Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the one I tried fit perfectly.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterproofing? Outdoors? Wild camping?

It is no more than sticking a unit into the almost proverbial plastic bag.

Tends to help recycle things after eating the bagel that occupied the see thru bag in the first place.

Once I became used to outdoors things necessity really does become the mother of invention Embarassed

B3
Bluecan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful device this is. I have used a Socket BTGPS for 12 months but was so taken up with the review I decided to invest in the Fortuna.

I am disabled and have a Brodit mounting bracket on my electric Mobility Scooter. I have used GPS to navigate the streets of London using TomTom Navigator 2 in map mode. I also use a Brodit mount for my Ipaq 2210 when using the kit in my Picasso.

Having received the Fortuna unit yesterday I decided to give it a test.
My wife and I drove from our home to a local covered in shopping mall. I deliberately set the Fortuna to the XT mode. Driving on the M62 motorway for some 10 miles I did not notice any lag in this mode. As a reference for this I noted my position when driving under overbridges and saw that the blue arrow of TTN2 was in sync with the route.

However, my amazement was total when on arrival at the Shopping Mall I transferred the kit to my Mobility Scooter.

Obviously TTN2 maps don't cover inside a shopping mall, and I know my way around anyway, but with the unit set to GPS status the unit remained locked on with between 4 & 7 satellites showing as I rode through the covered in mall. The mall has a partial glass roof but I only lost coverage when entering ceratin shops.

For some reason when I went into BHS the unit showed 4 satellites and that was when I was on the ground floor of a two storey department store. What a machine!

Alan Paul
DICKY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Dave

Unlike other forum members I have had a nightmare with the Fortuna.

I currently am trying to combine it with a Toshiba e800 and TomTom 2 which I purchased from PDAMOD in the UK who assured me the combination would work, it does not!

How extensively did you test the unit as an in car navigation system?

I am having an absolute nightmare getting the Fortuna to lock onto satellites even as a standalone unit (regardless of the mode selected). More annoyingly the unit appears to take an annoyingly long time (1.5 hours) to establish lock if I switch it on and start driving.

Interestingly the unit does lock in well when used walking or when my car is stationary. I have tested the positioning accuracy using Auto route 2004 connected via a Bluetooth link to my Toshiba laptop and I have to say it looks good.

Sorry to be so negative but I am very frustrated and disappointed.

mark
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DICKY wrote:
How extensively did you test the unit as an in car navigation system?

Around 60 hours prior to the review, and a good 300 hours since without any problems!

DICKY wrote:
I am having an absolute nightmare getting the Fortuna to lock onto satellites even as a standalone unit (regardless of the mode selected). More annoyingly the unit appears to take an annoyingly long time (1.5 hours) to establish lock if I switch it on and start driving.

Why aren't you waiting until you have a 3D lock before commencing your journey ? It will take approx 1-2 mins to acquire a 3D lock, if you commence driving you will see 45+ minutes to obtain a lock.

I would also check to see if you have a UV coated windscreen, this could be dampening GPS signals.
Neurotic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Battery compatibility Reply with quote

I still do not see any posts with the exact information, what Battery is compatible with the Clip-On....is it the Nokia 3310?

If anybody know, please post it.

Neurotic
2-jags
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Fortuna bluetooth gps Reply with quote

I had many problems in trying to get this to work with my Ipaq 2750 and Tomtom 3 software. Found out that I had to get the upgrade from Tomtom, from version 3.03 to 3.07 once this was loaded the ipaq found the bluetooth and it was working within seconds. I have used the Tomtom wired receiver, a compact flash receiver and now have used this Fontuna bluetooth one. out of all of them the fontuna was the best by miles had upto 10 satelites tracking it and is easy to use, no wires with the benefit of using nokia phone batteries, if need be you can carry a spare battery with you. This really is worth every penny.
2-jags
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery compatibility Reply with quote

Neurotic wrote:
I still do not see any posts with the exact information, what Battery is compatible with the Clip-On....is it the Nokia 3310?

If anybody know, please post it.

Neurotic

I do believe it is the Nokia 8310 battery that fits. If you want to make sure take the battery from the gps down to the phone store and ask them to compare it to the replacement one for a 8310
Pimms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,
This may or may not be the correct place to ask this but does anyone know what profile to set theTTN3 GPS s/w (on an Ipaq) to so it works with the Fortuna receiver? I've tried all combinations of SiRF, NMEA 0183 drivers - both Bluetooth & 38400 settings - all to no avail. I'm wondering if the device is faulty. (Ipaq works OK with TomTom BT receiver.)
Cheers
P/
Pimms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional info to above post. Bluetooth connects OK so it looks as if it's the next layer up that's not communicating e.g. the 'PPC to GPS dish' icon in the status window of the TTN3 GPS s/w is not showing any comms taking place.
MK-IIa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Fortuna Clip-on Reply with quote

I have a pair of these, following an ordering cock-up with PDAMods, and have to say that I am not impressed so far.

I am trying to use with the Compaq Ipaq 3870 and TomTom Navigator. All software is successfully loaded on the PDA, however:

Sad Bluetooth connection is not 'stable' - frequently drops out at either PDA or the Clip-on

Sad When the Bluetooth is satisfactory, the next level internal comms fails - the connection to the SPP slave tends to fall out. ("serial port connection to Clip-on BTGPS was terminated")

Sad If I have surmounted both previous hurdles - and the clip-on is showing that it has acquired satellites....it makes no difference, because the satellite software within TomTom can't see a thing !

I accept that I may be doing something fundamentally stupid Embarassed can anyone out there help before my clip-on joins the satellites ?! Evil or Very Mad
Jo123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fortuna / iPAQ/ AA Navigator system in my car and travel expensively on business. On the whole, I am happy with Fortuna but wish it was more sensitive. The instructions, on motorways and in large towns, are sometime late/inaccurate and the crucial few minutes can mean a detour or dangerous confusion. Any ideas how to improve this?
CheshireCat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo123 wrote:
I have a Fortuna / iPAQ/ AA Navigator system in my car and travel expensively on business. On the whole, I am happy with Fortuna but wish it was more sensitive. The instructions, on motorways and in large towns, are sometime late/inaccurate and the crucial few minutes can mean a detour or dangerous confusion. Any ideas how to improve this?

The ST/XT switch allows a trade-off between speed of response and accuracy. Using the Clip-On in XT (sensitive) mode with Memory-Map on an iPAQ 4150, I find no perceptible difference in time between passing a landmark such as a motorway bridge and the map display showing me passing a bridge. It's possible that route-finding software is using the iPAQs CPU more heavily than M-M, hence the delay you are seeing.
Sometimes my Clip-On refuses to fix or takes a ridiculously long time to get even a poor fix. So far, removing the battery for a few minutes has always cleared this.
Good luck!
ckenway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have had mine for 15 months now, well not actually the same one for this time. The first one went bang after 6 weeks complete with smoke. The second one has finally given up, shows no interest in charging and cannot get a lock. The fix, well I was told to remove the battery for 72 hours then install it and try again. Well you think they are having a laugh but then you think why not, yep they were having a laugh.

WHEN it worked is was good now it's in the dustbin and I have to look for another but it won't be a Fortuna thats for sure.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: This is certainly one of the best BT GPS I have ever owned Reply with quote

I bought mine in December 2003, from PDAMODS, I used mine in a proof of concept data logger / alarm system interfaced to a mobile phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: