Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorcyclists 'Escape'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcyclists 'Escape'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Motorcyclists 'Escape' Reply with quote

With a increase in the number of front-facing speed cameras, speeding motorcyclists are getting away with it because the vast majority of motorbikes do NOT have a front number plate.

At least with GATSO and other rear-facing cameras, these bikers get clocked as well.

Is it fair, then, that motorcyclists are escaping points and fines when other motorists continue to be prosecuted Question Twisted Evil

If the purpose of these cameras is 'safety', then surely a speeding motorcyclist is also a danger and/or at danger.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same goes with cars and lorries with cloned plates.

Simple answer. Scrap cameras, get real police out there.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was discussed on BBC News last Saturday morning, one option under consideration is to make it compulsory to fit a device to the bike to transmit the owner information which a new style of camera could record (probably an addition to existing cameras would be possible as well so they can capture the details) - not good news if you break the rules and ride a bike.
The same device could also be fitted to cars at some future point in an attemt to alleviate the "number plate clone" problem that is sweeping both the UK and parts of Europe -Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT says you clone the plates and then disable the transmitter? Who or what is going to stop you then?
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005

'But What If' can be applied to any situation. There is no foolproof method of preventing people speeding, or preventing fatal accidents.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but what is being done about "cloned" plates?

I feel this is now one of the more alarming issues today, as looking for the "appropiate" car, (Model, colour etc) taking down the reg' number and getting plates made seems to be easy as buying a cake.

Shouldn't something be done about the ease number plates can be made?
How expensive is it to add a transmitter?
Or are we back to "big brother" and his blackbox, to get around this problem?

Bigger question -
Has anyone got the desire to do anything about it?

Meanwhile there is a lot of explaining to do if you get nicked for speeding etc, in an area, you have never even been.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can't make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious" Murphy's Law

This thread seems to have got more deep and meaningful than I'd expected.

My original post was as much an observation as anything because the powers that be seem to be moving more in favour of the front view camera in order that the "photographic evidence" shows the driver's face. However, with motorcyclists, they not only don't have a front number plate but the rider's face is obscured by their helmet.

Even if we're all micro-chipped for ID purposes, would that prove that a person in the car was the driver or just a passenger? The sensor would surely detect all micro-chips

Unfortunately, we live in the real world rather than an ideal world and "life's a beach" Confused Wink
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Quote:
This thread seems to have got more deep and meaningful than I'd expected.

OK, if you don't want me to side track and be "deep and meaningful", lets keep light hearted and give your opinion of a motorcyclist with NO REAR NUMBER PLATE.

Obviously front number plates are not the only issue, it was worth this rider removing the rear plates for some fun!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'But What If' can be applied to any situation. There is no foolproof method of preventing people speeding, or preventing fatal accidents.

As the article above shows the presence of a real police patrol can catch these people. Automated systems don't. IF speeding is so dangerous why don't they post patrols to stop them AT THE TIME of the offense?
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This boy Jesty is obviously a doughball. If you wear distinctive leathers and have a distinctive bike, you will be noticed, even if you do nothing wrong. When you do do wrong, someone will remember you.

Obviously pratts like this will never be erradicated completely, but will hopefully get what's coming to them eventually.

As for Police Patrols being in the area of the speeding offences, well that would be simple. All we need are about 1,000,000 extra cops. Wink

Yes it would be great to put Police in the right place at the right time, but there are tens of thousands of places throughout the UK. Which one should we be at ?

999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Slightly off topic, but what is being done about "cloned" plates?

I feel this is now one of the more alarming issues today, as looking for the "appropiate" car, (Model, colour etc) taking down the reg' number and getting plates made seems to be easy as buying a cake.

Shouldn't something be done about the ease number plates can be made?
How expensive is it to add a transmitter?
Or are we back to "big brother" and his blackbox, to get around this problem?

Bigger question -
Has anyone got the desire to do anything about it?

Meanwhile there is a lot of explaining to do if you get nicked for speeding etc, in an area, you have never even been.

Unfortunately, every piece of legislation which is brought in to attempt to combat crime, gets people thinking "how can i get round this". You will never prevent cloned plates. It is getting more and more difficult to have a plate made, but what's to stop someone cutting a piece of perspex and sticking numbers and letters available from any DIY store onto it ? How do you prevent that ?

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, every piece of legislation which is brought in to attempt to combat crime, gets people thinking "how can i get round this". You will never prevent cloned plates. It is getting more and more difficult to have a plate made, but what's to stop someone cutting a piece of perspex and sticking numbers and letters available from any DIY store onto it ? How do you prevent that ?

Decent moulded alloy number plates as in Germany and other European countries.

It wouldn’t take much to have a more updated version with (for instance) the car VIN number on a chip inside the plate *, this chip could be “paired” with a similar chip inside the car left by the manufacturer, maybe emitting a signal if not “paired”.

There is already a national database held by garages, whenever I require car part’s I just give my registration number and they hold all the info on my car.

I’m sure, that if the will was there, it wouldn’t take a lot to put into operation, the same “chip” could be read by the police on a chase, whether by road or air and they would know all about the vehicle before they see it.

As in Europe, this plate could be part of the vehicle road tax system, ** so instead of buying a silly piece of paper to put in the window, it’s all in the plate and easier to read on cameras, so reducing road tax invaders.

I don’t like (or even wish) to extend this into “blackboxes” but the number plate variation would be a lot cheaper and cause a lot less controversy regarding the public, but it takes forward a large step into eliminating “plate cloning” and road tax evasion, which is now getting out of hand.

* If not paired, could stop engine from working.
**Also include Insurance and MOT.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Decent moulded alloy number plates as in Germany and other European countries.

Yes, however this could not be imposed on older vehicles and could only be made legal on new cars. How many new car reg's are used for illegal purposes, petrol drive off's for example.

I'm not meaning to put you down. Your idea has some merit, but it will be many years before it has any impact.

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Quote:
I'm not meaning to put you down. Your idea has some merit, but it will be many years before it has any impact.

8O Oh well, just a thought Embarassed

Quote:
How many new car reg's are used for illegal purposes, petrol drive off's for example.

I did that once, I was so stressed out with work I filled up and drove out of a BP garage, forgetting to pay. When i suddenly "remembered" (about 30 minutes later) i returned back to the garage, by now it was about one hour later - offering the money, expecting the police to jump out the woodwork, they looked at me surprised and hadn't even noticed i was missing.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
All we need are about 1,000,000 extra cops. Wink

Is this just for crime-ridden Scotland or does the rest of the UK get a share of these extra officers as well? Wink Laughing

I think that you and I have agreed from the start that extra traffic officers will help reduce motoring offences but what would be a realistic number?

...the only way to erradicate traffic offences would be to have an officer sitting in every car, truck or pillion on every bike - on second thoughts, bikers on L plates can't carry pillions so having a traffic officer on board would be an offence in itself.

Coming back slightly more on topic, if my plate was cloned, how easy would it be to demonstrate that it was neither my car nor me driving? The problem is that generally, it's an "innocent until proven guilty" approach although with motoring offences, it seems to be more of a "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy and proving your innocence is not necessarily all that easy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: