Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorcyclists 'Escape'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcyclists 'Escape'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took my driving test xx years ago, the examiner who tested me walked behind the car as I was reversing into a parking space (not a clever move, especially when a car has L plates!) - is this behaviour the reason why they wear high-visibility vests these days Question Laughing

If he'd failed me, my feet might have slipped on the pedals afterwards Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
You forgot the favourite rural pet hate, horses. Laughing
When we come across a horse, Vera now has learned my mantra and says it for me (but doesn't approve of my saying it) - "Get your ***** horse off the ***** road and into a ***** field and don't ***** give me a ***** wave of thanks because I don't like ***** horses and if you can't control the ***** animal without me slowing down, you shouldn't be on the ***** road with it!"
Yes, GPS_fan it really is all the other ***** drivers who cause me such grief.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is someone interested that motorcycles may Escape,

The camera that take your photo from behind, I don't know anyone in a car that been done that way since, all you got to do is get two people that says they can't remember who was driving at the time, it was me or him and up to now Everyone that said this has got away with it.
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FazerUK wrote:
Why is someone interested that motorcycles may Escape,

The principle of the camera system is to slow people down. And as much as we all don't appreciate being caught by a camera, any system to slow, catch, or remove serial speeders from our roads is always welcome. Motorcyclist don't just get involved in accidents, they do occasionally cause them too.

Motorcyclist are among the fastest and the the most vulnerable road users and therfore the most important to educate. With somthing so inconspicuous and yet so fast, if like you they have learnd that by riding a motorcycle you can get away with it then I'm sure we'll be scraping you of a road need us soon! Evil or Very Mad

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's great. mostdom is telling us that motorcycles are dangerous now. Rolling Eyes

If people have a problem with bikes then that's fine, we're not the most lovable road users out there but don't go thinking we can do what we like with impunity because it isn't true.

The vast majority of cameras are REAR FACING. Furthermore, most bikers wear distinctive protective gear and don't let other people ride their machines so we can't claim that we "can't remember" who was riding and get away with being photographed as car drivers do.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Oh, that's great. mostdom is telling us that motorcycles are dangerous now.

They ARE dangerous. Mostdom is not saying that all motorcyclists ride dangerously. He is saying thay that by their very nature they place the rider in an abnormally high position of vulnerability than the average car or van driver. Therefore any effrorts to reduce the speed of motorists (bikers included) should be welcomed by bikers as it reduces the chances of them being seriously injured or killed.

I love my job, but hate the bit when I have to knock someone's door to tell them their loved one is not coming home any more. If people stopped harping on about the cameras curtailing their freedom and thought about the bigger picture instead, far fewer people would be killed due to excessive speed and there simply wouldn't be the need for cameras.

As it is, folk can't be trusted to drive sensibly, so they have to have restrictions imposed upon them.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
They ARE dangerous....Therefore any effrorts to reduce the speed of motorists (bikers included) should be welcomed by bikers as it reduces the chances of them being seriously injured or killed.

The majority of bike crashes happen because the biker misjudged a corner (single vehicle accident and often within the speed limit) or the other vehicle either didn't see the bike or misjudged the situation. Sure, there are a hard core of idiots on bikes but speed cameras are unlikely to make a difference to them either.

999tommo wrote:
If people stopped harping on about the cameras curtailing their freedom and thought about the bigger picture instead, far fewer people would be killed due to excessive speed and there simply wouldn't be the need for cameras.

It's your job to enforce the law and I respect this, so I guess you will find it difficult to see our point of view but the bigger picture is that the overall number of road deaths has not gone down since speed cameras were introduced and that Britain have some of the safest roads in the world. Speed cameras have generated a lot of revenue so perhaps you can see why people are suspicious of them.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
The majority of bike crashes happen because the biker misjudged a corner (single vehicle accident and often within the speed limit) or the other vehicle either didn't see the bike or misjudged the situation.

Therefore bikes are dangerous ! Please don't get me wrong. I am an ex-biker and don't want to suggest bikes should be banned.

Skippy wrote:
It's your job to enforce the law and I respect this, so I guess you will find it difficult to see our point of view but the bigger picture is that the overall number of road deaths has not gone down since speed cameras were introduced and that Britain have some of the safest roads in the world. Speed cameras have generated a lot of revenue so perhaps you can see why people are suspicious of them.

It is a fact that a large proportion of serious / fatal accidents involve excessive or inappropriate speed for the conditions. If motorists (be it on two, four or whatever number of wheels) did not exceed the speed limit, or did not drive at inappropriate speed, the number of road deaths would reduce. Not only that but the number of people caught speeding would reduce and therefore the amount of revenue generated would be reduced.

I know it seems a simplistic response but it is factual.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
If people have a problem with bikes then that's fine, we're not the most lovable road users out there but don't go thinking we can do what we like with impunity because it isn't true.

I don't have a problem with bikes and in contrast enjoy everything about them. On the otherhand I do have a problem with the select group of bikers which as discribed earlier in this thread exceed the limits of thier machines and possably thier own skills.

I do not want to be involved in an incident where a speeding cyclist crashes into me, however if a get away with it mentality starts to creep into this motorcycling group, I will start to feel more and more vulnerable myself. Sad

Imagine a forward facing camera in a 30 or 40 limit, and a car pulling out of a reletivly blind situation, be it parked cars, or a bend, then a motorcyclist believing he/she can blast through that camera becomes a very big hazard, not the car!

If motorcyclists and indeed car drivers wish to drive fast then by all means with my blessings, but choose those times wisely. As tommo said, untill we all behave ourselves, expect a camera or policeman on every corner. Confused

FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Liverpool and only see crashes with bike, were the cars pulled out of a side road and not seen the bike at all, not speeding just the car thinking might is right.

If you want to ride a fast bike you have to take your DAS, but any fool and pass the car test in a 1000cc car then drive any cc THIS IS WRONG

Also when do you see police pulling a load of motorist driving into wales just to do checks and keep them there from 20 minutes to one hour, as this happens to bikers all the time. There loads more crap bikers have to put up with, just because they ride a bike

I believe if everyone had to pass there bike test before they can drive a car, the roads would be a lot safer.

PS I am a volvo driver Laughing Out Loud
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FazerUK wrote:
I live in Liverpool and only see crashes with bike, were the cars pulled out of a side road and not seen the bike at all, not speeding just the car thinking might is right.

If you want to ride a fast bike you have to take your DAS, but any fool and pass the car test in a 1000cc car then drive any cc THIS IS WRONG

Also when do you see police pulling a load of motorist driving into wales just to do checks and keep them there from 20 minutes to one hour, as this happens to bikers all the time. There loads more crap bikers have to put up with, just because they ride a bike

I believe if everyone had to pass there bike test before they can drive a car, the roads would be a lot safer.

PS I am a volvo driver Laughing Out Loud

If you only see bike accidents such as you describe, I think it's fair to say you don't see them all.

And you don't have to pass your Direct Access to ride a fast bike, either.

I passed my Direct Access in 1999 and have toured all over England and Wales and also through France, Holland, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Spain and Portugal. Touchwood, I have never been pulled by the Police for anything. That's not to say I've never done anything wrong; I've just done stuff where it's unlikely to attract attention.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FazerUK wrote:
There loads more crap bikers have to put up with, just because they ride a bike

You said it. Crap Bikers !! The good ones don't get hassle. Wink

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tend to agree with you on this point, however it appears to me that many of those on two wheels should have to pass their test on a 1000cc bike, they would then realise what a real bike can do and maybe drive more carefully on their 50 or 100cc bikes. To me they are the worst of the lot, most bikers over about 25 years of age and with a decent bike seem to drive quite well, considering some of the stuff they have to put up with with some motorists.
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got nothing to do with bikers, its more to do with kids 17 to 25, whether its a car or bike they ride or drive too fast full stop.

But fool class all bikers the same because some kids ride too fast, so there all to blame, these same kids drive mad but never see all motorist getting classed the same, as they do with bikers
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine how someone could class bikers all the same. it's the shinny leather stuff, makes you all look like spacemen. Then there's the zz top beards, no hang on thats a different group. And what do you keep in the pizza box, oh that's another group again. Smile

Oh i've been a fool all these years for branding all bikers with the same handlebars! Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: