Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat Nav system ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat Nav system ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stamford_1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Which Sat Nav system ? Reply with quote

I would like people's opinions on which Sat Nav unit they would recommend ?

I have been looking at the Streetpilot C500 series but I have seen the Nuvi series mentioned on here more often and I am not sure which is the better option.

I would like the TMC option and also the bluetooth handsfree if both of these are worth having. Also must have European mapping. Question

Thanks

Kevin
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Nuvi 310D for £250, just be aware of the issues with TMC. Another option is the MIO C510e from Asda or Handtec for £150, you'll need to buy the TMC adapter separately, £70. Many people have the C510D but the Nuvi is neater.
seacon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromised yet cheaper option:

If you're not that interested in TMC, and if UK & Ireland maps would suffice and you want bluetooth to your phone, the Nuvi 310 at £158 on Amazon is hard to beat.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the 310 from Amazon - bought one for the wife - got next day delivery even though I only paid for first class (usually 2-3 days they quote). Price is hard to beat.

Unless you do lots of driving on motorways / main trunk roads TMC isn't really worth getting excited about - if you find you need it you can always buy the TMC upgrade for the 310 - eBay has a few on offer usually.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Sat Nav system ? Reply with quote

Stamford_1 wrote:
I have been looking at the Streetpilot C500 series but I have seen the Nuvi series mentioned on here more often and I am not sure which is the better option.

I have a StreetPilot C510 and a recently acquired Nüvi 310. IMHO, the Streetpilot is 'streets ahead' of the Nüvi as an in-car Sat Nav.

Why do I say that? -- well because you can actually hear it! The audio quality of the Nüvi (apart from a distinct lack of volume) is no where near as good as the C510. (...and of course, we've got the Text-to-speech voices on the C510 ;-). A friend of mine's unbiased opinion of the Nüvi's audio was 'pathetic' (He doesn't own a SatNav).

This is a consequence of the small case of course, but even that's a bit of a disappointment, because to use it as a hand-held portable unit, you have to fold out the aerial/receiver - and suddenly it's not that small any more.

Of course the Nüvi can do other things, as well as navigate (Anyone want to know how many Venezuelian Bolivars there are to the Vietnamese Dong?) - but it's supposed to be an Automotive unit.

There are some intriguing differences in the software as well. One of the most noticeable is related to Proximity Alerts. The C510 needs you to be on the same road as the alert (if you're in 'map' mode), or your route needs to take you past the alert (if you're in 'routing' mode). The Nüvi appears to be implementing a proximity 'circle'.

So, there I am, sat at the traffic lights in a leafy South Manchester suburb, when what comes booming out of my powered, attached speakers... "Caution - you are in an average speed camera zone". Technology eh? -- the passers-by thought it was amusing anyway!

(The alert was actually being triggered by the nearby M60 - the spoken message was courtesy of the Nüvi's ability to have custom mp3's for alerts.)

On the plus side, the Bluetooth handsfree works surprisingly well ... and I suppose the mp3 player could be be useful...

The downside to the Streetpilot, is of course, its bulk. (...and on the Garmin UK Price list, it's shown as discontinued)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of that, although the latest firmwares have at least made the volume level of the Bluetooth Handsfree actually usable.

As for things like mp3 - I use this and have my Nuvi connected to my car stereo so from a single device I can listen to music, which is interrupted with navigation instructions, yet I can also receive calls.

From a personal viewpoint, I prefer the mount of the Nuvi, which allows me to easily attach and detach the unit from the rest of the mount which is permanently fitted to the car (not so easy with the Streetpilot range - I was concerned with whether the ball mount would be as effective after a few years of constant plugging and unplugging...)
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
the latest firmwares have at least made the volume level of the Bluetooth Handsfree actually usable.

I took the vpm file apart with Ash10's software and increased the volume of each individual .wav file (using sox). It helped a bit.

Quote:
As for things like mp3 - I use this
I could be tempted - but my entire music collection is currently in WMA format Sad
Quote:
and have my Nuvi connected to my car stereo
I used a 'purchased in error' Tevion 'thing' from Aldi - there was enough room in the Freelander's fusebox to jam it inside.

This gpsXo device looks intriguing - it doesn't offer a power boost, just the use of a better speaker. It would have the advantage of being able to still use the CD & Radio though.

Quote:
...the mount of the Nuvi, which allows me to easily attach and detach the unit from the rest of the mount which is permanently fitted to the car...
This confused me at first - I kept unclipping it at the ball, and then finding I had another piece to remove before I could fold it up. I agree, it's much easier to leave that bit behind as well. I bit the bullet and used the dashboard disc instead of sticking it to the windscreen.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
This gpsXo device looks intriguing - it doesn't offer a power boost, just the use of a better speaker. It would have the advantage of being able to still use the CD & Radio though.
My only concern is...
" Easy to install, hard wired connections made via terminal blocks eliminating the need to crimp or solder wires in most installations."
...so instead I would have to cut into the existing wiring, which would be even more difficult to fix on selling the vehicle.

A nice idea though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: