Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Comunity speed control area???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Comunity speed control area???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the submission and speed at which they appear on the database do new cameras appear on the Google Map on the submission page once confirmed but before they are in a released database?? I thought I'd found a new camera a week ago, when i went to submit it it already showed on the map but definitely wasn't in the database until the latest release a few days later. GATSO:31261@30 is the one.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
With regards to the submission and speed at which they appear on the database do new cameras appear on the Google Map on the submission page once confirmed but before they are in a released database?? I thought I'd found a new camera a week ago, when i went to submit it it already showed on the map but definitely wasn't in the database until the latest release a few days later. GATSO:31261@30 is the one.

correct Smile

the idea being that once we have 'activated' a new camera people can see it is in the master database and hopefully not keep submitting it - speeds up the rest of the submissions if we don't have 75 for the same camera!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
With regards to the submission and speed at which they appear on the database ....
You've gotta hand it to them, sometimes these guys are as fast as **** off a hot shovel! Twisted Evil You're going to have to get up a lot earlier to beat some of the submitters - it looks like this time you didn't even get up early enough to send in one of the several confirmatory submissions! Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a friend of mine (County Road Safety Officer) about these "civilians" with speed guns. Apparently, the legal bit is that a police officer must "form the opinion" that a vehicle is speeding. Based on that opinion they may then take a speed reading as confirmation. These civilians are unable legally to "form an opinion", so the readings cannot be used as evidence. The police will however send a scary letter in the hope of educating the driver. If the civilians produce masses of speeders, the police may well operate their own speed trap, and the drivers who are used to seeing civvies in dayglo get a nasty shock.

What has spilled out from this is that the film can be used to prosecute mobile phone users, and they are getting regular hits. This doesn't need a policeman, as long as the film is time stamped, which of course it is.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, these community speed checks are all carried out in 30mph speed limit areas (please correct me if I am wrong). So surely we should all be in no doubt what the speed limit is, without being reminded of it. Maybe I am being simplistic. Please feel free to load your weapons.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is unlawful for a civilian to "form the opinion" that the speeding motorist – is speeding, so subsequently no prosecution and basically a wasted exercise, would it not be better for the police to improve relations with the already stressed motorist by using different methods?

Rather than a group of old age pensioners or out of work volunteers, causing tempers by faking a possible “nick” by pointing a gun at the car, I would have thought that the sign that flashes the speed limit before you enter the designated area, would be of more use.

In my area they have used these on 30mph roads as a temp sign, just for a few hours, without upsetting the motorist and it most definitely does work.
I notice that even in permanent sign areas, most motorists do heed these flashing signs and brake when they see them, so maybe it would be better approached if these community spirited people were “armed” with a flashing mobile sign.

There will always be some loony that will ignore what ever is put up.

I thought the general idea was to educate not prosecute!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF

Whilst I agree to some extent to what you are saying, it has shown through studies carried out that seeing someone at the side of a road with a fluorescent jacket and a radar gun, definately causes people to slow down. It is not 'unlawful' for a civilian to form an opinion on speed, but no prosecution will be implimented in these circumstances. obviously locals will soon get to know that yellow jackets in their village are not Police and therefore may continue to speed. But you could also argue that locals also also know that the flashing 30 sign is not going to result in a prosecution either.

The point behind it is that some community groups feel so strongly about speeding in their towns and villages that they are prepared to use their own time to try to persuade motorists to slow down. Can we really jump up and down about someone caring about road safety ? These community groups report their findings to their local Police, who then may decide to give the area more attention if they feel it merits it.

I would argue that a granny in a yellow jacket, when seen from a distance may well be mistaken for a Police enforcement check and would have a greater effect on speeding motorists than a flashing sign, which cannot enforce anything. I don't want to seem dismissive of these flashing signs as any attempt to reduce speed in our towns and villages will have its merit.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: