Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WARNING - PocketGPSworld camera POIs can KILL your Nuvi!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING - PocketGPSworld camera POIs can KILL your Nuvi!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_ditton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: WARNING - PocketGPSworld camera POIs can KILL your Nuvi! Reply with quote

I just purchased a Nuvi 680 and tried to install pocketgpsworld camera POIs on my [previously working!] unit, and lo-and-behold it totally killed the unit! Even with a procedure from Garmin to flash-recover the unit Im looking at a return to manfuacturer 1 week (plus!) repair time...!

Wonderful...! (Not!!)

Apparently the problem stems from pocketgpsworld POIs having too many catagories - Garmin say they've notified Pocketgps world,
who simply blame the issue on Garmin - and refuse to impliment a fix...
(As an ex-programmer it would be trivial to group in catagories together though...). Personally I dont care who's problem it is (nor do I care which type of traffic camera Im approaching..!), but its still pocket's software that has killed an otherwise working unit..!

Any ideas how I go about getting a refund from pocketgpsworld..?
There are _no_ support contacts in here...!

many thanks!
Mark

PS Why the 680 you might say?
(I do alot of US/UK transit, and wanted the latest/greatest MSN-Direct to play with...!), it does meant I have to pick up a GMT-21 in the UK,
but thats pretty easy...
One thing I did find out from Garmin support is that the Garmin 670
has a _larger_ internal flash than the Garmin 680 (to store both the EMEA & US maps!) - not be a big issue as Nuvi 6xx has an external flash,
but still a tadd annoying...
Also No news on plans for MSN Direct in Europe...

PPS Garmin has a (Cyclops based) Traffic Camera POI system in Garmin's web-site...while it certainly more $ve and I dont know how it compares coverage-wise, they do actually support it,
and they it doesnt crash your Nuvi 660...

BE WARNED...!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark this is complete rubbish and I'm rather unhappy that you think it right to go making such accusations when there are many many happy users running our database on the Garmin.

Firstly, we have a Contact PocketGPS link on the left hand side of EVERY page of our website and a simple post here asking for help would also elicit a response so suggesting we are not contactable is untrue.

Secondly we already have a choice of Database versions with a single file option being one of them if you prefer.

Thirdly Garmin have never approached us regarding any issues with our database and as many other Garmin owners use our database on all models of Garmin including the Nuvi why would we need to fix anything? If Garmin have told you this then it is a blatant lie by a misinformed support tech and I would like further information so that I may take it up directly with them.

Garmin's DO have an issue if you load too many POIs, that is ANY POI not just ours and that's entirely an issue Garmin need to resolve. It's very poor design to allow a user to upload more POIs than a unit can support if the end result is a dead unit.

Whilst I appreciate you clearly do have a problem with your unit making unwarranted accusations and misrepresenting facts does not resolve matters. We're here to help and happy to do so.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BE WARNED...!

You were already....

From the POI Page - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

Quote:
Special Note to nuvi users: DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL MORE THAN 257 POI CATEGORIES AS THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR UNIT TO FAIL TO BOOT! It is advisable to install the POIs onto a separate SD Card so if you do have problems then you can remove the poi.gpi file from the memory card from a separate card reader.
LATEST: This issue has been resolved with version 3.90 of the firmware for nuvi 3x0 range.

Quote:
Apparently the problem stems from pocketgpsworld POIs having too many categories

Too many categories? You mean PGPSW offer you too much choice. Naughty people!!!

Edit: Just noticed mark_ditton was loading the PGPSW database. I would be handy to know which database that was and how many other POI files you loaded. The PGPSW database with the most categories comes nowhere near the 257 category limit so it can't be the database to blame on it's own. Also the database is not "software" - it doesn't "DO" anything to your hardware, it's just a list of locations. You say you are an ex-programmer then you'd know that when a program loads data the program should have some sort of check in place to ensure data integrity and quantity. If too much data is loaded it is down to the programmer to implement code to detect this and then unload the data and flash a warning or kill off the excess data. The programmer in this case is Garmin who have made no provision for cases where "too many" POIs are loaded at once. All PGPSW have done is give you information to load into your hardware. It's down to Garmin to resolve the issue of how its hardware handles loading more than 257 POI categories. This is borne out by the fact that Garmin have fixed it in the nuvi 3x0 range with a firmware upgrade.

Whilst from time to time this problem has cropped up here it is always because of the loading of too many POIs categories. Something for which Garmin must take responsibility.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
provenjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the original post be renamed
WARNING Failure to read instructions can kill your Nuvi Wink
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Blame Garmin or yourself, not this site! Reply with quote

Or perhaps " I should read what other people have been saying for months about loading too many POI's on my Nuvi before opening my mouth and blamning this site". Obviously, the word "beginner" under the name says it all!!
This was first noticed about four or five months ago as I had two Nuvi's I returned with the same problem. Garmin refused to acknowledge there was a problem for months until pressure forced them to acknowledge the fact and put out a fix. THIS site then put out a warning on here for those that bother to read the forums and then finally, Garmin put out a fix for the 310/360 Nuvi's.
This site cannot be responsible for prats who don't bother to read a round a bit. Take the matter up with Garmin, they make the flaming machine and software, not this site.
There, I've said it now. Feel better.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tar all beginners with the same brush though. Some beginners are very experienced programmers/techno nerds who happen to be beginners because they only signed up recently!

Others - well case in point above.

P
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Thirdly Garmin have never approached us regarding any issues with our database and as many other Garmin owners use our database on all models of Garmin including the Nuvi why would we need to fix anything? If Garmin have told you this then it is a blatant lie by a misinformed support tech and I would like further information so that I may take it up directly with them.

to be more accurate it was ME who did a load of testing and discovered the limit to the number of categories that could be installed onto the nuvi and I TOLD GARMIN about it!!! A few months after they had a fix for the firmware for the 3xx range of nuvi's.

the limit is about 257 categories and the most files you would have from the PGPSW uk database is 33 so you must have a lot more POIs on your unit. if you got them from our site then you should have seen the big red warning for nuvi users - what more can we do? stop offering poi downloads completely just for someone who is unable to read a warning? obviously that would be silly - hence we added the warning sharing the information I had gained and had informed Garmin about.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJSmith wrote:
Don't tar all beginners with the same brush though. Some beginners are very experienced programmers/techno nerds who happen to be beginners because they only signed up recently!

indeed, a very good point.

MaFt
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
I was not tarring all beginners with this brush, just this guy who decided to put mouth into gear before brain. We all started off as beginners so I apologise to you and any others who may have taken offence.
This is an excellent site, I don't like to see it dragged down by someone who did not bother to read simple intructions. This has been a known, and well publicised problem for months!
Doug
Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark I see the only file you have ever downloaded is the single-file version which suggests that you must have many more POIs installed than just ours if the number of POIs was the cause!

What is an 'external flash' btw or do you mean it has an SD Card slot Confused
mark_ditton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Support Feedback on NUVI issue... Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Paul,
I was not tarring all beginners with this brush, just this guy who decided to put mouth into gear before brain. We all started off as beginners so I apologise to you and any others who may have taken offence.
This is an excellent site, I don't like to see it dragged down by someone who did not bother to read simple intructions. This has been a known, and well publicised problem for months!
Doug
Smile

Thanks for the feedback- I'll take it up directly with Garmin today;
I can see both sides of the coin here now.

In an ideal world i'd like to see a warning to be aware of the Garmin issue when one's going to download for Nuvi.
(as finding it post-the-issue is'nt ideal from my perspective..),
and I'll certainly be asking from Garmin a better way of getting their unit to avoid this problem in 2 ways:-
1. Not Loading POIs when put into default mode, which would be easy fix.
2. Not allowing more than the POIs/catagories supported to load to cause the problem in the 1st place.

PS A minor site modification would be to add a Support tab on the top toolbar, which would certainly have made things easier to find...

BTW I'd certainly not have posted here in the 1st place if I'd found a good support page (and it does'nt have a link to raising issues, and suggests people 'just use the formum'-which I did..).
While searching FAQs and forums for past issues is fine,
just suggesting (paying users) only use a forum for support probably is'nt ideal...Most support systems these days include searching FAQs, forums, etc before anyone raises an issue anyway..and its easy to do HTML wise almost off-the shelf..

Forum based support & flaming users with real problems as 'Newbys' is'nt very productive imho...but if thats the way you want to run things then thats your call...(In my 2p worth as you are moving to a commercial service,
then you need to act like one as well....)

As an end-user Im not really interested in finger-pointing between vendors, Im just keen on avoiding and fixing problems in the first place...

peace!
M
New2GO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the casual passer by you displayed a great interest in finger pointing, I have to say. I'd have thought that an apology would have been in order after your initial 'all guns blazing' approach. Just my 2 cents worth.
morleymackam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who don't read in instructions is there any way of fixing it if you've installed all the POIs without sending it back to Garmin?
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
You did go in with all guns blazing. It was unnecessary really. This site is well respected for the information it gives. Else why would lots of GPS retailers point customers in this direction for speed cameras and POI information.
I was a bit harsh but this problem of too many POI's and the warnings has been on here for months.
The problem, as I said before, is Garmin's and theirs alone. I returned two 660's to them and they never said a word. Others have just had theirs exchanged without a word. They must have thought "what's going on here" you would have thought but obviously not.
Perhaps an apology to MaFt and Darren might be a good idea. You said some pretty damning things in your first post.
Doug

Last edited by dougproctor on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morleymackam wrote:
For those of us who don't read in instructions is there any way of fixing it if you've installed all the POIs without sending it back to Garmin?

when i was researching the issues i was actually sent a file from garmin that reloaded the original firmware onto the nuvi 360. these files were specific to the model eg 300, 310, 350, 360, 660, 670 etc.

once installed you had to restart the nuvi, say 'no' to updating the firmware and once loaded connect via usb and delete the Garmin/poi.gpi file. then you could restart and update firmware again.

the latest firmware for the 3xx series fixes this issue but i'm nt sure if the newer 6xx firmware does...

you could try ringing garmin for free on 0808 238 0000

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: