Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does the battery Charge?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the battery Charge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itzme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Does the battery Charge? Reply with quote

I have an iCN 530. In these forums we seemed to establish that, if the main power is in the ON position (even if the unit is off) the battery doesn't actually INCREASE its current charge even if the unit is plugged into the lighter. Here's the question. If I plug it into my lighter, and my battery Power Status indicator shows 50%, and I turn the bottom/main switch to OFF, will the battery charge? If so, about how much driving will it take to get it to 100%?

Has anyone tried this?
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In these forums we seemed to establish that, if the main power is in the ON position (even if the unit is off) the battery doesn't actually INCREASE its current charge even if the unit is plugged into the lighter

This is not true. I have an iCN 530 too and I haven't had any problems with charging it. May be there is some confusion here related to the fact that whilst the unit is charging (regardles of whether you charge it using the lighter of your car or the USB port of your PC or a mains charger) it always shows 50%. Only when you disconnect it from the lighter/USB port/whatever you can see the level it has been charged to.
Also the yellow light becomes green when it is 100% charged.
So there is no need to turn the main switch off or do any other tricks. Just plug it in the lighter and enjoy your drive :-)
Itzme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have to charge mine with the computer (green light- 100%)then I leave it on the ON position for about 10 days (yellow/charging), then it dies after about 10 days. It just wont work til I charge it on the computer again. Also, mine doesn't show any percent when its plugged into the lighter, it just says "Charging" If I pull out the cord, it reads the level, which always is a declining number.
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it just says "Charging"

You are right, the Navman preferences screen says "charging". Sorry, it is 50% if you check the battery level with some other tools.
Quote:
It just wont work til I charge it on the computer again.

I am not sure about this situation. I don't think I have ever started driving with a fully discharged battery. It is usually charged to a certain level and I have the feeling that the numbers increase after it has been plugged into the lighter for some time, but I'll check this again the next time I use it.
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a borrowed f20 and this seems to happen (which would tie in with your problem)
If you have it on charge in the car but don't actually turn it on, it charges, but...it doesn't seem to actually charge the unit if you run it whilst it is plugged in.
Try turning the power switch off whilst you are in the car.
Itzme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav, thanks for confirming. Out of curiousity, I'm going to charge on the computer until I get the green light. I'll use it until it gets to around 90%, then I'll surn it to the Hard Off and let it charge from the lighter. I wonder if it'll charge to Green again. I know it wouldn't ever do that in the Soft Off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: