Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My Tom Tom 6 software doesn't have full postcode search.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My Tom Tom 6 software doesn't have full postcode search.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMurdoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: My Tom Tom 6 software doesn't have full postcode search. Reply with quote

My Tom Tom navigator 6 software doesn't have full postcode search. Can I download it from somewhere? I installed it on my XDA orbit, and although I had a problem with the voices, these have to be copied to the voices folder in the program files of the the device for some reason! I had Tom Tom 5.21 on my XDA which DID have full post code search, but this one will only search the first 3 characters! Can anyone help??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, is there a folder called zip in the root of the memory card? - if so the GB postcode file should be within it.

Are you selecting the correct method to get at the postcode entry screen as things have slightly changed between vs5 and vs6
Navigate To/ Address/ Postcode. - Mike
astyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found in V5 I needed an empty folder called TomTom on the route of the memory card in addition to the Zip folder before the Postcode lookup worked - not sure if this is still the case in TTN 6.
MadMurdoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, there is a file a called zip on the root directory of my storage card, and there is a post code file in it too. However, there is a smaller file of the similar name, along with one for the Netherlands as well. This also has a smaller file of similar name to its larger brother! I'll try deleting these other ones and let you know how I get on, thanks for the tip anyway.
Dave Murdoch
MadMurdoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to astyy Reply with quote

Hi astyy, if deleting those other files doesn't work, I'll try that and let you know. Cheers.

Dave (Mad) Murdoch
stokefan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

I'm having the same problem, although i've followed the guide on the TomTom site to no avail, the postcode search still doesn't work.

I also have an issue with the voices not appearing as I've seen in http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=53180&highlight=orbit+postcode this thread.

I've followed the advice to put the zip directory in the root of the storage card and it still won't use the full postcode search.

Can anyone help please?
MadMurdoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply to Stoke fan Reply with quote

When you installed the software, did it ask you to whether you wanted to install it to the storage card or the device (to the device was the default on mine, and the user guide recommended it that way)?
If you installed it to the device, then I found that I had to copy the VOICES folder AND the ZIP folder containing the post code info, to the Tomtom folder located in the program files folder on the device itself.
Let me know if it worked (I assume you have installed tomtom navigator 6!)
stokefan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insteresting update for you, I installed everything to a storage card and I assumed the installation had screwed up some paths somewhere along the line.

How i fixed it was to copy the Voices and zip folders to \Windows Mobile Device\Program Files\Navigator

I'm happy now!!!! (Apart from the fact its taking up my internal storage which is precious)
viivii
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Full Post Code Search Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not sure if this would help any body but just in case it would:
I use an iPaq 3630 with CF expansion pack.

I have my Great_Britain.Postal file stored under the Zip folder in the root directory of my storage card,

I could not get the TomTom Navigator 5 to search full postcode even when I have chosen the navigate to Postcode option instead of selectng Address.

I followed the forum advice and created an empty Tomtom directory in the root directory of my storage card but the program still could not see the postcode file.

I tried switching on and off the TomTom program as well as the unit itself but the program still won't work with full post code.

I then reset the unit using the reset switch and the full post code function appears magically when navigating to postcode is being selected.
EFFUL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Hi,
I had exactly the same problems with both the Post Codes and the voices. Initially I solved the problem by transfering the Voice and Post Code files to the IPAQ memory but ended up using up all the internal memory. The answer is to install Tom Tom 6 from the SD card so it looks for the files from that location.
bullbrand
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stokefan wrote:

How i fixed it was to copy the Voices and zip folders to \Windows Mobile Device\Program Files\Navigator

this worked for me too but takes the 9meg up internal mem now so will use it till i find a beter option .
but thanks for the tip .
jcjeffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem and also moved Voices & Zip to the Navigator directory but it was using up lots of very valuable memory. I later found a "voices" directory under "ROM Storage" which means TomTom searches that area. As there was over 30Meg free on my device I moved the Voices and Zip there and Tom Tom found them and everything still worked ok. An added advantage is that they dont disapear if the battery goes flat or after a hard reset.

That was with TomTom installed in a subdirectory on the Storage Card because I had other GPS software. When I upgraded the software I formatted the card and installed TomTom in the root of the card and everything worked ok without having to move the voices and zip directories elsewhere. I dont know whether installing in the root of the card or upgrading the software cured the problem

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: