Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 360T sluggish at following road - Sorted!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 360T sluggish at following road - Sorted!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 360T sluggish at following road - Sorted!! Reply with quote

I spent some time last night downloading the PGPS camera database and a few POI categories into my Nuvi 360T, which appeared to go without a glitch. However, viewing the map whilst driving to work this morning, i noticed the arrow indicator was a good 30 yards behind where i actually was on the road virtually all the time and the graphics seem to be much slower to update too. I've only got the map detail set to "normal" in 3D mode (i had run it with Most detail before and it seemed ok). I think the only setting i changed after downloading the POIs and Cameras was the Proximity Points Alerts, which i changed to tick Custom POIs and Garmin Safety Cameras.

Any ideas why it's become so sluggish?

It's running 3.60 software with V9 maps - everything up to date according to Garmin's updater.

NOTE: I have changed the title of this thread as it has subsequently been proven not to be caused by the PGPS POIs or Camera database. Apologies to the team for implying this was the case.

Last edited by petepda on Sun May 13, 2007 7:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
Can I suggest the following that may help.

No 1 A stupid one is that do you have the Wass Egnos on or off.

No 2, If you have the PGPSW speed cameras in do not use the Garmin speed cameras as well. I think that you will have 2 lots of speed cams trying to be used at the same time.

Hope that this works

Cheers

Jerry
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response barecheek.

1. I have WASS/EGNOS off - no idea what this is and what difference it makes though - can you enlighten me please?

2. I do still have the Garmin speed cameras in there i think - at least i haven't deleted them, so i'll give that a go too.

I've been investigating this a bit further. Even with "normal" detail on the maps (the middle option), it's only updating the screen every 2 to 3 seconds. It doesn't even recognise i've gone round a round about until i'm well out the other side. The pointer also seems to go sideways down a road (aka drifting!) after taking a bend , so it's recognising that i've changed direction but the maps haven't caught up. It also doesn't recognise that i've taken a slip road off a motorway until i hit the roundabout at the junction. It's generally so sluggish.

I'm thinking what else i may have changed recently. I took the TMC12 out in case that was causing it. I also took out the SD card i installed recently, just with some MP3s and photos, but that made no difference either.

I'll try deleting the Garmin cameras and report back tomorrow. Failing that, i'm going to remove the POIs i loaded first, then the PGPSW cameras to see if i can get it back to how it was.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to go to the trouble of deleting the Garmin supplied camera information simply disable the warnings by un-ticking the Garmin Safety Cameras check box - Mike
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8

petepda wrote:

1. I have WASS/EGNOS off - no idea what this is and what difference it makes though - can you enlighten me please?

These are the correction satellite systems for the Americas / Europe region.

It's basically a system of ground stations all receiving the GPS signals and calculating the differences between what they receive and the position they actually are on. With the data combined from those locations, a central computer calculates the degradation of the signals when entering the earth atmosphere and the errors from the satellites itself.
This forms some kind of correction data which are then sent out from geostationary satellite positions from above the equator.
That data combined with the data from the GPS sats results in a better precision in determine the current location.
But it also requires some more calculation to incorporate that data, which might slow down the unit somewhat (not sure about that, or if it's done within the GPS chip itself?!).

BeatO
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a route planned - Nuvis have a habit (especially when loaded with POIs and mp3s) of lagging when a route is not set, but cope well when a route is set (no one quite knows why though).
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these tips - i'll try playing with the WASS/EGNOS and unticking the Garmin cameras.

The other comment about not having a route set is true though - i've just been using it to monitor my daily travel to/from work. I'll try setting it a route and see how it copes then, but i've a feeling this may be it as i never noticed this lag when i first got the unit when i was getting it to calculate routes everywhere.

I'll report back soon with results.
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done some more playing with this:

- switched off the Garmin cameras - no apparent difference
- switched on/off WASS/EGNOS - no apparent difference
- moved unit to a different location in vehicle - no apparent difference

However, when i set it to follow a route, it seems more or less spot on, i.e. follows every junction and round-about as i cross them. How strange!

Thinking about it, i guess if it has an idea of where the car is likely to be going from a pre-determined route, it helps it narrow down the GPS data more accurately perhaps. I'm sure my previous TomTom running on my Windows Mobile phone didn't lag like this when not following a route though, so i'm not that impressed with Garmin for this! It's obviously not a limitation of GPS itself - more an inefficiency in the Nuvi. Surely i'm not alone in wanting to have the Nuvi running even without following a planned route, just to get warnings of speed-cameras etc.?

I think i'll set up a trial with the TomTom and Nuvi running side by side.

Anyone else have views on this?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petepda wrote:
Done some more playing with this:

- switched off the Garmin cameras - no apparent difference
- switched on/off WASS/EGNOS - no apparent difference
- moved unit to a different location in vehicle - no apparent difference

However, when i set it to follow a route, it seems more or less spot on, i.e. follows every junction and round-about as i cross them. How strange!

I suspect that part of the problem is that when no route is set then the unit needs to make sure which road you are taking at any junction you come to. With the 'lock to centre line' calulation you can be quite a distance past the junction before it is 'certain' which road you are on. On my usual trip to work I have the unit on for the handsfree but no route set. There is one junction where the display shows that I have turned right (car icon swings through 90deg) but it stays at the junction for 2-3 secs before showing me moving down the road.

TomTom does something similar - but it is more pronounced with the nuvi.
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what i'm seeing is the same as this though. As an example, i'm approaching a roundabout at usual speed, but even when i'm half way round it, the Nuvi still shows me approaching it. Likewise with side roads - i'll go way past the side road before the Nuvi even shows it on the screen, then it realises i've gone past it and jumps forward. I used to like using the TomTom just to see what's ahead, e.g. what's round the next corner, or how tight the bend is, but i cant do this with my Nuvi as it seems to be tracking a car 30 yards behind me!
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought i'd update this in case anyone has the same issue.

I wrote to Garmin and got a response today, as follows:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe,

A master reset will resolve this. To master reset the unit please try the following;

with the device switched off, hold and press the top right hand corner of the touch screen, power the unit on in the usual way, as soon as the unit powers up, release the power button, but not the screen. The message 'Do you really want to erase all user data' will appear. Tap yes and then reset the device as prompted. wait for a gps fix before setting off on your journey.

This has happened due to no fault of yours. The unit has collected corrupt information from the satellites. This can happen occasionally if the signal is blocked by tall buildings etc. however this is not common.

I've followed the above procedure, which didn't erase all my favourites and POIs as i had expected it to. I'll try it out on the road tomorrow and let you know if it's sorted the problem.
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleased to report that this process has cleared the fault and the unit now follows the roads more or less spot on!

Thanks Garmin Customer Support!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: