Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 700, Nokia N73 and network 3. connection problem.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 700, Nokia N73 and network 3. connection problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim_the_Ref
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Go 700, Nokia N73 and network 3. connection problem. Reply with quote

Don't ask me how, but some months ago I managed to get my Go700 to wirlessly connect with my N73 and use TomTom plus services. My Nokia N73 is on the 3 network which we all know is c**p, I don't have "Wireless Web" but do have X Series (which is GPRS internet connection) this has all worked fine with my Traffic updates automatically updating on-route every 15 minutes. Last week I connected to TomTom home and it "upgraded" my 700 wiping the settings, the file was the Phones List, now... for love nor money i cannot connect, 3 are useless, and TomTom have done their best (bless em!) can any one help?, It tries to start a wireless connection, gets to 60%, hangs for a bit then gets to 65% hangs again, then asks for me to manually enter settings, have entered APN = three.co.uk, User 9left blank, Password (left blank), Auto IP, Auto DNS, Dialed number *99#, Login script (left blank). The phone accesses the web OK, and I've used my PC's bluetooth connection to make an internet connection via GPRS through my mobile using above settings, and that was fine too, someone said that 3 only allow certain sites, but connecting through my PC I could go anywhere, even to TomTom's site!

Ideas anyone?
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said in your post that Three is c***

Were you talking about the network coverage, customer service or what?
And has it changed in the 18 months since your post?

I am thinking of switching to Three (for various reasons, mostly to do with the use of 3G data).
Just looking for other peoples experiences.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the three network is still "walled off" in this way you have internet connectivity but only to the places three want you to get to. I use T-Mobile, the bolt on for upto 1GB of data traffic per month is £7,50 and if you use a phone equipped with 3G hardware you will get high speed mobile internet access.
In my experiance the highspeed internet is very good, BUT it hammers the phones battery so I end up carrying a small portable external rechargable pack that I can use from time to time - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsMikeE wrote:
You said in your post that Three is c***

Were you talking about the network coverage, customer service or what?
And has it changed in the 18 months since your post?

18 months? He only posted two days ago!
Quote:
I am thinking of switching to Three (for various reasons, mostly to do with the use of 3G data).
Just looking for other peoples experiences.

I'd be very wary. 3 have some very strange ideas about what is and is not internet and you'd be well advised to check that you will get the access you expect beforehand.

Personally I'd go with T-Mobile's all you can eat data tariff's, Web'n'Walk I think it's called. No restrictions on what you can and can't access but as with all of them there is a fair usage policy even on the unlimited (why they and other ISP's are allowed to call anything 'unlimited' and then have a limit defeats me!!) tariff but it's pretty reasonable.
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
AFAIK the three network is still "walled off" in this way you have internet connectivity but only to the places three want you to get to.

According to 3 website, X-series silver and gold have unlimited internet access. Bronze is walled.
X-series is also available as an add-on.

Anyone using TT Traffic and 3?
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
18 months? He only posted two days ago!

Oops. Must have been looking at another post just before this one.

I am looking to use VOIP as well as TT Traffic and email over 3G.
Difficult to find out what is blocked and what is not.
Some of the networks only sell phones with the Nokia VOIP client nobbled.
I'll look at the T-mobile offerings.
Tim_the_Ref
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, and have been on 3's X series silver for six months. Although hard to initially get the connection to work, I did manage it and have used TomTom trafic successfully since january this year. In actual fact, I had been using it the morning it went tit's up! I logged onto TomTom Home, and it said there was an important phones update, so I installed it, that's when TomTom traffic stopped working! nothing has changed on the phone, or with my tarriff, and 3 got rid of their "walled garden" some time ago. Tom Tom have been saying all along that it should work fine, but I got an email from them last night saying it doesn't work on 3... well I've had it going for six months so it shows what their "technical dept" know! I can use my phone as a bluetooth modem too, and can go wherever I like on the internet with that connection and download whatever I like.. 3 said that wasn't possible without wireless web add on (which you can't have if you have X series) so it shows what 3's "technical dept" know too... makes me wonder where all thes so called experts come from!!!!
dazzer_69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you help me then .I now have x series silver addon on my n73 but cant set up a wireless connection on my 910 what am i doing wrong?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 3 Tarriff PDF ........

Where can I access X-Series?
All X-Series services will work when there’s video coverage
on 3’s networks in the UK or overseas and, except for Orb
and Sling, will work in our UK standard coverage as well.
When you’re online
When using the internet, you can’t use some websites
(including adult websites) and some websites aren’t
compatible with all mobiles.
Some email accounts might need a premium service
upgrade from your supplier.
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an E65 from Three with the X-series silver add-on.
It took a good few attempts, but Tomtom Traffic is now working fine with TT6 running on my WM5 PPC
Tim_the_Ref
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinks we've already ascertained Mike that TomTom works fine when loaded onto an E65, it's the only way 3 give any support to TomTom on their network, but when you try to use a standalone TomTom device, and connect to Plus services through a phones GPRS service, it's being blocked.
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have misunderstood my post.

I run TT6 on a Pocket PC, not on the E65.
I am connecting to the Plus services using bluetooth between my PPC and the E65.
I do not have TT on my E65.

I know this is not exactly the same as a standalone tomtom device, but there have been a lot of postings on this forum (and a 3G forum I looked at) which suggest that this is blocked by 3.

If it works with PPC to E65, then it would suggest to me that 3 are not blocking it.

I had an initial connection issue, where I had the TT username/password in my connection, where what I really needed was the 3 username/password for the Access Point.
Tim_the_Ref
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What username and password did you use then as 3 and TomTom suggest leaving it blank, as with the login script, the only settins needed they say are access point (three.co.uk) and the dial out number *99#

is this what you're using or something different?
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PPC I set up a bluetooth connection with my phone.
Then on my phone I authorised the PPC so that I do not have to manually accept the BT connection every time.

I then set up a "connection" on the PPC using my phone via bluetooth.
Dial out number is *99#
User, password and domain were left blank. There is nowhere to enter access point on the PPC.
Prior to blanking out the user and password I was getting an error message of something like "modem connection not found".
The TT Plus user and password were stored within the Tomtom program

There is also a setting within the PPC to select which network connection programs should use to connect to the internet, which I set to the connection above.
The Access Point is set on the phone, and is three.co.uk
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used TT with Traffic (via Three UK) over the weekend.
Lost the connection quite a few times, not something that used to happen with the Vodafone GPRS connection. Disappointing.

A couple of times I got a message from Tomtom indicating that I was trying to get traffic from a device not registered for Traffic. Waited a short while and re-connected successfully. Maybe there is a limit on separate connections within a specified time period?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: