Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie - TomTom One v Nuvi 310
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie - TomTom One v Nuvi 310
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackojackouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie - TomTom One v Nuvi 310 Reply with quote

Hi guys

My g/f just bought me a TomTom One for my birthday (not for another 8 weeks +) as it was on a special offer of £140 at Currys.

I suggested this one as I wrongly believed I could use my Bluetooth function on my k800i for voice dialing.

A friend has since suggested the Nuvi 310 but I was wondering if some ppl on here could give me some pointers as too how they compare on other features, ie routing, camera alerts, different voices and do they say for example "left at next junction" or left onto "London Road".

I will be using it in a convertible and at present my car charger doesn't work (I know I need to get this sorted)

Please give me some tips/advice etc as I might need to send the TomTom One back

Cheers

WJUK
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, neither device will read out road names, for this you would need Text To Speech - a far more costly device.
The TomTom will accept other voices and they are readily available, the Garmin is capable of accepting alternate voices but it is far more troublesome to create them (they are not readily available).
Both devices will support spoken camera alerts, in use the TomTom is better in use for this IMHO.
As for handsfree with the mobile the Garmin Nuvi 310 will do this, the TomTom One will not, you need a TomTom Go-x10 device for this - only the 910 offers Text To Speech and handsfree mobile capability - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Amazon - I bought my wife a nuvi 310 for £158 a couple of weeks ago. Handsfree phone was one of the musts - she hates BT headsets - and it works very well in this mode. She also likes it's neat size. She actually likes the user interface compared to my old TomTom6 Navigator system. For me the jury is still out - it does somethings well and others are not intuitive. She has the speed cameras using Liz Whittakers voice alerts loaded - yes it's not a simple as TomTom to do - but once you have the hang of it - it's fairly automatic. No Text-to-Speech - but that's not a must have in my book (although my 660 does have it and I am getting used to having my text messages read to me). Also you are limited on voices (one English).
wackojackouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Check out Amazon - I bought my wife a nuvi 310 for £158 a couple of weeks ago. Handsfree phone was one of the musts - she hates BT headsets - and it works very well in this mode. She also likes it's neat size. She actually likes the user interface compared to my old TomTom6 Navigator system. For me the jury is still out - it does somethings well and others are not intuitive. She has the speed cameras using Liz Whittakers voice alerts loaded - yes it's not a simple as TomTom to do - but once you have the hang of it - it's fairly automatic. No Text-to-Speech - but that's not a must have in my book (although my 660 does have it and I am getting used to having my text messages read to me). Also you are limited on voices (one English).

Thanks for your input guys

I've heard the TomTom's sound is very clear/good - is this the same with the Garmin?

And is this the same with the Bluetooth Hands Free on the Nuvi?

To be honest I don't think I will use it that much anyway but my idea rather than buying a cheap one from Tesco/Toys R Us et al was to get a decent one and the brand TomTom and what I thought offered Bluetooth instead of my jabra headset attracted me.

Sorry for all the questions and stuff but want to get the right one for the right price

WJUK

ps - I drive a convertible so not sure how good the sound would be in there too?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is good on Garmin 310 - given the small size of the unit. Don't expect much in the way of rumbling bass! Also you get a headphone socket which you can use to connect it into your car radio - you get very good sound then. You could then play MP3 into your radio and get the handsfree/directions/warnings as loud as you like!

Convertibles are problematic with most sorts of handsfree from a volume/audibility (for receiver of call as well as sender). Still in UK you won't have the top down that often Laughing Probably best to stick with BT earpiece as even with the roof up a convertible is still noisy (unless it's one of the metal roof convertibles - which are nice and quiet).
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wackojackouk Smile
I'm like you and mulled over the TT One and Nuvi310 question .. I went the way of the Nuvi purely for the bluetooth (which I can't get to work with my K800i at the mo Evil or Very Mad ) - more on that later!!

The MP3 player is pretty nifty in that it'll stop playing a song for alerts and calls 8) The sound quality in the nuvi (if I'm right, here) has been sorted with a 'fix' in the ver3.90 firmware upgrade. I never experienced a nuvi post v3.90 so can't compare but the quality is good and clear on mine.

Hope this helps .. Smile
wackojackouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabtt wrote:
Hi wackojackouk Smile
I'm like you and mulled over the TT One and Nuvi310 question .. I went the way of the Nuvi purely for the bluetooth (which I can't get to work with my K800i at the mo Evil or Very Mad ) - more on that later!!

The MP3 player is pretty nifty in that it'll stop playing a song for alerts and calls 8) The sound quality in the nuvi (if I'm right, here) has been sorted with a 'fix' in the ver3.90 firmware upgrade. I never experienced a nuvi post v3.90 so can't compare but the quality is good and clear on mine.

Hope this helps .. Smile

Cheers m8

Could you let me know wot problems you are having with the Bluetooth functionality and your k800i?

Thing is I have the TT1 albeit as a birthday present and not sure whether to keep it (cost £135) or go for the Nuvi (£158).

TT1 Voices etc are appealing and stuff whereas Hands Free on the Nuvi but as I mentioned I have a convertible so maybe it won't be much cop even with the hood up and perhaps I should stick with the earpiece

LMK your probs anyway

WJUK
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted a request for help re my bluetooth issue here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55539 but, in a nutshell, I can pair my nuvi and mob but when attempting to make/receive calls via my nuvi I can't hear anything. If you're familiar with the K800i maybe there's something I've not done with it.. Confused ps I've paired before with bluetooth headsets.

Failed to mention before - if you fancy Text-to-Speech you may want to consider the nuvi 360 but it's a jump in price as mentioned.
wackojackouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers m8

Interesting about your probs and it seems it's not just you - a little off putting to be honest but I guess it will get fixed.

Funny enough I popped into Halfrauds today and a guy there said he always uses the Gamin ones over TomTom even though TT are the biggest sellers.

He did say that the TT maps are better and easier for rerouting than the Nuvi

Anyone comment on this - how easy is this to do on the Nuvi?

WJUK
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what he meant by that remark Confused

I think you will find that the mapping used by GARMIN is probably more up to date and accurate than that in a TomTom (I have TT6 V660 maps and nuvi 310/660 units).

As for the re-routing - not sure what is meant here. Both systems do re-routing in a reasonably efficient and rapid manner. The TomTom has the edge if you want to plan a journey with a lot of intermediate stops (Itinerary planning). He may have meant the avoid part of route or do an alternative route function on TomTom.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUPLICATE - edited out

Last edited by philpugh on Mon May 14, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUPLICATE Edited out

Last edited by philpugh on Mon May 14, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about multiple posting just then - having problems with our network at present.
wackojackouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Not sure what he meant by that remark Confused

I think you will find that the mapping used by GARMIN is probably more up to date and accurate than that in a TomTom (I have TT6 V660 maps and nuvi 310/660 units).

As for the re-routing - not sure what is meant here. Both systems do re-routing in a reasonably efficient and rapid manner. The TomTom has the edge if you want to plan a journey with a lot of intermediate stops (Itinerary planning). He may have meant the avoid part of route or do an alternative route function on TomTom.

Hi Phil

I think he said something about if you are on a route and get stuck in traffic the TT is better for planning an alternative route from where you are at the time. He said you could do it quickly on the TT but would have to go back up a few stages for the Nuvi?

Do you know wot he was talking about? and is TT better for this?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - that makes sense. Yes the TomTom does have this functionality more readily available to the user.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: