Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorcyclists 'Escape'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcyclists 'Escape'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FazerUK wrote:
Its got nothing to do with bikers, its more to do with kids 17 to 25, whether its a car or bike they ride or drive too fast full stop.

But fool class all bikers the same because some kids ride too fast, so there all to blame, these same kids drive mad but never see all motorist getting classed the same, as they do with bikers

I don't know where you get your stats from ? I have been involved at several fatal and serious accidents involving motorcyclists. Only one of these was in the age group you mentioned. None of the other drivers involved were in the age group you mentioned. A majority of the deceased motor cyclists made errors on left hand bends (which is an extremely common way for motorcyclists to die) without other motorists being involved.

I think you are confused with motorcyclists being killed or injured in built up areas, where the boy (or girl) racer generally lives. On open roads, the majority of bikers are killed by themselves due to poor judgement or poor skill levels.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been involved at several fatal and serious accidents involving motorcyclists.
Without knowing the percentage of riders under or over 25 years of age it's difficult to make a judgement. If say 75% of bikers are over 25 then statistcally they are three times more likely to be involved in an accident. However, if the under 25 account for 75% of bikers then the one you came across, in the several, would indicate they are safer drivers.

It all really comes down to vunerability, if two cars collide, or one goes off the road then, according to the speed they were travelling at, could well walk away unscathed. Poor ol' biker does the same and he knows it.

Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop which causes the damage. :P
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
I have been involved at several fatal and serious accidents involving motorcyclists.
Without knowing the percentage of riders under or over 25 years of age it's difficult to make a judgement. If say 75% of bikers are over 25 then statistcally they are three times more likely to be involved in an accident. However, if the under 25 account for 75% of bikers then the one you came across, in the several, would indicate they are safer drivers.

It all really comes down to vunerability, if two cars collide, or one goes off the road then, according to the speed they were travelling at, could well walk away unscathed. Poor ol' biker does the same and he knows it.

Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop which causes the damage. :P

You are quite correct. Stats can be made to read whatever you want them to, depending on what numbers you use. The bottom line is that motorcyclists are, for a number of reasons, in a more vulnerable position than the average road user. Yes we need to educate motorists about the vulnerability of bikers, but we also need to educate bikers to look after themselves and be more aware of deficiencies in others.

Road safety applies to us all.

classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say this is one of the best threads I have read in my short time of visiting this great site.

Great debate fellas, keep it up :D

P.S. I do have my own views on the matter of bikers, not all bikers as mentioned before, just a certain type, but I think it best to keep them to myself Wink Laughing Laughing

P.P.S On the way back from Amsterdam yesterday a convoy of fully patched up 'Belgium hells angels' came by on the motorway heading towards Ostend, and to be honest the 'angels' on the Honda Visions spoilt the moment somehow !!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

To old to die young.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:

P.P.S On the way back from Amsterdam yesterday a convoy of fully patched up 'Belgium hells angels' came by on the motorway heading towards Ostend, and to be honest the 'angels' on the Honda Visions spoilt the moment somehow !!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

They are becoming quite common on the continent. I know what you mean though....they don't give the 'hard as nails' image that a pack of Harleys can.

FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
FazerUK wrote:
Its got nothing to do with bikers, its more to do with kids 17 to 25, whether its a car or bike they ride or drive too fast full stop.

But fool class all bikers the same because some kids ride too fast, so there all to blame, these same kids drive mad but never see all motorist getting classed the same, as they do with bikers

I don't know where you get your stats from ? I have been involved at several fatal and serious accidents involving motorcyclists. Only one of these was in the age group you mentioned. None of the other drivers involved were in the age group you mentioned. A majority of the deceased motor cyclists made errors on left hand bends (which is an extremely common way for motorcyclists to die) without other motorists being involved.

I think you are confused with motorcyclists being killed or injured in built up areas, where the boy (or girl) racer generally lives. On open roads, the majority of bikers are killed by themselves due to poor judgement or poor skill levels.

I do live in a built up area Liverpool, and that what I getting my stats from. what I have seen myself.

I do know what you mean about turning left as if your not careful you end up on the other side of the road, when that happened to me I been lucky no one been there, but that also happens when your in a car.

I ride my bike in built up areas mostly and every day, car and van pull out on me, as if might is right and 4X4 drivers are bad for driving like that.

I find that riding the motorcycle your paying more attention to what happening around you, them when your driving a car, so myself I think motorcycle rider are a lot better on the road then just car and van drivers as a whole
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
P.S. I do have my own views on the matter of bikers, not all bikers as mentioned before, just a certain type, but I think it best to keep them to myself Wink Laughing Laughing

That's all right mate, I have my views about bus drivers too. Wink
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, here we go again.....

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

IT'S A COACH!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
classy56 wrote:

So do I, some of them are diabolical and shouldn't be on the road let alone driving busses.

Coach drivers however are the shining light of good driving which you should all be aspiring to emulate Laughing Wink

Above edited to point out French/Dutch/Belgian/German and Polish coach drivers are not included.

To old to die young.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe it!!! Here I am a zillion miles away in Corfu and you lot are still flogging the poor bikers to death.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
and you lot are still flogging the poor bikers to death.

Now that is one event I could sell tickets to Laughing Laughing

To old to die young.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
Getting inside a suntan and outside an Amstel and a gyros.

On the outside i was burnt and on the inside there was an ugly brawl breaking out in my stomach between the pork gyros and the Amstel.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I don't believe it!!! Here I am a zillion miles away in Corfu and you lot are still flogging the poor bikers to death.

Dennis, Dennis....you poor thing. A zillion miles away and you still want to read this..........it must be raining, surely. Crying or Very sad

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I hope you got a cheap flight to Corfu if all you're doing is reading this Laughing

Which GPS did you use to measure Corfu as a zillion miles from sunny Bristol?

Did 'Scotty' beam you up or how did you travel so far so quickly? ...I know, you're a "White Van Man" Exclamation Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: