Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change pre installed maps ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change pre installed maps ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuviNewby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Change pre installed maps ? Reply with quote

Wonder if anyone can help with this Q?
I bought a Nuvi 310 from t'internet off of Pixmania.com. The pre loaded maps on the unit are of France. I have installed the UK ones from the Map Source CD onto a SD card and the unit works ok, but slowly.
Is it possible to remove the French maps and install UK ones on the unit itself, thus freeing up more memory?
More importantly HOW do I do it?

Thanks

G
A5tra_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I;m aware if you upload uk only maps it will overwrite the france maps, so if you wanted both you would have to select and re upload as well even though its currently installed. Basicly when ever new data is uploaded it over writes existing hence you have to re upload currently uploaded data as you would with poi's.
NuviNewby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.... But I didnt really understand a word of it...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A5tra_G wrote:
As far as I;m aware if you upload uk only maps it will overwrite the france maps
Although that's in principal how it works, MapSource never modifies the built in map segment (in this case, France) - it only changes the additional map segment files, so by simply uploading the UK will not overwrite the built in mapping.

Although I can think of a way to overwrite the French map, I'm not sure I would recommend it, as I have a few concerns with the method, including that there may be problems with the unlock system used by Garmin if this was done.

However, I've never felt the mapping on the SD card was any slower than the standard memory - why do you think it's slower?

Oh, and no, "freeing up memory" won't make any difference to the Nuvi - it has plenty of spare memory...
NuviNewby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
By slower I mean that there seems to be a delay between actual location on the road and the location displayed on the unit. sometimes as much as 6 seconds, particularly when turning or going round roundabouts. I thought that putting the UK map onto the Nuvi would free up more space on the SD card, which it would, for more Mp3s, but also allow the nuvi to read straight from its own memory rather than having to do it all from the SD card.
If I read you right, there is no difference in speed of "map reading" from the Nuvi or the Sd card. And moving the UK map from one to t'other wont improve the map lag,.
I thought it may be useful to be able to remove the SD card from time to time to update music etc, and still be able to use the Nuvi without it, albeit temporarily.
How would this affect the "Garmin Lock" that you referred to ?

Ta

G
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you following a route when you observe these delays? If not then some delays at junctions is to be expected as it doesn't know which way you may have gone until it gets an unambiguous position that allows it to lock onto one or other of the roads.

With my 660 I have noticed that this is particularly true if the choice of roads are of the same classification (eg B roads). I think this is due, in part, to the software that locks your position to the road - which is necessary as the GPS could be 5-20 metres out .

If you are following a route then this delay is unacceptable. I think there was a similar thread a few days ago about this and the problem was fixed by resetting the unit.

Added:

See the posts in http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55174for details
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Phil - the map running behind is not a mapping problem per se, it's a well spotted Nuvi issue (I've seen it on my Nuvi where the UK maps are in the internal memory), and it does seem to only occur when a route is not set.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: