will get the jump on them with more accurate and reliable maps if they don't watch out.
Indeed, although (in my opinion), Garmin (who use Navteq) are starting from a better position than TomTom (TeleAtlas) in terms of map quality - I see Google Maps (TeleAtlas) still does not have the A10 bypass in Hertfordshire, which opened, what, 5 years ago, whereas Garmin have had it for at least the last two map updates.

Having said that, there will always be examples of roads like this from both companies, but this one does stand out as being older than many other new roads that are in the maps despite still not appearing.
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Garmin this lunchtime about something else and they mentioned that some dealers may already have SD cards with City Navigator Europe 2008 even though it's not officially released...

There'll still be an NT and non-NT version and out on DVD at some point.

They did say that from bringing out 2008 edition effectively ends the free upgrade route so anyone buying near to changeover time it's tough but no cigar.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Garmin last week and they said that anyone buying a new unit since September would qualify for a free update
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently some units are being shipped with 2008 mapping see this post
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 660FM sept 13th from halfords and registered on the same date. Lets hope i get a free map update.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been told in an email that there would be no free updates. I'm sure in the States that they tried to bring this policy in then reversed it but did limit the update to one unit that you owned from the original two. Can't understand this as there must be thousands of units for sale out there with v9 on them, guess this is why you can now get the NUVI 250 for £100.

Tempting to go for the ViaMichelin x970T for £145 comes with traffic, europe and bluetooth, only lacks text to speech, and the maps are up to date!!

Last edited by portman on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoned Garmin after i posted to see what they said about free map updates. Sigh! Crying or Very sad They said they did not think anybody would get free updates for the new maps, but had no further info.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that my replacement 660FM shipped with Europe NT2008

Map size on Ver 9 was 1.30Gb, the NT2008 Version was 1.43GB. All other files seem to be the same as on my previous 660FM. Not noticed any differences in the mapping detail yet.

Box is identical with no version no. identifiable on the outside

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: