Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 610t poi problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 610t poi problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekky001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: nuvi 610t poi problems Reply with quote

Hi.
I have just purchased the Garminm 610T and tried all kinds to get the poi's to be seen. I have followed instuctions copied them to the memory card no joy copied them to the garmin unit poi still no joy they are just not dispalying on the map.
Any idea's or an email on exactly where i have to put the poi's or if i have to convert them would be greatly appreciated
Paul
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your Device but did you use the Instructions as shown HERE.

Although it was written with the Camera database in mind, I think it applies to all POIs being loaded by the POI Loader .

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tekky001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for reply. Tried it again.
The only thing i didnt do was add them all at same time, thought this might of been problem but still no joy.
Scratching my head again now.
When i connect garmin to pc i can see all folders including poi and the files are there its just they dont show on the unit when you drive past them.
one of the main ones i wanted to use was lpg filling stations. I have the files there but it wont show them at all Laughing Out Loud
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I'll move it to what might be a better Forum.

Hopefully someone who knows the answer will come along. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tekky001 wrote:
Hi
The only thing i didnt do was add them all at same time, thought this might of been problem but still no joy.

How are you doing the copying? You need to use Garmin poiloader.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tekky001 wrote:
Hi
Thanks for reply. Tried it again.
Scratching my head again now.
When i connect garmin to pc i can see all folders including poi and the files are there its just they dont show on the unit when you drive past them.
one of the main ones i wanted to use was lpg filling stations. I have the files there but it wont show them at all Laughing Out Loud

Let's go through it stage by stage. (Apologies if your are familiar with this)

Get all your POIs into one folder on your PC. They can be in .gpx format or .csv format (GARMIN format as downloaded from these forums) ALSO they MUST have an associated bitmap with EXACTLY the same name (with a .bmp extension) otherwise you get a greyish blob displayed on the nuvi.

Connect nuvi to PC with the GARMIN cable, turn nuvi on and wait for it to connect to PC

Start the GARMIN POILoader software (make sure you have the latest version 2.4.1 at time of writing).

Select nuvi - if it doesn't automatically select correct device

Point it at the folder on your PC where you have ALL your POIs and .bmp files, select units as you want (feet/mph) and set express mode.

Wait - it can take a while with lots of POIs - just leave it alone.

POILoader will tell you how many POIs it has loaded into your unit.

All these POIs appear as one file (POI.gpx) on your nuvi.

Disconnect your nuvi and start it up in normal mode.

Get a fix and try to navigate to EXTRAS / Custom POIs. You should get a list of headings corresponding to the different POI files you have on your PC. Select one and it will give you a list of POI's ordered nearest to your location. Select one and it should offer you the option to display it on the map - check that it displays correctly (i.e icon is what you expect).

Right - now to what is possibly the problem here :D

When displaying a map (2D or 3D) the default settings DON'T display POIs. This is because they are zoomed out too far to be displayed. If you select 2D mode and zoom in enough you will get the icons displayed.

Icons will only pop up when driving if you have the zoom setting high enough (not really practical in my opinion) or if you edit the POIs. If you add @0 to the end of the name (eg MyPOI@0) then these POIs will be treated as 'special' - like the speed cameras - and you will be alerted with the dreaded 'boings' and the icon appearing on the display. However for your LPG stations all you really need is to know where the nearest one is when you need it - which is what the Navigate to Custom POI is all about - it even lists them in the right order for you! I really don't recommend adding @0 to the end of all your POI's - unless you are really stuck for something to listen to. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: