Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - total UK road coverage in 92 MB??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

total UK road coverage in 92 MB??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twisted-pixel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: total UK road coverage in 92 MB?? Reply with quote

hi all,

I'm just about to..well..maybe in the next few days, buy tomtom Nav 2 for the UK, for my iPAQ 2210.

It's going to be replacing my in-car satnav system, (an aftermarket blaupunkt travelpilot)

The car system I have has a CD-rom containing all the roads in the UK..it's about 500MB in total (including all the POI which is extensive..petrol stations, hotels, train stations, post offices etc etc etc etc )

does the tomtom have every road in the UK??...if so..in 90 odd MB??..

I'm a sales manager and drive all over the UK every week, so really need something that has ALL the uk roads (or as near as possible). I don't need the POI so much, just the roads.

thanks for your replies
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 92MB map for Great Britain covers all the roads and tons of POIs. The map data (supplied by Tele Atlas) for TomTom 2.xx dates from December 2002, so don't expect to find the new housing development that was built a few months ago! From going through the forums here, a new version of TomTom might be expected/wished for around Aprill 2004 (if they stick to past timeframes), and would incorporate map data from December 2003.
twisted-pixel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another site (while trawling through hundreds looking for info) that there might be a tomtom 3 out in the next few months. Which might even do postcodes!!

is this likely to be a whole new kit?..or just new software which I can upgrade to?

I don't want to spend 250 quid on something that will be obsolete in 5 months.
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like Navigator 1 to Navigator 2, where the maps are not interchangeable, I would say that version 3 would be a "whole new kit" as you say. TomTom should provide some sort of upgrade path for recent purchaser of version 2, but that's up to them. And without any definite release date announced, it's all speculations.
Maybe Dave has more/better input, or you could always try emailing TomTom directly and ask about upgrade pricing to their next release.
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify something...
I've just read your other post about you buying a complete kit (including PDA+GPS+software), and thought that I should clarify that by "whole new kit" I only meant software, as in version 3 would be a paid upgrade as opposed to a free update. So whatever PDA and GPS you buy, those won't be obsolete.
martymouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought TTN2 as my christmas present to myself. I was a little disappointed in the currency of the maps - my own house is in a field (apparently), but overall pretty damn good.

I am however surprised that TomTom haven't extended their business model to issue map updates as frequently as they can and we all pay a small fee each time (and we would!).

It's a bit like buying an inkjet printer nowadays (or a mobile phone) - the cartridges/cards are what really generates the revenue.

If there is an update in the offing then I'll watch with interest. Experience says that the first release is to adopted only by those with the skill and the time to unravel it (sad but true).

But if they offer me a map upgrade, then I'll be there.
NickE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martymouse wrote:
If there is an update in the offing then I'll watch with interest. Experience says that the first release is to adopted only by those with the skill and the time to unravel it (sad but true).

But if they offer me a map upgrade, then I'll be there.

Remember that we're already on version 2, which was a big improvement on version 1.5 which in turn was an improvement on version 1! In my opinion, there's not much unravelling to be done on the current version, release 3 can only make things even better but usability is so good in this version that if we stayed as we are but got newer maps, I'd be very happy.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickE - I agree with you, sort of.

Version 2 is a good, stable and usable piece of software, but it is still a little bizarre here and there - we are just used to these oddities.

Casting my mind back a year and a half to when I was a TTNewbie, I did remember how strange the design was in some aspects. These feelings didn't resolve themselves when I got to know the software - I just got used to them. Thing is, I can't properly remember them now!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: